Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,439 times

Advertisements

Commuting to NYC from Dutchess will take at a minimum 2 1/2 hours each way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 8,226 times
If you live on Central Avenue in Yonkers it is pretty decent there. Easy access to local bus and express bus to NYC and also walking distance to Metro North if you are near the Tuckahoe Rd. intersection. Lots of stores, take out places, cleaners, supermarket (Pathmark etc.) There are a few co-op complexes that are kept nicely. Sadore Lane Estates, Westchester Towers (pool and doorman buildings), Balint, they all have parking, sometimes rentals are available within.

Outside of that small area I don't particularly care for Yonkers even at McLean or on the south side near Riverdale Ave. I must admit when I went looking, some places, upon reaching the destination I did not bother to turn off the car and get out to see the apartment... people hanging out in front of the building just hanging is not a good sign, so I kept going.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:58 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,331,995 times
What part of McLean ave were you looking at? McLean ave west of the Saw Mill = a dump. McLean ave east of the Saw Mill = decent middle class neighborhood.

Nearly all of Southwest Yonkers is pretty much shot to hell. I'd stay away from there, unless you'll be living in one of the new luxury buildings downtown. Southeast Yonkers on Mclean ave is the big Irish area of Yonkers. More suburban areas north of that are nice but are more mixed Italian/Irish and other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnnyc View Post
If you live on Central Avenue in Yonkers it is pretty decent there. Easy access to local bus and express bus to NYC and also walking distance to Metro North if you are near the Tuckahoe Rd. intersection. Lots of stores, take out places, cleaners, supermarket (Pathmark etc.) There are a few co-op complexes that are kept nicely. Sadore Lane Estates, Westchester Towers (pool and doorman buildings), Balint, they all have parking, sometimes rentals are available within.

Outside of that small area I don't particularly care for Yonkers even at McLean or on the south side near Riverdale Ave. I must admit when I went looking, some places, upon reaching the destination I did not bother to turn off the car and get out to see the apartment... people hanging out in front of the building just hanging is not a good sign, so I kept going.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 85,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
What part of McLean ave were you looking at? McLean ave west of the Saw Mill = a dump. McLean ave east of the Saw Mill = decent middle class neighborhood.

Nearly all of Southwest Yonkers is pretty much shot to hell. I'd stay away from there, unless you'll be living in one of the new luxury buildings downtown. Southeast Yonkers on Mclean ave is the big Irish area of Yonkers. More suburban areas north of that are nice but are more mixed Italian/Irish and other people.
X2, grew up in the southwest part, hasnt gotten any better. Northern part of yonkers is nice, near Hastings, although I think pricey, but hey you'll be by the river.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 14,205 times
Hello All,
Thank you for excellent tips about Yonkers. I am also looking to move from White Plains to Yonkers for an easier commute to NYU and close enought to work in Purchase NY.

Question: What are the name of the specific communities that I should look for in Yonkers in regard to safety and comfortable living.

I am looking into moving into a studio of 1 bedroom <$1400 a month.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:52 AM

You shouldn't have a problem finding a 1 br for under $1400. Most 1 bedrooms in my area are going for closer to $1,100, with about 700 sq ft of room.

I don't know if this will help in your commute to NYU at all as the Metro North to grand central is 30 minutes from Yonkers instead of the 35 minutes from White Plains, but you will certainly save money on rent in Yonkers as compared to White Plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah0047 View Post
Hello All,
Thank you for excellent tips about Yonkers. I am also looking to move from White Plains to Yonkers for an easier commute to NYU and close enought to work in Purchase NY.

Question: What are the name of the specific communities that I should look for in Yonkers in regard to safety and comfortable living.

I am looking into moving into a studio of 1 bedroom <$1400 a month.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:08 AM

1 posts, read 8,159 times
Excuse me for butting into the conversation, but I wanted to ask: what do you all think of northwest Yonkers, say anywhere along North Broadway and/or the Glenwood area?

I'm thinking more specifically in terms of safety/ crime rate/ presence of schools there, but any info would be much appreciated.

Also, just out of curiosity is the abandoned industrial area along the Hudson waterfront still around or is it in the process of being redeveloped?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 AM

8,438 posts, read 12,121,868 times
How is the Homefield section of Yonkers? I knew some people who lived there.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerman View Post

Also, just out of curiosity is the abandoned industrial area along the Hudson waterfront still around or is it in the process of being redeveloped?
It is definitely being redeveloped, however most people will think that it is not yet ready for "prime time" yet. Give it a couple of years, and as long as the redevelopment continues it should turn out to be a pretty nice downtown area. They're going to build a movie theater, shopping center, baseball stadium, and apartments down there like they have in White Plains & New Rochelle.

Here is the webpage of the company that is going to redevelop the area: http://www.sfcyonkers.com

Old 12-20-2007, 07:09 PM

Another big development in Yonkers to look for is the new "Ridge Hill" project (http://www.ridgehill.com/) that is going to be a mixed use project with apartments, a movie theater, a whole foods, and various clothing stores.

I'm somewhat confused as to exactly where Ridge Hill is going to be located, but I believe it will be somewhere off the Deegan south of where the Costco/Home Depot/Stew Leonards is located.

If Ridge Hill looks as nice in reality as it does in all of the ads for the place I'll definitely do some of my shopping up there. I'm tired of going to the dumpy Cross County Mall. The Cross County is in a serious need of a facelift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County