U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,509 times

Advertisements

We are a young (28,24) white couple looking to relocate and were thinking about Yonkers. We are looking at 66Main and Hudson Park. We need to be near the train/water taxi for work. We have lived in Long Island, Bayside and New Rochelle (Avalon building). We like to go out to eat and occasionaly to a bar. We have 2 dogs and would be outside walking them alot. Is it safe to walk alone at night? We are looking for a non-ethnic related town but with a nice mix of people. The nearest grocery store to 66Main said it was an African Market. Does this reflect the area?

Is Yonkers right for us?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:58 AM

9,028 posts, read 14,808,300 times
Without going into a lot of details, I'd say right now you'd like it (though I'm not sure how far you could walk alone at night, that said, a lot of the restaurants and stores immediately nearby cater to those buildings and not the poorer neighborhoods adjacent to it). But if/when you decide to have kids you will probably need to think about schools. There are people who send their kids to private schools and despite the extreme bashing you will get here about Yonkers schools, there are some bright spots (a public Montessori elementary school if you like that sort of thing, an IB high school, etc.), but the trick to that is that you get in by lottery.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 PM

33 posts, read 135,028 times
66Main is located in Getty Square. You can google information about that area. It is currently undergoing an urban renewal process, so you would really need to visit to see if you are comfortable with the neighborhood. My son went to pre-k there ten years ago (for one week because I pulled him out). The school was located in the projects which were very unsafe. I particularly didn't like having to step over a passed out drunk with my 4 year old to get into the school.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,651 times
Default yonkers

Hi
I have lived on hudson street for 3 years ,1 block from main street and 3 blocks from river.My wife and I are in our 30's with 2 dogs and have met a lot of nice people in area.
no problems walking around at night always a lot of people on street,mta has a police prec. at yonkers train station.
most of new buildings residents are from NYC or around country.but it is the city so same rules as any city be aware of surroundings...
river front is nice,a lot of development planned
hope this helps

Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,651 times
sorry shopright is 2 blocks from 66 main,if you drive riverdale ave in riverdale section of bx is exactly 1 mile
new gym and bank are about to open in 66 main,not sure what else is going in the commercial spaces

Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM

16 posts, read 49,990 times
Do you know what after school care might be available for pre-k at Yonkers Montessori Academy? Thanks for the tips about this area...

Old 01-17-2010, 03:20 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,697,382 times
The waterfront area is interesting, nice buildings they've built along the waterfront and during the summertime the bars/restaurants over there have lots of foot traffic. Although the rest of the neighborhood is still in transition. The waterfront is great for young couples and younger people, as you walk further away from the waterfront your in more of a city neighborhood. Its a good block bad block type of thing but overall you'll meet lots of great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County