U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,017 times

Advertisements

What about Nyack or Larchmont? Those are funky, artsy towns on the water -- Nyack on the Hudson and Larchmont on Long Island Sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:16 PM

10 posts, read 36,018 times
Eggplant, I also would try Nyack. Large gay community. Very vibrant downtown - antiques, art galleries, restaurants and coffee shops. Right on the Hudson River (in fact you'd be getting off the first exit after coming over the TZ from Westchester so it makes the commute more manageable, and Valhalla isn't far from the Bridge on the W'cgester side).
Walk anywhere in town , and even though only a few miles from the megamall Palisades Center , pretty isolated from it.-Nobody goes to the town of Nyack really unless it's their destination. Below the Thruway , there's no reason to go there, i'e' not a cut through- traffic type of town. But still bustling , don't get me wrong.
Has a Hospital. Performing Arts Center. Good nightlife.
700k would probably set you up decent.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM

305 posts, read 1,684,219 times
I think Tarrytown may work for you. The town itself is nice - it has antique shops, different restaurants & galleries by the Music Hall. Its diverse, eclectic and artsy. It's not very "urban" and it's not as "city-like" as White Plains but it is a nice area.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,856 times
Default Westchester County

My partner and I have lived in and around Westchester for 25 yrs ( I was born here)...We live in Larchmont, which will offer the kind of "walk to town" sit at a cafe, know your neighbors type of envirnment you might like; we've always been real happy here and have owned 2 houses over the years...problem is it's expensive. A townhouse will run in the $700's, condo apartment about the same and houses start in the $800's to well into the millions....the average 3 BR house will run about $1.3m with an $18k tax bill.

Several other towns up north closer to the hospital offer the same type of thing if you wanna walk to a cute town for coffe, etc. Katona and Armonk most noteably....but also very pricey. White Plains has always been a bit dull, but has picked up lately with lots of new condos built downtown....the RE taxes are much lower in WP too.

I personnally loved living down south further in City Island, where we had a waterfront condo for 4 years. You can walk to everything, take an express bus or bus/subway combo to Manhattan easily and the crowd there was much more diverse. (Larchmont is mostly white investment bankers and lawyers and their wives in huge SUV's...with a small representation of French ExPats for color). City Island is popular with a less affluent yachting crowd, a bunch of medical types from Eistein and Jacobi Hostpitals, and it has a decided "bohemian" flavor...there's a decent Gay contingency and a lot of restaurants and bars that are welcoming....it can be very hectic there on summer weekends, though.

Overall, you'll find more of the "townie" type lifestyle in the small towns in Westchester than in most larger city suburbs, so I think you'll find something you'll like if you stay close to one of the mre "chic" towns.

BTW - I'm an occasional real estate broker on city island....check out [url=http://www.portofkall.com]Port of Kall Realty[/url]

Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 PM

178 posts, read 601,506 times
You would probably be best off in White Plains or Hartsdale. More of what you are looking for. Tarrytown, Irvington, Hastings could also work.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 12,129 times
Default Gay Couple with Kids Moving to Westchester - What town?

Hi:

This thread has great advice. Here's my specific situation. We're a couple in our 30's with kids looking to move to Westchester and seeking advice on the towns to look into.
I work in White Plains and the hubby works in Manhattan. Dunno if what we're looking for will be too difficult to find, but ideally, the town will be (1) fairly gay friendly, (2) have a relatively short commute to the city, (3) have a bit of a town with a few restaurants, and (4) where there's a good school system and (5) at least a good chance our kids won't feel totally out of place in school having gay parents.

Do these towns exist in Westchester? If not, what may be the closest town that matches at least some of these points?

Thank you

Last edited by HeyJPK; 07-02-2008 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: two year old hit the post button early

Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,347,923 times
Well, depending upon what you want to spend, I would consider Scarsdale, Larchmont, and Bronxville. They all have excellent schools, great commutes, walkable village centers, and are fairly socially liberal. Northern Westchester, while bucolic, can be a bit more conservative, and that's coming from someone who grew up there. Some of the river towns are nice as well, and fairly open, but they are more of a drive to White Plains as one has to go across the county. It's not that far, but not as easy a commute as central portions of Westchester.

The Scarsdale and Bronxville (Village) neighborhoods provide easy access to White Plains via train or car, and easy access to Manhattan via train. Metro North's Harlem Line runs right through the towns, making it easy for both commuters to use the train if you prefer. Larchmont offers easy access to Manhattan by train, and is one of the busiest stations on the New Haven Line; however, it would be easiest to drive the distance from Larchmont to White Plains, as the train does not go to White Plains proper, but neighboring Port Chester and then on to Connecticut. That said, I would likely drive the few minutes to White Plains from Scarsdale or Bronxville, as it's an easy drive and you can take side roads that are not as congested. Mamaroneck is also a consideration, but the downtown is not as nice as that of its neighbor, the Village of Larchmont. Both share the same school system, save for the part of Mamaroneck that belongs to Rye.

Westchester is fairly progressive, even in its more conservative environs and it would not be an issue that your family has same sex parents. Scarsdale's schools are excellent, but are highly competitive. Larchmont provides an excellent schools and a community that's a little more relaxed than that of Scarsdale. With Larchmont, you lose the flexibility of two train commuters on the same Harlem Line, which is not a huge deal. Bronxville is closer in on the Harlem Line than Scarsdale, and the village is quaint, offers excellent schools, and a hospital in town. Access to White Plains via car or train is easy. All three of these areas have great houses, treed lanes, nice downtowns, and proximity to both the city and surrounding areas.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 12,129 times
Default Many thanks. Scarsdale vs Hartsdale?

