U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM

784 posts, read 1,782,456 times

Advertisements

Are there taxi cabs by this metro-north station?

(I have an interview tomorrow afternoon in Greenwich, CT and this station is actually the closest metro-north station to the address at which I'll be interviewing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
No. You should call a taxi to meet your train. The Greenwich, Ct station
DOES have taxis, however. Valhalla is NOT that close to Greenwich.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 PM

9,393 posts, read 15,994,245 times
The other thing to consider is that a Greenwich-based taxi driver is much more familiar with the area than those based out of White Plains or other areas in Westchester. True, parts of Greenwich, such as by Tamarack are closer to Valhalla and Armonk, but it's only a by a couple of minutes. And, in Greenwich, from the station, where there is a taxi stand, you don't have the unknown of having to call/wait for a taxi, since there are usually taxis at the station, and getting a driver who is not as intimately familiar with the local area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-07-2010, 02:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,081,870 times
I'd call the office that you're interviewing with and ask which station they suggest and if they have a particular taxi service that they use. Any suburban office should be used to giving directions to people coming up from the city.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 PM

730 posts, read 1,339,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Are there taxi cabs by this metro-north station?

(I have an interview tomorrow afternoon in Greenwich, CT and this station is actually the closest metro-north station to the address at which I'll be interviewing)
The very next stop north, Hawthorne, does have a cab stand. It's about a 3 minute train ride or a 10 minute drive from Valhalla.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 AM

6,626 posts, read 8,347,645 times
I'm guessing you used some computer/web based app to tell you that the Valhalla station is closest. This is why it's not always good to 100% rely on them. It's like the apps that tell me things in NJ are closer to Yonkers than things in White Plains because they go by "where the crow flies" and don't take bridges/tolls/water barriers into account.

A Greenwich cab would know more about where to get you to there than a Valhalla one.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Google Maps.

It's 5 Miles from the Valhalla Station, but over 10 Miles from the Greenwich / Port Chester Station.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM

9,393 posts, read 15,994,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I'm guessing you used some computer/web based app to tell you that the Valhalla station is closest. This is why it's not always good to 100% rely on them. It's like the apps that tell me things in NJ are closer to Yonkers than things in White Plains because they go by "where the crow flies" and don't take bridges/tolls/water barriers into account.

A Greenwich cab would know more about where to get you to there than a Valhalla one.
I always get a kick out of those apps, myself, especially the ones built into the GPS systems that are far too literal in their definition of distance. It's a useful tool, but requires local knowledge.

Valhalla is not a terribly busy train station that handles large numbers of bidirectional commuters, hence no standing cabs. Sometimes it's faster to drive the extra distance because of local roads. For example, Port Chester was mentioned, and I would never get off the train there if I were going to Greenwich because any time savings could be eaten by the lights on Main Street, just getting to the Connecticut line. There are back roads through Greenwich, that any decent CT driver would know that can make for a faster, if longer, and easier trip. Any one of the stations will ultimately get you to your destination with a road link, but the easiest may not always be the one in closest proximity when dealing with Metro-North and suburban traffic patterns.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-09-2010, 10:15 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,115,692 times
IF You had to, i'd say use splendid taxi based out of white plains. A good deal of their drivers are familiar with the area between central westchester and greenwich.

regardless of which cab company you use, thats going to be an expensive fare from valhalla to greenwich by cab. Find out what the rate of zone charges is cause that will really hurt your pocket.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Already had the interview.

4.8 miles, took less than 12 minutes each way from Valhalla. I was charged $17, gave the guy $21 each way incl tips.

Thanks for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County