U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 PM

101 posts, read 401,831 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea how common redshirting or waiting a year to start a child in kindergarten is in Westchester County? NY has one of latest cut-off dates- so wondering if it is as common as I have been hearing. Do people generally hold back late summer birthday boys? What about Fall? Is this not as common as it seems? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,555,553 times
My son's birthday was this week and we held him back a year from Kindergarten. Most of the boys we know with birthdays in late October to December were held back. It depends on the kid, of course, and also on the district's cut-off, which can be anywhere from December 1 to January 1.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM

701 posts, read 2,922,083 times
Same with my son. His birthday is in 3 weeks. We held him back. We were concerned with him repeating a year at the same mediocre pre-school and getting bored, so we switched him to a Montessori school for his last pre-school year. Interestingly, the "red flag" is common enough, that he is in a class of children all in the same situation -- the entire class is October-December birthdays, being held for one extra year of pre-school.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 PM

9,403 posts, read 13,345,874 times
I was born in the end of November and my parents held me back, so I was almost 6 when I started.

Truth be told, I think it was a good decision. I was one of the smartest kids in my class and one of the most mature. There is a big difference in mental capacity of children who are 4 turning 5, than 5 turning 6. I am sure if my parents had started me earlier, I definitely wouldn't have been smarter than the other kids. I think I would have struggled a lot.

What is the rush to start so early? Do you really want your kid to be 4 years old and in Kindergarten?

By the way, girls get held back too. I'm a girl. It's a decision that is up to the parent but affects both genders.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 10-27-2009 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,717 times
It is very common to hold the boys back. But my son just turned 5(September 27th) and is in kindergarten now. Honestly, he is one of the smartest kids in his class. There are only 3 or 4 kids in his class that are born in fall. The rest will be 6 from January till April. It all depends on the kid. I think that its not right to hold every single boy back just because its very common.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 AM

223 posts, read 681,986 times
I think its a bit ridiculous-there is always going to be someone who is the youngest in their class. Most kids adapt. My birthday was then end of September- I was an A student and I have a few good friends with December birthdays(cutoff was end of December) and they were some of the best students I know. My son misses the cutoff by 12 days-I am worried he is actually going to be bored with two more years of preschool. I would never hold him back if he was a November birthday unless there were specific reasons, not to make him the oldest in his class. Parents are way too comepetitive IMO.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 11,717 times
mfenimore, I totally agree with you.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,555,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenimore View Post
I think its a bit ridiculous-there is always going to be someone who is the youngest in their class. Most kids adapt. My birthday was then end of September- I was an A student and I have a few good friends with December birthdays(cutoff was end of December) and they were some of the best students I know. My son misses the cutoff by 12 days-I am worried he is actually going to be bored with two more years of preschool. I would never hold him back if he was a November birthday unless there were specific reasons, not to make him the oldest in his class. Parents are way too comepetitive IMO.
As I said, it depends on the kid. My decision to hold my son back a year had nothing to do with "competitiveness." It was a realistic evaluation of his attention span and ability to focus on academics for long stretches of time--and a desire to give him another year focussed on creative play, which is the greatest learning experience for any young child. Many, if not most, 5 year old boys simply are not ready for the academic load of today's kindergarten. Skills that were taught in second grade as recently as 5 years ago are now required to be taught in Kindergarten in NY. I look back at curriculums I designed 10 years ago for thrid grade and those skills are now required in K. Today's Kindergarten has a heavy load of skills instruction and little time for play--and it is simply not developmentally appropriate for many kids, especially boys. I think parents just need to take a realistic look at their kids. The most critical thing is that a child's first "real school" experience be a postive one and not a frustrasting one.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 AM

701 posts, read 2,922,083 times
I couldn't agree with dma more. No 2 children are alike. Certainly, there are younger children who are ready for kindergarten immediately.

But there is often a big different in maturity and intellect between a 4 1/2 year old and 5 1/2 year old. With boys also maturing a bit slower than girls, typically, it validly gives many parents, especially of young boys, a reason to pause and think.

It's not about "competitiveness," but it is about a child's self-confidence. It's not that I want my son to be the best in the class, but I don't want him to struggle to keep up and doubt himself, just because he is younger. Additionally, my son is very very small for his age. So at 4 1/2, he can pass for a 3 1/2 year old, so he would look very out of place in kindergarten. I expect he will always be on the small side, but giving him another year will let him catch up a bit in size, for the years to come.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:48 AM

9,004 posts, read 14,764,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenimore View Post
I agree with you. I think there should be a universal statewide cutoff (I always thought there was; January 1 but I know some districts that are Dec. 1).

I only know of one "redshirter", but she did it because she adopted her son from Russia at 4 and preferred "redshirting" to extensive ESL classes and possible special ed. He is 9 now and doing great!

But it must be becoming more common, I've heard rumors that Mt. Vernon (extreme lower Westchester) is thinking of changing the cutoff from Jan. 1 to Sept. 1. Yes, September 1 !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County