Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I was wondering, if anyone lived there or knew someone who does.
we are very interested in a building lot there and really like the neighborhood feel, the size, the look there.
our only concern is that there is a shooting range very close.
while we were there (weekday at noon) there was not much going on there, I guess, and we only heard one single shot, but we had no chance to stop by during the weekend.
the range is on sandy spring drive and not far from the lot we are interested in there is a loooong and high fence, which belongs to the range. there are already a lot of homes build closer to it than our house would be, so I was hoping to get some input on that issue.

well, I am not the biggest fan of guns, but happy, when folks at least learn how to use them.
but I don't want to imagine, sitting on my porch and have to listen to this noise a lot

I am even surprised there IS a shooting range, since it looks like it would be right IN the Pisgah national forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,127 times
I live about a mile (probably less) from there in a subdivision off of Clayton. I am a bit further away but not out of earshot. We do hear gunshots either from the range or from nearby hunting but nothing that is really intrusive or consistent. It's not like we hear a bunch of shots over and over, for an extended period. Could be different in Ashley Woods but I doubt that the property values would have maintained like they did there if it was an issue. And although I am not a gun/hunting person either, hearing the shots every so often does remind me of all the great outdoor opportunities that exist in the area.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
hearing the shots every so often does remind me of all the great outdoor opportunities that exist in the area.
like hunting ? well, we have shooting ranges here too (delaware), but not a lot of outdoor opportunities.

I was hoping to having some animals coming close to the house - not a big chance for that, if there will be gun shots closer to the house.

is there more shooting during the weekends, as I assumed ?

the high fence is literally bordering our (future) lot, but I (of course) think, that's because of safety restrictions and I don't have to expect rounds on my deck.

but I agree, the pricing in this neighborhood would not be like it is, if it would be really something bothering.
the thing is - some people mind more, some less. I guess, I am with the first party.

If I would live close, I would bring my hammock and spend a couple of hours there

Old 07-01-2010, 06:36 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
...the high fence is literally bordering our (future) lot, but I (of course) think, that's because of safety restrictions and I don't have to expect rounds on my deck.

With all the lots and available land in western NC, (even just Buncombe county), I would keep looking.

Why build up tight, next to a shooting range, or any kind of potentially noisy, commercial situ? Just my 50cts.
GL, mD

Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 AM

well, we are looking for about 12 months now and could not find a nicer place so far (one place we liked a lot went under). the fencing is maybe just seperating their lot from others, since the actual range is much farther.

we went down several times now and could not really find a lot, which would offer everything we wished for:

- neighbors
- lots of children
- close to schools and shops
- high quality modular accepted
- some view
- good pricing
- streetlights
- certain school district
- not gated/too upscale

etc.

this neighborhood seems to offer pretty much everything we were looking for.

maybe someone who lives there can give me some input.

thanks for your thoughts anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina