Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,594 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to Brevard,rosman area, can anyone tell me about these places, it will be me and my 9 yr old daughter.Would like to get some tips on best place to live, reality co, things like that.. any information would greatly appreciated.... I keep looking at diffrent place and always wind up at Brevard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Your statement about you keep looking around but always come back to Brevard hit home with me. I too find myself unable to put Brevard out of the running. It has a lot to offer.

One thing that does bother me about Brevard is the lack of a vibrant downtown. The downtown area seems to close down early with nothing going on.

It isn't vibrant with lots of restaurants and shops like, say, Black Mountain or Blowing Rock. Even though people have told me that it isn't just retirees and tourists I wonder. I would like a downtown area with coffee shops etc. The only place I know to get good coffee is the Sunrise cafe!

I like the town with its close proximity to outdoor activities etc but I don't want to live in a retirement mecca.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Your statement about you keep looking around but always come back to Brevard hit home with me. I too find myself unable to put Brevard out of the running. It has a lot to offer.

One thing that does bother me about Brevard is the lack of a vibrant downtown. The downtown area seems to close down early with nothing going on.

It isn't vibrant with lots of restaurants and shops like, say, Black Mountain or Blowing Rock. Even though people have told me that it isn't just retirees and tourists I wonder. I would like a downtown area with coffee shops etc. The only place I know to get good coffee is the Sunrise cafe!

I like the town with its close proximity to outdoor activities etc but I don't want to live in a retirement mecca.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Coffee: Brighter Day, Quotations, French Broad Cafe, Bracken Bakery, and Sunrise. We have plenty of coffe, but it doesn't seem to keep people awake. Jordon St and Square Root have music on week ends. It usually starts around 10. Jordon St has a jam on Tue night. Other than that not much happening.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,365 times
Smile Brevard

As a resident of Brevard I would recommend moving to Brevard as opposed to Rosman. Rosman might be a little cheaper, but Brevard has an actual town. The high school/middle school in Brevard is also better. The town is mostly a retirement area so don't expect an active night life. Trivia night at the Square Root on Thursday is always fun if you are into that and during the summer on Tuesday (?) there is some sort of square dancing event. Brevard is a very safe town, and what I really love is the access to the National Forest as well as the bike paths that are being constructed.
For places to live......... Do you want to live close to town or on a mountain top in the forest 15 minutes away? I would recomend living in town. There are a lot of good areas to live but as a general rule when looking for a house I would stay away from the neighborhood with the Sharing House/Bread of Life/Free Clinic (Oakdale St and Carver St). The eastern part of the town has more money. I don't know your price range, so I can't recommend a specific part of town. I would say look at French Broad St., the Franklin park area, Maple St, Minor St, Grove St. If you want to live outside of town any neighborhood would probably be good. Outside of town is very safe and the mountains and country side are beautiful. There are tons of information about buying a house in Brevard. Fisher is a good reality group (I think), maybe Dimps and Blue Ridge Reality.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammik9 View Post
As a resident of Brevard I would recommend moving to Brevard as opposed to Rosman. The town is mostly a retirement area so don't expect an active night life. I really love is the access to the National Forest as well as the bike paths that are being constructed.
For places to live......... Do you want to live close to town or on a mountain top in the forest 15 minutes away? I would recomend living in town. There are a lot of good areas to live but as a general rule when looking for a house I would stay away from the neighborhood with the Sharing House/Bread of Life/Free Clinic (Oakdale St and Carver St). The eastern part of the town has more money. I don't know your price range, so I can't recommend a specific part of town. I would say look at French Broad St., the Franklin park area, Maple St, Minor St, Grove St.
Wow you offered a lot of great info. HOpe you don't mind if I chime in.

I am interested in Brevard also love it, and also the access to Nat'l forest etc. YOu said they are putting in bike trails? Where are they exactly?

I was thinking of trying to find a house north of downtown-is that a nice area. I specifically don't like the Conestee falls subdivsion. I don't like big housing developments with gates etc. I would like to live north because it is closer to the forest, Asheville, and airport.

But I really thought Brevard had a nice mix-retirement, college, and regular folks lol! I had always heard that Hendersonville was the retirement mecca.
I am not super familiar with neighborhoods in Brevard I usually just go there to hike, backpack and camp but have spent some time in the downtown area.
Also what area would you say is nice if you want to live a bit outside town and with more elevation? Thanks for any info.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:54 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
As a resident of Brevard I would recommend moving to Brevard as opposed to Rosman. Rosman might be a little cheaper, but Brevard has an actual town. The high school/middle school in Brevard is also better. The town is mostly a retirement area so don't expect an active night life. Trivia night at the Square Root on Thursday is always fun if you are into that and during the summer on Tuesday (?) there is some sort of square dancing event. Brevard is a very safe town, and what I really love is the access to the National Forest as well as the bike paths that are being constructed.
For places to live......... Do you want to live close to town or on a mountain top in the forest 15 minutes away? I would recomend living in town. There are a lot of good areas to live but as a general rule when looking for a house I would stay away from the neighborhood with the Sharing House/Bread of Life/Free Clinic (Oakdale St and Carver St). The eastern part of the town has more money. I don't know your price range, so I can't recommend a specific part of town. I would say look at French Broad St., the Franklin park area, Maple St, Minor St, Grove St. If you want to live outside of town any neighborhood would probably be good. Outside of town is very safe and the mountains and country side are beautiful. There are tons of information about buying a house in Brevard. Fisher is a good reality group (I think), maybe Dimps and Blue Ridge Reality.
the part about the schools being better than Rosman's are simply not true. Both are great schools. One year, Rosman will have better test scores, the next Brevard will. I graduated from Rosman, but I'm not biased as Ive had lots of friends and family who graduated from Brevard. But there is a reason that there are more people that transfer from Brevard to Rosman than the other way around.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:08 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Just back from my first visit to Brevard and wow, what a wonderful town. My brother and sister-in-law have property in Rosman and encouraged me to consider relocating there but Brevard just felt like home immediately. I am a bit concerned about how fast the area might be growing. Can anyone tell me if there is a lot of development in the area? I didn't see a lot of new housing and hope that this is an area that will not develop too much in the near future. Be a shame to see the natural beauty and culture of the area disappear.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 AM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times
We looked long and hard at Brevard as we, too, loved it. The people are great, the area beautiful, and it is "off the beaten path."

We went back several times and even looked at homes in the area, but finally settled on East Asheville (Riceville area). Black Mountain was also a strong draw for us but the house we found and could afford was in Riceville, surrounded by trees, just below the Parkway (1/2 mile), with wildlife and wonderful neighbors.

We ruled out Brevard based on health care availability (our insurance coverage was an issue for us - better health care in Hendersonville), distance to decent shopping (Hendersonville isn't far, but the road in and back gets slow and isn't the greatest trip), the lack of activities (again, Hendersonville has plenty, but was too far for us), and affordability. Cost of living calculations I did put Brevard a little beyond where I wanted to be.

So if you love it, can afford it, don't mind the trips to Hendersonville for certain things, Brevard is awesome.

For us, Riceville was better.

Good luck finding your dream location!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Nurider,

There isn't a ton of brand-new housing in Brevard compared to other WNC towns.

I think Brevard will continue to grow, just because the sheer number of people in the world keeps increasing. But I think it will be slow steady growth.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,897 times
Default me too

Quote:
I'm looking at a property just 10 miles south of Brevard & would like an honest discussion of the area. Am a nature lover, retiring with hubby, no schools to worry about, moving from Milwaukee Wisconsin, have a sister & Mom in Charlotte, but love the WNC feel & hiking & kayaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina