Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

721 posts, read 1,210,879 times

Advertisements

I've found a nice apartment in a house in a small town west of White Plains, NY. The landlord seems flexible. She's told me she could either ask me to sign a lease or not ask me to sign a lease, depends on what I feel comfortable with.

From my point of view, the only reason for me not wanting to sign a lease is that in case I get a good job offer in another area, in which case I may need to move before my lease expires, I'll still be liable for the remaining period of the lease term (if I'm not allowed to sub-lease it to someone else).

Other than that, I think a lease would protect both me as a tenant and the landlord.

Shall I request a lease or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 PM

124 posts, read 702,125 times
can u just sign a month to month lease?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:03 AM

14 posts, read 60,072 times
Having a lease spells out the contract between you and the landlord, who pays what, how to handle security, under what circumstances the landlord can ask you to leave or you can leave. Ask for a six-month lease, renewable, if you think you may have job issues soon.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
I had an oral month to month lease for about 9 years. Worked great. When I bought a house, I gave 30 days notice and that was that. Of course, you can be kicked out with 30 days notice but that's the risk you take.

If I were a landlord, I wouldn't do it any other way.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:16 AM

Since most leases in the area require a one-year term, I don't know if my landlord would agree to a month-by-month term, which is what I prefer.

Six months would also work for me, because it's flexible enough.

What if she wants a one-year lease? Shall I tell her that I may get a job offer in some other area? If not, what reason shall I use in getting a shorter term lease?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanlib View Post
Having a lease spells out the contract between you and the landlord, who pays what, how to handle security, under what circumstances the landlord can ask you to leave or you can leave. Ask for a six-month lease, renewable, if you think you may have job issues soon.
I agree that these must be stated in a lease in order to protect both myself and the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County