Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,788 times

Advertisements

Hi,I have a 13 year old daughter and we are currently living in Florida.We really want a change and I was thinking about Asheville,NC.Is it a good place to raise kids?Are the schools good?Is it safe?We're probley going to be renting an apartment while living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 AM

242 posts, read 1,018,127 times
Small pocket/area to avoid crime wise, otherwise you are good to go. Schools generally are pretty good too. AC Reynolds (East Asheville) and TC Roberson (South Asheville/Arden) are considered very good. Be sure to bring your job with you... =)

Old 08-08-2010, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 68,897 times
what's your opinion on the areas to avoid? just curious

Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber_far View Post
Hi,I have a 13 year old daughter and we are currently living in Florida.We really want a change and I was thinking about Asheville,NC.Is it a good place to raise kids?Are the schools good?Is it safe?We're probley going to be renting an apartment while living there.
Yes, absolutely. What part of FL are you moving here from? We're from South FL originally, than Orlando. We now live close to Asheville.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:43 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsegg View Post
what's your opinion on the areas to avoid? just curious

There are a couple areas you wouldn't want to live in. It's easy to spot them. Just like anywhere else.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 PM

427 posts, read 549,806 times
Well, it's too bad you and yer youngin' ain't fixin' to retire this year, 'cause accordin' to "top retirement", they rate Asheville #1 out of the top 100 places to retire for 2010. And it's been #1 since 2007.

Now, as far as ratings(if ya take stock in such) for the best place to raise a family.......um......I mean.....oops....sorry. I think I just had me one of them thar senior moments I hered tell of! Ok, where was I. Oh yeah!

According ta "childrens health mag.", Asheville does'nt even hit their top 100 places to raise yer kin. The best ranking N.C. city would be Raleigh, #28.

Realistically, all towns gotta have their "don't go there" places. Dependin' on what you and yer youngin' are a lookin' fer, one town may actually be just as good as another.

Wherever ya end up, keep yer eyeball open!! Just don't move to Detroit. It's rated the worst to raise kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Asheville a good place to raise kids?-6892.gif  

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-10-2010 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Removed bold, please don't do ALL BOLD type-hard on the eyes!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:28 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
Small pocket/area to avoid crime wise, otherwise you are good to go. Schools generally are pretty good too. AC Reynolds (East Asheville) and TC Roberson (South Asheville/Arden) are considered very good. Be sure to bring your job with you... =)
I really find it interesting about all the warnings regarding jobs.

My friend, yes, a Floridian moved to WNC just this summer and frankly had no trouble landing a job. She had several offers. I went with her on one of her scouting missions so I know it for a fact. She had offers in Black Mountain and Asheville but decided on the one in Franklin. But she really had no trouble from when she began searching in late May finding employment. So yes, the economy is bad all over but there are jobs out there.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
It just depends on the area, where you want to be working in and your family situation.

if it is something medical or maybe sales, your chances might be average to good.
if you are not that flexible and higher skilled, it seems to be hard to find something, you are happy with.
hubby is an IT engineer and there is almost zero market for him (he will be working from home and has to travel).
I am sure, I am going to find 'something' but I am afraid, not anything, I could raise a family of five right away.

A single person, who really wants to do 'something' can find a job so much easier, maybe just to get the foot in.
but in our case we would need some solid saving to get over the first year(s).

yes, you can read a lot of warnings to get the job lined up first before you move ... but this happens for a reason.
what sense does it make sitting in breathtaking environment, if you can afford a reasonable life style ?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I really find it interesting about all the warnings regarding jobs.

My friend, yes, a Floridian moved to WNC just this summer and frankly had no trouble landing a job. She had several offers. I went with her on one of her scouting missions so I know it for a fact. She had offers in Black Mountain and Asheville but decided on the one in Franklin. But she really had no trouble from when she began searching in late May finding employment. So yes, the economy is bad all over but there are jobs out there.

Your friend was either in the medical field, the hospitality field (the only two areas with any jobs for the most part) or he/she just got very lucky.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber_far View Post
These are very vague, general questions that are *highly* subjective, so expect a wide variety of answers.

Asheville is no different than any other city on the planet in that some schools and neighborhoods are better/safer than others. However, it seems to me that whether an environment is good for raising kids is more a factor of the home created by the parents, not the city in which they live.

You should do your own research on schools and neighborhoods etc. and draw your own conclusions.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina