U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,218,430 times

Advertisements

The size and scope of Westchester County Govt has enraged me for years. And, during Spano's tenure, county has shown no meaningful leadership in driving municipal and school district consolidation, an undertaking with enormous potential to reduce costs and taxes. Such an undertaking would also upset a lot of apple carts.

Any thoughts on how effective Asporino will be or how this will play out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM

701 posts, read 2,921,792 times
Quite a surprise result. Can't say I'm sorry to see Spano go. I doubt Aspirino will be any better. There will never be municipal or school district consolidation (last year, I posted an April fool's joke to that effect). We'll just have to kick Aspirino out next time around.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:29 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,218,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Quite a surprise result. Can't say I'm sorry to see Spano go. I doubt Aspirino will be any better. There will never be municipal or school district consolidation (last year, I posted an April fool's joke to that effect). We'll just have to kick Aspirino out next time around.
I share your sentiments. The non-consolidation story is an unfortunate reality. Just too many interests with enough resources to block it forever. Still, I'd love to see some pie-in-the-sky scenarios with projections on the tax benefits.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,384,533 times
Default good riddens taxmaster

His name is Astorino. Westchester Country is famous for high taxes and wasteful programs. Hundreds of millions for library construction in places like Elmsford to replace very serviceable library facilities that did not need to be replaced. Millions to waste on a "passport van (http://www.westchesterclerk.com/CCResources_Outreach.htm - broken link)" that drives around and snaps photos so residents can acquire a passport, meanwhile this service is available at every post office. These are just two examples of hundreds of wasteful programs that do little to improve quality of life and burden the taxpayers with onerous tax burdens to bear.

Westchester residents are an easy mark for this type of corruption, mainly due to their secure lifestyle, abundant resources and liberal indoctrination, they may not be aware of the gross failures of bloated government programs. In a way the taxes become a de facto form of class/ethnic segregation for these towns; the taxes make it so damn expensive that only the most successful could afford to live in these places. With the economy in tatters many have awoken to the corruption- Taxmaster Spano was shown the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County