U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 AM

10 posts, read 66,078 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this neighborhood? I've noticed that there are several good deals on co-ops and condos on Old Mamaroneck Rd. We are considering relocating to White Plains, possibly renting first. I see that there are a couple of bus lines nearby. Great for convenience, but the close proximity to public transportation can be a nuisance depending on the area. The buildings we are looking at are 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 19, and 23 Old Mamaroneck Rd. We don't have kids, so schools are not a factor right now. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:52 PM

295 posts, read 1,362,513 times
I live near there.

I think it's a cute area. Very walkable to many stores, bars, ect. I think even walkable to the train (though more of a hike). I think it one of the nicest areas in White Plains.

Parking can be tough...make sure you have this covered.

My advice for anyone is rent 1st while you figure out an area.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks so much for the info!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 AM

367 posts, read 881,396 times
looks like a nice area. It's a decent walk to the main mamoreneck shopping area. My friend lives on mamoreneck ave about two blocks before it intersects with old mamoreneck road. We've walked from his place to some bars without any difficulty. But I am not sure I would do the same thing from much further down old mamoreneck road (especially in the winter).

Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 AM

205 posts, read 474,251 times
I used to live in 23 Old Mamaroneck. Moved 2 years ago. Many of the buildings are older and don't have adequate parking. The City put a significant extension on the Shapham Place lot a few years ago so permits are pretty easy to come by now (which isn't a guaranteed thing in many other municipal lots), but it's definately not as convenient as having parking on-site. That's probably one of the reasons why you can find some good deals in the area. The walk to your car might be a bit far from the low numbered buildings, so definately take this in to account. All and all, it's a nice area. Convenient to down town WP, but far enough out of the mix that it's not too hectic. I wouldn't worry about the bus lines. They don't run all that often, and Old Mamaroneck Rd is busy enough where a bus every now and then isn't very noticable.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. The neighborhood seems lovely. I agree that building age and parking are the most likely reasons for the lower prices.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,697,382 times
the buildings further towards bryant ave are old...there's a few newer ones as you get closer to the intersection where old mamaroneck ave meets mamaroneck ave (although that one one the intersection is old as well lol). Its a very convenient area, and quiet too. The only bus line that runs that way is the 60, its good if your traveling south or going to mamaroneck (especially in the morning).

Old 11-10-2009, 07:18 AM

8 posts, read 7,651 times
Default mamaroneck ave - old mamaroneck

great location - nice stores - good transportation -
where are you locating from ?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 AM

I'm coming from Manhattan.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:02 PM

27 posts, read 33,463 times
I was wondering what you decided. I am thinking of relocating from Manhattan as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County