U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 41,931 times
Default Building cost per square foot in Carolinas

We are planning to build a house on a small parcel of land we own in upstate South Carolina, near Spartanburg. I'm cross-posting here because a good friend recommended an architect in Asheville who specializes in the type of house we want to build. We met with him to talk about our plans after I had some research. WE are looking to build a house of about 2000 square feet, two stories, with a few fancy touches (granite counters, stone veneer siding) but mostly run of the mills stuff (Anderson doors and windows, carpet over subflooring, not a lot of elaborate work). When he told me the average cost per square foot to build such a house in the area (or just about anywhere, he said) ran between $250 (low end) and $400 a square foot I nearly fainted. We had been budgeting about $300K to build this house (land is paid for), but by his calculations, it would cost nearly twice that. Am I totally out of touch? I arrived at our calculations via a building cost site that looked fairly reputable and up to date (buildingcost.net). Any suggestions or enlightenment would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 05:11 PM

113 posts, read 278,859 times
No direct information here but his numbers seem really high. Even here in California!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:14 PM

764 posts, read 951,989 times
That's way too high considering the land isn't included. Sounds like this builder is stuck in 2006 - remind him that that was then and this is now....

Today, you can build a custom home at $125-$150/sf at the high end, including profit. Shop around - builders are very hungry.

Lumber prices have dropped 30% since April 10 and I don't doubt prices will continue to freefall...possibly as low as 1Q09 prices.

Lumber takes 30% plunge – Natural Resource Report

Old 07-03-2010, 08:11 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,878,569 times
I second that. we got estimates from 120 to 160 for a custom built home. especially when you say nothing really fancy (besides granit and a couple of other items), you should be way under 200.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:18 AM

187 posts, read 642,454 times
I'm an architect who does residential design. It's a tricky question... it's a bit like asking how much a four-door sedan should cost. Are we talking about a Kia, Ford, Lexus, or Mercedes? The numbers seem high, but there's no way to know until you talk to some other builders to get a comparison. I've seen houses that would have cost that much to build based on size, level of finish, and complexity. It doesn't happen often, but you throw enough roof gables and granite at it, and prices rise considerably.

I'd be cautious about talking to builders solely on cost, though. You don't really want the most desperate builder to build your house, especially in this economy. There's a very real likelihood that that kind of builder won't be able to finish your house. Get referrals and research thoroughly. Your first builder may be able to sharpen his pencil a bit if he knows you are talking to other builders.

Good luck!

Old 12-11-2010, 03:20 PM

23 posts, read 53,316 times
No way it would cost $400 unless there is some type of difficulty building on your lot. I am planning on building a home in Asheville soon and it looks like an average home is about $150 sqft and higher ends around $200.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 AM

406 posts, read 440,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraSavage View Post
We are planning to build a house on a small parcel of land we own in upstate South Carolina, near Spartanburg. I'm cross-posting here because a good friend recommended an architect in Asheville who specializes in the type of house we want to build. We met with him to talk about our plans after I had some research. WE are looking to build a house of about 2000 square feet, two stories, with a few fancy touches (granite counters, stone veneer siding) but mostly run of the mills stuff (Anderson doors and windows, carpet over subflooring, not a lot of elaborate work). When he told me the average cost per square foot to build such a house in the area (or just about anywhere, he said) ran between $250 (low end) and $400 a square foot I nearly fainted. We had been budgeting about $300K to build this house (land is paid for), but by his calculations, it would cost nearly twice that. Am I totally out of touch? I arrived at our calculations via a building cost site that looked fairly reputable and up to date (buildingcost.net). Any suggestions or enlightenment would be appreciated. Thank you.

( building-cost.net ) you have to add the hyphen or it takes you to some "blog" site......... *S*

Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM

73 posts, read 123,488 times
We built in the Waynesville area in 2009. The cost was in the $125 SF range for AC space. We also have a 2 car garage and about 1600 sf of unfinished basement.

Find a local builder, find a design you like, work with the builder on the design, get good bones and put a little extra money into things like granite. You can do it for less than what you are being quoted.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 PM

672 posts, read 846,138 times
$100 per square foot no more no less

Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,878,569 times
well, that depends on what extras you want. for extra good insulation, some energy efficient features, wooden floors, NO vinyl ... we ended up in the 130$ range. which still is a good price, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina