Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,572 times

Advertisements

I purchased a house in Briarcliff Manor NY and wanted to do some renovations before I moved in. Well I had an plans drawn and filed and approved. In the course of these renovations it was discovered that the house was built with many hidden defects. I am having these issues corrected but the house had to be gutted to do these repairs. I just received a letter from the Town Real Property Appraiser saying that he wants to schedule an appointment for an inspection to take the required measurements and inventory of my residence.
My question is do I have to let him into my house, I feel that any measurments he needs can be taken from the plans that I filed. I feel that this is a ploy to assess my house so that the taxes could be raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bairam View Post
I feel that this is a ploy to assess my house so that the taxes could be raised.
Mmmm could be Rabbit. Could be.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
I don't know that it is a "ploy" per se. Towns reassess property value when major work is done. The taxes are theoretically related to the house's value, so when you do major work that increases the home's value the taxes should theoretically go up. It depends on the work-- I got town approval for new kitchen, new bathrooms, gut reno of a room, and some other stuff and there was no reassessment or increase-- but if the work seems major the town will want to reassess. If the town's didn't do this then they would need to increase everyon's taxes across the board a lot more than they already do.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,912 times
sounds like the plans you submitted don't match the work you are doing. I am not a lawyer but I think you have to let them in.

I am in a similar boat but I am not filing for any permits until after the town inspector sees my house. When I bought the house the town appraiser said he would come see the home this summer. After he comes...time for upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County