Many thanks for all of the information.

I'll look into these towns. A follow-up. What is the difference between Scarsdale and Hartsdale in terms of schools, village, and the like?

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Well, depending upon what you want to spend, I would consider Scarsdale, Larchmont, and Bronxville. They all have excellent schools, great commutes, walkable village centers, and are fairly socially liberal. Northern Westchester, while bucolic, can be a bit more conservative, and that's coming from someone who grew up there. Some of the river towns are nice as well, and fairly open, but they are more of a drive to White Plains as one has to go across the county. It's not that far, but not as easy a commute as central portions of Westchester.

The Scarsdale and Bronxville (Village) neighborhoods provide easy access to White Plains via train or car, and easy access to Manhattan via train. Metro North's Harlem Line runs right through the towns, making it easy for both commuters to use the train if you prefer. Larchmont offers easy access to Manhattan by train, and is one of the busiest stations on the New Haven Line; however, it would be easiest to drive the distance from Larchmont to White Plains, as the train does not go to White Plains proper, but neighboring Port Chester and then on to Connecticut. That said, I would likely drive the few minutes to White Plains from Scarsdale or Bronxville, as it's an easy drive and you can take side roads that are not as congested. Mamaroneck is also a consideration, but the downtown is not as nice as that of its neighbor, the Village of Larchmont. Both share the same school system, save for the part of Mamaroneck that belongs to Rye.

Westchester is fairly progressive, even in its more conservative environs and it would not be an issue that your family has same sex parents. Scarsdale's schools are excellent, but are highly competitive. Larchmont provides an excellent schools and a community that's a little more relaxed than that of Scarsdale. With Larchmont, you lose the flexibility of two train commuters on the same Harlem Line, which is not a huge deal. Bronxville is closer in on the Harlem Line than Scarsdale, and the village is quaint, offers excellent schools, and a hospital in town. Access to White Plains via car or train is easy. All three of these areas have great houses, treed lanes, nice downtowns, and proximity to both the city and surrounding areas.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,347,923 times
You're welcome. I am happy to give perspective on Westchester, since it can be difficult to just drop into a new area, even more so when you have a family's needs to consider. Hartsdale is a different world in terms of the schools, which are not nearly as good as Scarsdale. The neighborhood in Hartsdale is more mixed. Scarsdale is exclusive, and the downtown is older, with more commercial and residential buildings and houses of character; whereas, Hartsdale is more comprised of strip malls and slab apartment blocks intermixed with the houses.

I would not recommend school districts in Yonkers, Hartsdale, or Mount Vernon in this area as they are not on par with neighboring districts. Now, if you use private schools, you might not have to worry about that as much, save for resale value as Westchester tends to be sold on school districts first, and town services second. Also, some of the towns straddle school districts, hence the Scarsdale and Bronxville zip codes have many more houses in them than are actually in the respective jurisdictions. And, in these examples, they are vastly different school districts, Yokers for the Bronxville P.O. and New Rochelle for Scarsdale P.O.

Another option in the same general area, is Eastchester, which is a little less expensive than Scarsdale and Bronxville, yet is a quick drive to each. And, parts of Eastchester are in the Scarsdale P.O., but in this case it's fine, since the schools are on par with Scarsdale. Instead of a walkable village, you would tend to have more shopping centers along White Plains Road, but there's everything there from groceries to clothing and books. And, you're only a few minutes (5-10 driving) from Bronxville, Scarsdale, and Tuckahoe downtown areas.

You might not be able to walk to the train station in Eastchester, but it's not a bad drive. And, I do believe the Town of Eastchester has some of the parking rights at Scarsdale, either 12-hour meters or permits, though there are more spaces for Scarsdale permit holders. With some MetroNorth stations, the town has authority over the parking, and others are contracted out to MetroNorth's parking management company, Allright Corp. Town residents get preference for permits, and there could be a waiting list for any non-resident permits, and there are some long term meters at Scarsdale and Tuckahoe. You can check the MTA MetroNorth website (MTA Home Page) for information on the stations and their respective parking contractors and authorities, including contact phone numbers.

Another option is to check with Allright Corp. to find a station they manage with available spaces. Mount Vernon East is managed by Allright, I believe, and that would be about 15 or so minutes from Eastchester, by car, to the station, which is on the New Haven Line. You could also be dropped off at the station if you both leave for work at the same time, since it's easy to jump on the Bronx River Parkway to White Plains.

The Rye school district is good as well, and you have more housing options there, but this is either a very suburban locale in the Rye towns, anchored by shopping plazas, and the nicer parts of Port Chester that have Rye schools don't have a nice downtown to anchor them at all. Port Chester is up and coming, but is still much more gritty than that of its neighbors on the Sound. The commute to Grand Central is longer from these areas, on the New Haven Line, but the drive to White Plains is easier. The other reason I would hesitate to recommend them is that I am not sure how easy it would be to find a family that has the same make-up as yours in these areas.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:53 PM

295 posts, read 1,360,319 times
Default suggestion

If your partner accepts the position...Rent 1st in White Plains.

There are lots of buildings right by city center (or in it) that you can rent a decent apt in & then get to know the area. Plenty of nightlife a walk away...very mixed community. It is the most like a little city.

I can't imagine trying to figure out an area without really seeing it...

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or