U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2010, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 4,216 times
Smile Furture relocation to around Asheville area questions

My husband and I live on a fixed income. Not quite seniors, but not young chicks either. We can only afford approximately $400 per month for rent. We would love to have less than high 80 degree weather in the summer and less than harsh winters. 40 to 50 would be perfect. Any place near Asheville we could call home in a neighborhood under these conditions? Any advice? Any suggestions of where is a good safe place? Thank you so much!!!!!
dottie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,599,415 times
Not to be mean but you are a dreamer if you think you can rent anything in asheville or the surrounding areas for 400 a month. Unless of course you plan to share a house with others or something. The cheapest 1bd apts are atleast 600 a month. You might find a trailer in a trailer park that cheap or in a project, but anything else is going to be at least 600.

Furthermore, your temperature requirements don't fit asheville, especially not this year. We have had weeks of highs in the 90's and the winter there were days that didn't get out of the 20's.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 07-19-2010 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Left out information.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 AM

532 posts, read 643,827 times
I think you need to do some extensive research into the area and plan a visit or two. As saucystargazer said, $400 is going to be tough. The general cost of living is not as low as many expect, particularly housing.

We also may be a bit warmer in summer and quite a bit colder in winter than you are looking for. As said, we just had a hard winter and are going through a warmer than usual summer. For example, the last forecast I saw for this week had temperatures in the high 80s from Tuesday through the end of the week. We've had a couple of stretches of 90s for several consecutive days already and August is still ahead of us.

By all means, check these things out for yourself. Bookmark weather.com for 28801 and check it every few days. Check out sites with apartment listings for Asheville, make some notes about locations and feel free to ask about those locations here.

I don't want to push you away, but I also don't want you having unrealistic expectations about our area. Unrealistic expectations almost always equal disappointment.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,994,256 times
Not an RE expert, but I agree with saucystargazer: 4 Bens/month might get a dilapidated single wide, but maybe not.

Lower elevations, eg Asheville, and surrounds, have the milder winters...higher elevations, as in
3,800-4,000 ft +, have the cooler, (less hot, this year), summers, but tougher/longer winters.

The OP's requirements and budget are unrealistic, imo.
GL, mD

Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 AM

3,552 posts, read 3,791,848 times
Agree with other posters, you won't find this in Asheville.

For the cost and the winter temps, you might get lucky in Southern rural South Carolina or rural Georgia. But the summer temps are going to be in the 90's in the SE US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina