U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM

44 posts, read 50,441 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Philadelphia to NY within the next 6-8 months. We both work in law enfocement and will have 4 cars - 2 personal and 2 work cars. Unfortunately, we HAVE to take our work cars to our places of employment, so we cannot take public transportation. I will be working in Manhattan and my husband will be working in Queens. Several people have suggested that Westchester County might be the best place to look to suit both of our nightmare commutes. We are looking for a condo/townhomes or single family home.

We know the commute will be horrible for both of us since we have to drive, but can anyone please suggest places to live in southern Westchester County that might make our commute a little less hectic? We are completely unfamiliar with the area. We would obviously like a safe, clean neighborhood (we don't have any children, so school district isn't important right now).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,748,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny200 View Post
My husband and I are moving from Philadelphia to NY within the next 6-8 months. We both work in law enfocement and will have 4 cars - 2 personal and 2 work cars. Unfortunately, we HAVE to take our work cars to our places of employment, so we cannot take public transportation. I will be working in Manhattan and my husband will be working in Queens. Several people have suggested that Westchester County might be the best place to look to suit both of our nightmare commutes. We are looking for a condo/townhomes or single family home.

We know the commute will be horrible for both of us since we have to drive, but can anyone please suggest places to live in southern Westchester County that might make our commute a little less hectic? We are completely unfamiliar with the area. We would obviously like a safe, clean neighborhood (we don't have any children, so school district isn't important right now).

Thank you!
If you're set on Westchester, you might want to opt for the Sound Shore or east side of the county based on its proximity to Queens. Rye, Harrison, etc.
Driving into Manhattan is doable depending on your office and hours. Just understand though that there are going to be a few days a year when your commute will take 2-3 hours.

I have driven from central Westchester to downtown for 9 years. We're looking at an hour, generally if I leave before or after the rush. But this past Friday, I left my office at 4:30 and got home at 6:45.

But if your husband has to work on Queens, I'd think about moving there. There are some great areas -- Forest Hills and Douglaston, come to mind.

Last edited by ponytrekker; 03-14-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,413,762 times
Parking can be an issue in Queens, unless you have a single-family residence for four-car parking. Since schools are not important, I would look at better neighborhoods in Yonkers for starters, since you can get a house there for less money than in a top-tier school district, and the taxes are not as outrageous as other Westchester areas. There is an income tax surcharge in Yonkers, where you pay 10% of your state tax to the city on an annual basis. Despite the reputation of some of its neighborhoods, there are some very nice pars of Yonkers, especially bordering Woodlawn, The Bronx, and Bronxville.

However, if schools do become important, in the future, you would need to decide if you wanted to stay put and use private schools, or move to another town. New Rochelle (away from the downtown area) offers some nice family neighborhoods as well. Pelham is convenient, and has good schools, and the prices are not as high as Bronxville or Scarsdale, for example. Larchmont and Mamaroneck would be good choices as well, though Larchmont can get expensive quickly. Tuckahoe and Eastchester would be other considerations where you could find a nice house in a good area, and they also have the benefit of good schools. The taxes will be significant in these areas, however, so I'd pay attention to that as well as the purchase price when looking for a residence. The cities in Westchester tend to have lower taxes because of the commercial base, and a larger school system, since many schools are administered on the village level, with some towns, such as Eastchester, having three districts within its borders.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 PM

60 posts, read 262,407 times
Hi Shanny,

I recommend Yonkers as well. Central point for the easiest commute from Westchester into Manhattan and Queens. I lived in Yonkers for almost 30 years. Email Moderator cut: Please send broker recommendations via Direct Message, please for more info about southern Westchester and helping buyers, especially LEOs with relocation.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-15-2010 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Please send broker recommendations via DM, thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 AM

69 posts, read 212,224 times
I would suggest Eastchester. If schools are not important also consider Tuckahoe. Tuckahoe and Eastchester are between Scarsdale and Bronxville, two of the most upscale villages in America. Your commutes will not be difficult at all, rarely more than 40 minutes each way. That is what it would be for me, you guys are cops!
As an investor in Westchester Real Estate, I view both of these places favorably.

Watch for details. There are places with Scarsdale address but in Eastchester Schools (OK, but not snobby), places in Bronxville address actually in Yonkers or Mount Vernon or Tuckahoe. Some houses are in Bronxville Post Office but actually in the Town of Eastchester and Tuckahoe school district.
Also, part of Bronx is called Eastchester because it was part of the town of Eastchester before it became part of NY City in the 1890s.
Tuckahoe and Bronxville are villages in the Town of Eastchester. That part of the Town of Eastchester that is not in one of the villages is called Eastchester. Unless it is in the Bronx.
Bronxville is not part of the Bronx. Hey, this is fun!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:41 PM

248 posts, read 697,627 times
Shanny.........what about NJ? I used to live in Bergen County and it used to take me 15 minutes to get to the West Side of Manhattan.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:34 PM

86 posts, read 240,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stibgo View Post
I would suggest Eastchester. If schools are not important also consider Tuckahoe. Tuckahoe and Eastchester are between Scarsdale and Bronxville, two of the most upscale villages in America...!
Actually, Tuckahoe schools are wonderful - my kids attend and I have been very impressed. Excellent curriculum sans the pressure cooker environment of some of the surrounding schools.
An excellent resource for checking out school is the greatschools.org website.
Good luck!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 PM

326 posts, read 565,023 times
Move to East Yonkers where it borders Bronxville or Tuckahoe, much cheaper property taxes here in Yonkers than other areas in Westchester, two of my friends who live in upscale Scarsdale and Ardsley say when their children finish high school they will sell their homes and move to Yonkers where the taxes are cheaper.

After living in East Yonkers for most of my life (except for a ten year move to Florida a while back), I finally realized that the people who live here are much more polite and respectful than the residents in many other parts of Westchester county, like Mamaroneck, Rye, Mt. Kisco, etc., the difference in attitude was so obvious to me after I came home to Yonkers from Mamaroneck on Sunday that I mentioned it to my mother. Although I have stated in the past that if I could afford to live in an upscale area in Westchester I would move out of East Yonkers, I have changed my mind now because I would not be comfortable living among such cold, unmannerly people who don't even extend you the smallest courtesy like thanking you for holding a door open for them. I'll take East Yonkers over living in their communities any day!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 AM

32 posts, read 104,834 times
Yonkers, especially near the Sprain Brook Pkwy or Bronx River Pkwy will help you have a good commute in Queens and NYC.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 AM

248 posts, read 697,627 times
I also hear to avoid some areas of Yonkers: Immediately North of Riverdale & Van Cordlant Park & West of the Saw Mill River Parkway. (South West Yonkers). One question though........due to the proximity of the Saw Mill.......what areas of Yonkers get flooded? This past month was a huge soaker for the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or