Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 46,859 times

Advertisements

dear all

We are leaving the East Bay and moving to the East Coast - I'll be working in northern Manhattan, my partner will be in Stamford, and we have 2 kids under 3. What do you recommend in terms of a good place to live - we would like good schools but prefer a diverse, community-oriented town, with local businesses as opposed to chain stores, a farmer's market if possible... I know that Scarsdale and Rye have excellent schools and would be geographically ideal for us, but my feeling is that these not really what we are looking for. The cities along the Hudson river seem to be more along our lines, but they look kind of out of the way. What is there in northern Westchester county, for instance? Or should we think of southern CT? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'm guessing Mamaroneck or Larchmont might work. Parts of New Rochelle and White Plains might work too. Maybe Pleasantville as well. Perhaps Port Chester......

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-07-2010 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 06:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
I'd add Katonah to the list--other than racial diversity, it has everything that you mention. Another possible match is Mt Kisco, which has diversity, too. Mt Kisco does have a large strip of Big Box chains, but the center of town has some very nice independent shops (as well as chains). Both towns have good farmer's markets. Perhaps this is too far west for the Stamford commute, but Croton is also a possible match--it doesn't have much diversity and it has some chain stores, but it also has a handful of nice independent stores, a farmer's market, and the vibe is what I think you're after.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,341 times
It sounds like money is not an issue. So would you consider private schools? I'll add West Harrison to the list because of its proximity to White Plains and the ability to get onto 684. Which I believe is how you would get to stamford, but I may be mistaken.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 AM

11 posts, read 46,859 times
wow - this is great, I'll look into those - many thanks! On money not being an issue, well it always is, right? we would like to avoid private schools. Now how about Hartsdale, Tuckahoe, Greenville? Are these also pretty much like Bronxville and Scarsdale community-wise?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I'd add Katonah to the list--other than racial diversity, it has everything that you mention. Another possible match is Mt Kisco, which has diversity, too. Mt Kisco does have a large strip of Big Box chains, but the center of town has some very nice independent shops (as well as chains). Both towns have good farmer's markets. Perhaps this is too far west for the Stamford commute, but Croton is also a possible match--it doesn't have much diversity and it has some chain stores, but it also has a handful of nice independent stores, a farmer's market, and the vibe is what I think you're after.
Why would you suggest Katonah to someone who is going to work in Stamford? And Croton is evern worse! Do you want the OP to spend three hours in his car everyday?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Why would you suggest Katonah to someone who is going to work in Stamford? And Croton is evern worse! Do you want the OP to spend three hours in his car everyday?
Because the OP said "What is there in northern Westchester county, for instance?" And because Katonah fits the bill nicely. As for Croton, it did seem a tad far, which is why I wrote "Perhaps this is too far west for the Stamford commute." As for commute length, we all have our limits. Google Maps says that Katonah to Stamford will take 32 minutes. Let's assume that rush hour is a lot longer than that--it is still a doable drive for many. Google Maps estimates the Croton to Stamford drive at 39 minutes.

Now, might I suggest that in the future you consider rewording your comments to be less argumentative? For example, "The Katonah to Stamford commute would be too long for me." or something along those lines? Just a thought.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Pelham might be another village to consider as well. It has a famrer's market, is close to NYC and the highway in order to get to Stamford and has some "diversity" too.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Pelham might be another village to consider as well. It has a famrer's market, is close to NYC and the highway in order to get to Stamford and has some "diversity" too.
Pelham is not particularly diverse.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:21 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggio rules View Post
wow - this is great, I'll look into those - many thanks! On money not being an issue, well it always is, right? we would like to avoid private schools. Now how about Hartsdale, Tuckahoe, Greenville? Are these also pretty much like Bronxville and Scarsdale community-wise?
If you want to avoid private schools then you'll probably want to avoid Hartsdale. Tuckahoe maybe, and I don't know about Greenville (but I'm sure someone else does).

And no, these places are not like Bronxville or Scarsdale. Bronxville will not give you much diversity AT ALL, but actually Scarsdale will give you more than a lot of towns around here. Plenty of Jewish and Asian families. These two villages might be a couple of the prettiest though. Scarsdale has a very strong community feeling about it, there is a lot of pride in the school system, the town amenities are great, and yes, there is a farmer's market! People are going to put you off about the "pressure cooker" environment in the schools, but quite frankly I don't think that most of these comments come from people who actually live here and have kids in the schools, and secondly, I want my kids to be high achievers and I don't think that a little pressure is a bad thing. Of course, we'll assess again when my son is actually school age!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County