U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 14,756 times

Advertisements

I worked in Spruce Pine for many summers, and always wanted to live there. Is there anyone on here from there, or nearby, that could give me some information on what it is like to actually live there? Have looked at Burnsville and Bakersville as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,531 times
WoW! No one has answered ya yet? I'll try to help a little bit.

Spruce Pine is still here. We now have a wally world. Furniture factories are going away. We are now the home of the perfect Christmas tree. So... Spruce Pine is now becoming more of a tourist destination. Still no brand name motels or hotels. Building on to the hospital. Sill small town with small town politics. Great healthcare. (Especially Home Health by MCHH)!!

So personally, I love it! Bakersville is too small town for me! And north above Bakersville, beautiful Country, but to far from stores for me!!! Burnsville is kinda like Spruce Pine, but no hospital. I perfer Spruce Pine and find the schools to be better except for in Math, but they are improving in this area.

Pinebridge Center is still here if having a gym is important to ya. McCall's and Wellborn's are going out of business this weekend. They are working on reviving the Carolina Barn Dance, AKA The Carolina Theater.

Let me know if there are other questions. Or any thing specific.

Pam

Old 10-04-2006, 06:50 PM

204 posts, read 528,702 times
Default NC's Great Northwest Territory

I have land in McDowell County by Lake James but have given a lot of thought lately to buying something in the high country in Yancey or Mitchell Counties. I thought that it would be nice to have a hot weather retreat up there or just go there to enjoy the scenery and quiet. However, I think that the distance to basic amenities up there is a big drawback. So are the transportation arteries. I'm not a cosmopolitan type but think that more than a few miles to healthcare, Wally World and more than one eatery is a killer. It is magnificent country, though, and it is still reasonably priced compared with Buncombe County.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,891 times
Default Mitchell County

I have lived in Mitchell County my whole life, and although I may be biased, I find the Tipton Hill/Poplar area to be far more beautiful than Spruce Pine. It is more remote, and if you are looking for small town life it is probably not for you, as Wal-Mart is indeed pretty far away. I personally enjoy living away from the glamourous town of Spruce Pine, but it's close enough that you can just drive there when you need something.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 AM

338 posts, read 1,283,261 times
What is the weather like in Mitchell County? Snow accumulations? Tornadoes?
And- what about jobs? teaching jobs ....Thanks!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:09 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,227,006 times
They get a good bit of snow, not sure exactly how much. Tornadoes are almost unheard of in mountain areas due to the hilly land not giving them enough time to properly form.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:04 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,213,791 times
Lightbulb Mountains and Tornadoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
They get a good bit of snow, not sure exactly how much. Tornadoes are almost unheard of in mountain areas due to the hilly land not giving them enough time to properly form.
It is so that Mitchell County has never had a tornado, at least in the last 56 years as reported on http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwEvent~Storms (broken link). That is actually one county I'm considering moving to from Texas where tornadoes are frequent. I also want to get away from our long and hot summers.

It is not the hills that protect Mitchell County, but the fact that thunderstorms develop in warm, moist air in advance of eastward-moving cold fronts. These thunderstorms often produce large hail, strong winds, and tornadoes. It's all relevant to the cold air meeting the humid warm air. Mountains have nothing to do with the formation of tornadoes.

MYTH: Areas near rivers, lakes, and mountains are safe from tornadoes.

FACT: No place is safe from tornadoes. In the late 1980's, a tornado swept through Yellowstone National Park leaving a path of destruction up and down a 10,000 ft. mountain.

After saying all that, Mitchell County is pretty safe from tornadoes but as we all know, they can happen anywhere.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewingate4 View Post
I worked in Spruce Pine for many summers, and always wanted to live there. Is there anyone on here from there, or nearby, that could give me some information on what it is like to actually live there? Have looked at Burnsville and Bakersville as well. Thanks!

Interesting! I lived in Bakersville from 1953 until 1962. My father who is now 89 was born in Ledger and grew up in Altapass just outside of Spruce Pine. I still have relatives there. I am helping Dad write his memoirs and found this site in my search for some information.

I am nostalgic for the area, including Wataga County where I went to college at Appalachian in Boone.

We moved from Bakersville to Rutherford County on March 17th, and it was snowing in Bakersville, and warm in Forest City. I was 12.

I can't really answer your question since it has been so long since I lived there, but thought it interesting to read the comments. I now live in Las Vegas.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 AM

5,661 posts, read 23,893,394 times
Nothing going on in Mitchell, Polk or Ashe Counties over a 53 year period.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 AM

5,661 posts, read 23,893,394 times
I believe the Mitchell County area gets around 3 feet of snow over the course of an average winter (NOV-MAR), but it doesn't stay long. Mitchell County does hold a state climate record for the following event:

GREATEST 24-HOUR RAINFALL

22.22 inches Altapass, Mitchell County July 15-16, 1916
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina