Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra View Post
And while it was still early in the day, I noticed no one who was misbehaving
That's the thing, people don't really get out of hand until night time. That's when everyone is really hammered and making lots of noise and being rowdy. I have no problem with tourists overall, in fact the town rather depends on them due to lack of other industry, but drunk, noisy tourists with no respect for others are annoying in any town, not just Asheville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inave
But after some of the comments about tourists, perhaps we need to rethink. My question is, unless one never strays from home, isn't one a tourist at some point in one's life?
I wouldn't worry about it. As jello said, you won't notice any hostility when you're actually here. A lot of the time internet forums tend to be full of people with negative things to say. Just be a normal, respectful person like you would anywhere; you won't have any problems.

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 07-30-2010 at 02:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
Wow, I got on this board to say how much my husband and I enjoyed our first trip ever to Asheville last weekend and how nice folks were and that we bought season tickets to Biltmore so we definitely plan to be back. But after some of the comments about tourists, perhaps we need to rethink. My question is, unless one never strays from home, isn't one a tourist at some point in one's life? I live in a tourist area and find it a nice compliment that so many people want to spend their time and money in my town. This thread aside, however, everyone we encountered, from hotel clerks to waitstaff were very nice and friendly.
Being from Blowing Rock and having such a brutal winter, we missed our tourists. Like it or not, we depend on tourism. Tourism feeds a lot of the families up here. We definitely need other industries to give locals better paying jobs. If you don't work for the University or the medical jobs up here, it can be very difficult to make a decent living. Instead of hurting the feelings of folks that visit our tourist towns and spend their hard earned money, write your Senators and remind them that N.C. has a western part of the state that could use some much needed good paying jobs. We seem to be forgotten when the state is luring companies here. It is as if Raleigh forgets us unless the government officials come up here to cool off. As a matter of fact, I wrote both Senators last week to remind them that we have been ignored and not everyone wants service industry jobs.

Getting back to the original subject, my brother has lived in Asheville for forty years and usually goes to Belle Chere for a day, if not the whole three days. I think maybe the town should think about charging if it is costing the town money. Merlefest charges and still plenty of people go. It might hold the crowd down some. I think Restaurants and Hotels had to have made some money. Personally I had a great time but I tend to have fun wherever I go.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 PM

358 posts, read 999,606 times
Actually, we were quite surprised when we heard that Bele Chere was free. None of the places we have lived have anything like that without charging admission, which is why I grew up in New Orleans and have never been to JazzFest! Catbirds, we have something in common. I enjoy life no matter where I go or what it brings and look for the fun in everything.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Folks, we've had a lot of issues with people going totally off topic on this thread. While I understand that easy to do, you must abide by the terms of service and keep to the topic of the thread or I will have to delete your post.

Also, please, disagree with comments is OK, but no personal attacks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina