U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,039 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any advice about the fastest, easiest way to get from Mahopac to NYC on MetroNorth? I.E. - is it better to drive down to Croton Falls (how is parking there in the AM? or traffic getting down Croton Falls Road?) or better to drive to maybe Katonah or Golden's Bridge to get the train from there? How is parking at either of those stations?

I'm looking for the least stressful way for a regular commute to Grand Central Station. But also don't want to spend a ton for parking or drive around in circles for half an hour looking for parking.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am about to move to the Mahopac area and worried about the commute!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM

701 posts, read 2,092,616 times
You can call the towns and find out the situation with parking permits. I know Katonah Parking is quite limited, I'm not sure on the other lots.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 PM

16,536 posts, read 9,033,670 times
I know that the Golden's Bridge lot has a couple year waiting list for a permit. However, that's the stop that we live near and I've always been able to find a metered spot. We don't park there that often - but I've been at different times in the day and have always found at least one spot. The rate is $3.25, I think.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 AM

9,411 posts, read 16,082,695 times
Katonah has limited meters in Lot 3, about 100 spaces in total. The rate is $5 for 16 hours, IIRC, and you can also park up to five-days in a metered spot, at a rate of $7 per 24-hour period. Lot 3 is on Woods Bridge Road, near Route 35. I would try Katonah, but early, since there are people from neighboring Somers and Lewisboro who drive to Katonah and use the meters. I have not parked at a meter, myself, so I cannot tell you how early they will be filled. Katonah is managed by the Town of Bedford. Lot 3 is the only Bedford lot with meters in any significant number, as there are literally a handfull of them at Bedford Hills in Lots 7 and 8, near the station on Railroad Avenue (maybe 20 spots in one lot, 10 in the other).

Goldens Bridge is managed by LAZ Parking, Metro-North's contractor, so you would contact them for parking information.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-27-2010, 02:33 PM

17 posts, read 29,442 times
Not sure if you are near the Taconic, but you can get to white plains pretty quickly. Take the bronx river to the county center parking lot, which is $5 per day.
It is a quick train ride from white plains.

I take the train to Brewster, but a few times had to go to Mahopac after work, and I have gotten to the high school quite quickly this way.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,798 times
Croton Falls has plenty of street parking. About half a mile walk to the station, I believe. 75 minutes is certainly a killer of a commute, but you always have a seat. It starts getting full around Katonah, and at North White Plains I have someone sitting next to me.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,582 times
I live in Carmel and commuted into Manhattan (UWS) for two years. (Still go into Manhattan every few weeks for work.) I drive to Croton Falls and park on Stoneleigh Ave; it's a brisk 7 min walk to the platform, but you can't beat the price (free). I used to drive to Southeast (it's the same distance from my house), but I get 10 extra minutes of sleep by grabbing the train two stops south, and no charge for parking. I'm still always able to get a seat on the way in, as well.

The two hour commute each way stinks, but that's the price of living in the NYC area, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County