Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,786 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was in Blowing Rock N.C last week and just fell in love with the place. It was just a combination of everything, the high elevation, the cool weather even in the midst of of eastern U.S. heat wave, the beautiful mountains, lush greenery, and the cute town.

I have been on a quest for a while to find the right Western N.C. town for me and Blowing Rock is now waay up there on the list.

My question, is it a 'real town" or is it more a tourist destination and retirement community for the well-heeled?

To me, Brevard N.C. is a real town with a combination of everything with real working people living there, plus retires, tourists, and outdoorsy people. I wonder if Blowing Rock has enough of a population of regular working people and jobs or is it more of a seasonal town?

I would love to hear your comments and observations. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,170 times
I don't live in Blowing Rock but I agree w/ you...it really is a BEAUTIFUL town!!!!! Hopefully someone w/ more knowledge will reply. Why not contact the Chamber Of Commerce and see how many people live there full time vs part time. I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions. Good luck!!!! Annie

Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
To the OP,
I don't live there; we've been there for a week stay, the past 9 years, for the CEO's birthday.
It is a real town, imo, in that it has a downtown with many shops, galleries, a few restaurants,
etc. The main side streets that lead up the hill to downtown also have some inns, shops, etc.

The 2000 census sez there are ~1500 full time residents, which balloons to ~10,000+ in summer
season.

Imo, yes...it could probably be categorized as a summer/fall tourist town, but that in itself is
not "bad", but may not be what you are looking for.

A simple GOOG search turns up the town's moniker, which vis a vis the laundry list of "gov't stuff"
sure makes it look like a "real town".
The net is your friend.
GL, mD

Blowing Rock - Home

Blowing Rock, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM

63 posts, read 152,146 times
Since they operate these services:
  • Administration
  • Fire and Rescue
  • Landscaping
  • Parks & Recreation
  • Planning/Inspections
  • Police
  • Public Works (including Streets and Sanitation)
  • Water/Wastewater
I would be inclined to think they are a "real" town.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh236 View Post
Since they operate these services:
  • Administration
  • Fire and Rescue
  • Landscaping
  • Parks & Recreation
  • Planning/Inspections
  • Police
  • Public Works (including Streets and Sanitation)
  • Water/Wastewater
I would be inclined to think they are a "real" town.
Well thank you for that. I kind of already knew they had these facilities as I visited. lol.

I thought you would understand I was asking something more than sanitation and fire and rescue!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Might as well give it up fellas... you knew it couldn't last forever and someone would finally uncover the truth.

Most of the streets and storefronts are sets that act as a facade - a few sets are more detailed where you can actually walk inside, eat, or shop. A handful of employees are paid to keep up appearances as they run from set to set to keep the tourists fooled.

Frankly, I'm surprised it held up as long as it did.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM

Hmm. I guess some here take things very literally!

I do thank the people who understood what I was asking and gave me helpful replies.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Blowing Rock is good for all seasons for living there.

In the winter you are only minutes from the ski slopes.
Spring time all you need to do is step on your back patio and watch Mother Nature start her art show with the blooming flowers like
rhododendron.
Summer you can drive Blue Ridge Parkway, you can do that all seasons its open. Check out the many many waterfalls.
Tweetsie Railroad becomes a place to take the kids for a party on a Wednesday Afternoon.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I don't live in Blowing Rock but I agree w/ you...it really is a BEAUTIFUL town!!!!! Hopefully someone w/ more knowledge will reply. Why not contact the Chamber Of Commerce and see how many people live there full time vs part time. I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions. Good luck!!!! Annie
Thanks LLL, I always look forward to your input and know you have a true appreciation of all the beauty WNC has to offer.

I have looked at the Chamber site and a lot of other info, but to be honest I find many posters have great insites that a chamber person or administrator can't or wont offer.

I have gotten so many great tips on these boards and info on out of the way places I would never have found if not interacting on these boards. And you are one of them!

For instance I only found out about the lovely town of Black Mountain by the generous info from fellow posters. I adore that town now and it is on my list. It has a lot to offer because of scenic beauty, trails, cute downtown and close to Asheville, an airport etc.

But in some ways I like Blowing Rock even more. Part of it is the higher elevation, the easy access to trails, Moses Cone Park, and the Blue Ridge. But it is also just I feeling a get there that I can't explain. I am looking at all my options and just trying to make the best choice. I'm sure I could be happy in any of these beautiful towns but I'm trying to narrow the choices!

Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,170 times
If you find a place to live in Blowing Rock....I CANNOT imagine you would be unhappy!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina