Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 10:38 PM

202 posts, read 470,841 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any Good or Bad on Lewisboro Westchester??? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 PM

100 posts, read 628,792 times
Lewisboro is a nice town, it can be broken down into three hamlets: Goldens Bridge, South Salem, and Vista.

Lewisboro has this very rural, country atmosphere which is typical of a lot of Northern Westchester, but it more so a fact in Lewisboro which is general more isolated. It really lacks a suburban feel, but you are only about 45 miles from New York.

So as I hinted before, Lewisboro is generally isolated. Golden's Bridge, however, is located on Interstate 684 and on the Metro-North Harlem Line. South Salem is isolated, but is connected with Rt. 35 which links it with Katonah (in the town of Bedford) which is a major Metro-North hub and I-684 connection.

I would recommend staying away from Vista. These are all nice areas, in fact beautiful areas, but Vista is very, very isolated. In fact it is easier to reach Vista by getting off the Merritt and going in from new canaan connecticut. It is very isolated and you will find it to be a pain to get anywhere. Closest interstate and harlem line, metro north is in Katonah. However I am sure it is not a bad commute over to the New-Haven Line. Vista would not be a bad location if you were working in connecticut, say greenwich or stamford, but I would otherwise avoid it.

All of Lewisboro is in the Katonah-Lewisboro school district, which is a very good school district. John Jay High school is a top high school in the county.

So to sum of Lewisboro in one word it would be: rural. And this is the most accurate picture I can paint for you. They do have shopping centers but they are few and far between. Quality of Life is amazing, but you will soon find that it can be a pain to go anywhere, and no part of the town is considered a "walkable community." But to each his own. You will like Lewisboro, but please take into consideration what I said about tis isolation.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:06 PM

202 posts, read 470,841 times
Thank you for taking the time to eloquently describe the town. We are looking into a condo in the area... However, it is lactated near vista. I think that is what I liked about it. That is to say the Isolation. But what I loved is the fact (as you stated) there is opportunity close by for jobs in Stamford and Greenwich... How about Norwalk. Isn’t that also a big city too? Anyway, Lewisboro and the trees. Just love that tree line and serenity.

As for commuting... can you shed some light on the commute to NYC from there? I believe that New Canaan has a station. And what is the commute from Katonah? As for the merrit.... How is the drive on the merrit to say White Plains in the AM? How about the return trip in the PM?

As for the people there... can you tell me if they seem friendly, or are they distant? I have worked in Bedford and know what its like to work for the very wealthy. Are there similarities? Any info in this would be great.

Is there a "center of town" to lewisboro??? Also I am an architect so how about development in the area? Is there any? Can you foresee any in the future? I know predictions can be tough but I was just wondering if you know/heard anything??? Say perhaps expansion of a highway or roadway or perhaps expansion of the new canan commuter RR?

As you can see I'm digging for info so any info would be valuable for me. Again thank you so much for all info so far.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM

100 posts, read 628,792 times
Norwalk as well..the major business areas are Stamford and Greenwich but Norwalk you can do.

Out of curiousity, is it the Oakwood development? I passed by Vista for the first time and saw it. I figure from downtown Vista to the Katonah train station is about 20 minutes. Then Katonah to NYC is 1 hour 5 minutes.

I like the Merritt, it is a very nice parkway. It is generally traffic free and a nice, smooth ride. To white plains it is a smooth ride. But don't go to NYC on the Hutch (Merritt turns into Hutch when it enter New York). The road bottlenecks and three major highways converge. But as long as you get on 287 it should not be a problem. If I were to guess, maybe around 40-1hour to White Plains.

Each of the hamlets has a "downtown" but there really is not much in Vista. South Salem and Golden's Bridge are a little more developed, but not by much. Vista has a couple of gas stations, fire department, the Oakwood developement, and the Oakwood strip mall.

The whole thing in Westchester is "open space" so I do not know if they want development. Lewisboro does have some development, and there is quite a lot of space in which they can develop on, but I am not sure if they will.

People are generally friendly. Northern West. is nowadays a mix between the old timers (usually middle-class and friendly) and newer folks (the richer type).

Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:21 PM

79 posts, read 192,658 times
I know this area well.. mostly rural..

Old 05-16-2007, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,771 times
Default what about canaan?

Is Cannaan a safe area? Rural? any info would be a big help, especially about the character of the area -- friendly, isolated, etc. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County