Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM

10 posts, read 37,698 times

Advertisements

Quickly approaching our Sept. 1 move to the Asheville area. My family is looking at rental properties and will probably get one site unseen, however our family and friends will check it out for us ahead of time. We are currently very interested in a property that is very near the Stone House Market restaurant in Leicester (near Old Leicester Highway).

What are you opinions of that area? We are torn between a smaller place in W. Asheville that is in walking distance to shops, or the country life. We are instinctually drawn to the country, but as newcomers to the area, should we start off more in town? I like that this area is rolling, but not too hilly (our cars don't have 4 wheel drive should there be ice).

Do you think the commute to downtown Asheville for events will be too much? I work from home and my husband isn't sure what he will be doing yet. We have a toddler daughter and a lab mix. I'm from NC originally but we have lived in Austin, TX for the past 6 years.

This place is in good shape and is a great size/price for us. Plus the surrounding area is beautiful!

I'm sorry I don't have one direct question, but any thoughts on a newcomer moving to this area would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,422 times
That is a tough decision, town or country, for this area. I have lived within a mile of Stone House Market restaurant for 3.5 yrs. Here is the downside, IMO it isn't bad at all:
1. electrical power gets knocked out a lot. Lots of minor, 1 hr power interruptions from above ground infrastructure, maybe five a year. Last winter's Xmas storm we were 27 hrs without elec. Buy a generator!
2. Our TV and internet are thru satellite, there is no cable service to our house yet.
3. Economy is bad; some people say it is a "bring your own job" economy. I have been laid off once, wife twice, all in last year.
4. I miss 1 or 2 days of work due to icy roads every year, and I have 4WD. 3 or 4 days, go in late.
5. Housing market: I can't sell now, but you might could buy around there and get a great deal. I wish I'd rented now.
On the upside:
1. That commute is not bad. Going into town I call it "Leftster Highway" because everybody wants to drive in the left lane all the way to Patton. Which would be OK if they at least kept up with the speed limit. No real traffic hassles.
2. I have not lived anywhere else in Asheville, so I can't tell you that it is better or worse, but we really like that 'Stone House' area. We have Alexander mail address, actually, and Woodfin water. It would be nice to be able to go out and walk around town, but then people from town can walk around your house, too.
I like where I am: pedestrians, sirens, strange cars, that is all rare stuff in front of my house. Max peaceful.
You might really like living there. We'd like it better if we had jobs, and loved it when we did. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Last edited by Vanderbob; 08-17-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I think you should follow your heart! I bought a summer house over 5 years ago and I eliminated Asheville...right off the bat! It's a city and that WASN'T what I dreamed of. I am now living here full time...in the country and I LOVE my rural lifestyle...it's a decision only you can make

Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Since you're renting you're only stuck there for a year if you don't like it. This will allow you to find just the right place if you decide to stay in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina