Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! Since you have all been so helpful in the past - I thought I'd try my luck again! After much searching - we have finally found a house! We move to Katonah in April and are thrilled! The house is actually on Lake Katonah - close to Golden's Bridge. So, now that we are going to be living there - I would love your input! Please give me your recommendations for:
1. A good vet - someone very nice and reasonably priced - our little doggy needs to go to the vet a lot!
2. Doctors, Dentists, Obgyns, Optometrists (we might keep going to the people we have been going to in the city - but it might be nice to go somewhere closer to home)
3. Yummy restaurants - especially ethnic food - i.e. Thai, Sushi, Indian, Mexican, Ethiopian (if there are any), etc.
4. Grocery stores - especially any gourmet stores, butchers, health food stores, fish markets, farmer's markets, etc
5. Any other recommendations or advice or anything would be more than welcome!!!
Thank you all in advance!
-Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Congratulations on finding a house that you like.

In terms of groceries, other than the regular stores, the area has Mrs. Green's in Katonah, Nature's Temptations in Cross River and Ridgefield, and Near and Natural in Bedford Village (though it's a smaller cafe/market). A&P is in Katonah, Mount Kisco, and Bedford. There are numerous specialty shops/smaller markets scattered throughout the area as well. The nearest Whole Foods are in Greenwich and White Plains. There's a farmer's market from May-December on Saturday morning-early afternoon at the John Jay High School campus as well that features some great merchants.

There are many great restaurants in the area, from casual family places to formal restaurants. A few that I would recommend are as follows. In Katonah, the Blue Dolphin and Deer Park Tavern are good bets. Tengda is the Katonah outpost for the Asian Bistro Group (Tengda, Republic Grill, Bond Grill, and Kam Pei). In Bedford, La Cremaillere, Kicho (Japanese), and Bistro 22 are worth a visit. Mount Kisco's Blue (Asian), Temptation Tea House, and Passage to India offer varied cuisines and reasonable prices. In Ridgefield, Bernard's, Thali (Indian), and Luc's are well worth a visit, though there are many great restaurants in Ridgefield too, much like Greenwich. And, in South Salem, Le Chateau is an excellent choice.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
I would add the following to bmwguydc's great list:

Table Local Market in Bedford Hills--great local produce and prepared foods: Home | Table Local Market

Thai Angles in Mt Kisco--excellent Thai food at good prices and in a nice space. The NY Times review said it was the best satay they'd ever had. Thai Angel's, Mt. Kisco, NY 914-666-0937

New World Bistro in Mt Kisco--Asian fusion dishes, lots of sushi, in a cool but relaxed space (fine for kids). The Times gave it an "excellent" rating: index.html

Via Vanti in mt Kisco--interesting Milanese dishes (no red sauces!) but a great variety and plenty of kid-friendly fare like little pizzas in a casual space (the old train station). Mount Kisco Restaurant Via Vanti! A Contemporary Italian Cafe and Bar in Westchester County, New York

Coming soon, the area's only Ethiopian restaurant! It will be in Mt Kisco: Lalibela Ethiopian Cuisin

Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,251 times
Here's an honest review of one school in the Katonah Lewisboro school district, not the district as a whole but here was my impression if you are interested.
Now- dont get me wrong I was born in Mt Kisco and grew up in Westchester cty all my life I know all its splendor. My uncle is a Doctor with MKMG, and it can truly be a great quality of life here, you just need to seek it out. 10 years ago my wife and I moved to in Vermont. Family & Friends boasted about the Katonah-Lewisboro school district in general, and I looked forward to enrolling our first & only child in this school when we moved back to NY last year to be closer to family (now having started a family etc).

However, upon entering & heading to the office at MeadowPond - the atmosphere was dismal. I was treated very poorly. Having just moved from out of state I was hoping for at least a smile and a "welcome". Not at MeadowPond. I was greeted instead with a sigh and "what are you here for??" The staff (which I will not mention her name) barely granted me eye contact and seemed generally exasperated and hassled. My child picked up on this instantly and retreated behind me.I passed it off as someone merely having "one of those days" & tried our luck again. 2nd time around it was only worse. Needless to say we never even met a teacher- impressions were made. I instantly retrieved my documents-filed the complaint with the principal. tsk tsk Meadowpond & good riddance. To be honest we are back in Vermont and our child was greeted so exceptionally at her new school as was I at the school. Given the warmth and friendliness and quality of life, we are all glad to be back. NY is still in our hearts but the property taxes and what you get for it is abysmal. Well I will refrain from going on I just wanted to share that with you if it helps. I hope you have a better experience and best of luck

Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM

I have to say - I'm thrilled beyond words that there is going to be an Ethiopian restaurant close by!!! It's my one of my favorite favorite cuisines!!! Can you tell I'm a food person! Thank you so much for all your input! I can't wait to get up there and start going to all the places you've told me about!
As for schools - I'm not really worried. We don't have kids yet and Meadowpond is not our elementary school. But thank you for your input, too.
We couldn't be more excited to move to Katonah! Thank you!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifrin View Post
Given the warmth and friendliness and quality of life, we are all glad to be back.
Honestly, if one has an equivalent way to make a living somewhere wonderful like Vermont, it's a no-brainer.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
One other place I didn't mention, but if you ever need a 24-hour diner, the Bedford Diner is a venerable institution on Bedford Road (Route 117), near Acura of Bedford Hills, across from Shop Rite. And, speaking of diners, during regular dining hours, the Katonah Restaurant is opposite the train station (corner of The Parkway) and is a good local spot, too.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Thank you bmwguydc! My husband and I are show biz people - he is a sound guy on broadway - so we often eat very late at night! That will really come in handy!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 PM

61 posts, read 135,158 times
Hi! I was so interested in your post. I have 3 special needs children and looking for a way out of NYC schools. I have heard good things about Vermont. If you or anyone can comment on an area to research, I would love to know! Thanks for that post!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:32 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv3kids View Post
Hi! I was so interested in your post. I have 3 special needs children and looking for a way out of NYC schools. I have heard good things about Vermont. If you or anyone can comment on an area to research, I would love to know! Thanks for that post!
please start a new thread on YOUR topic if you want answers instead of reopening an old thread about something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County