Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Asheville airport has non-stop flights to NYC. It also has them to Orlando. I'm sure there are others, but those two come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM

76 posts, read 223,586 times
Default Severe Winters in WNC

I realize that this is very subjective, but even though this past winter there was more snow, it was still less than 200 inches. And not below zero very often. Not too severe in my opinion. I think WNC is fabulous!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 PM

29 posts, read 99,023 times
saucystargazer - yes I'm sure Asheville has flights to NYC - we are not particularly interested in living in Greenville - although it has a terrific downtown, more interested in the fact that those airports would be accessible to us if we live in a mountain community. Between the 4 airports, we have a lot of choice in travel.
Greenville would be close to the SC mountain communities - Cesar's Head area, Table Rock and the mountain lakes of the northwest.
and Tarheel 22 I agree this winter everywhere in the east was more severe and unusually cold - but a small price to pay in WNC for the delightful 3 other seasons.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM

358 posts, read 983,173 times
So it may not be AS hot here in the mountains as it is in SC, but it's still pretty damn hot.

Just the other day it was 94 degrees and the humidity was at 85%.

The those saying it doesn't get above 85, I really wish that were the case.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
OT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
So it may not be AS hot here in the mountains as it is in SC, but it's still pretty damn hot.

Just the other day it was 94 degrees and the humidity was at 85%.

The those saying it doesn't get above 85, I really wish that were the case.
Depends upon altitude; warmest, muggiest summer here, in our 9 yrs, but our high temp was only 79, in the shade.
Yes, hot in the sun, and the house warmed up more than usual, so we actually ran our 3 zone A/C more this summer than
in several previous summers combined. But, at ~5,000 ft is a different zone and hot is relative, up here. The temp range is
dramatic, here in western NC, mostly dependent on altitude...
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for 2nd home/retirement in WNC-152_0132-mtpisgah-cloudceiling-11-17-08_editedreduce.jpg   Ideas for 2nd home/retirement in WNC-sunsetdownthemtn10-28-09-reduce.jpg   Ideas for 2nd home/retirement in WNC-sunrays-fall-10-12-08-telegapshot   Ideas for 2nd home/retirement in WNC-sunriselakeof-fog-6-30-am-5  

Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Why not wait until you are ready to relocate to buy? You'll be much better off investing those funds somewhere else in the short term. Add in maintenance and rising taxes and the cost of owning that second home really adds up.

Don't worry - if you don't buy 'now', you won't be priced out of the market - we heard that during the 'bubble' from NAR. There will be plenty of homes available in 6-10 years from now....

Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
Why not wait until you are ready to relocate to buy? You'll be much better off investing those funds somewhere else in the short term. Add in maintenance and rising taxes and the cost of owning that second home really adds up.

Don't worry - if you don't buy 'now', you won't be priced out of the market - we heard that during the 'bubble' from NAR. There will be plenty of homes available in 6-10 years from now....

thank you - yes, if we do buy now it would be to enjoy a second home or getaway before retirement, but we are not in that position yet, and need to do more research and explore more areas before settling or zoning in on one area.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 PM

We had a nice long weekend in Jonesborough, TN - and took back roads all the way back to Marion before heading back to Charlotte - saw Llittle Switzerland and had a nice lunch at a new restaurant in Spruce Pine called the Tin Lizard - excellent food, service and ambiance for those who live or visit Spruce Pine - we also enjoyed the bookstore and coffee shop in Little Switzerland - I could spend hours in there. but felt LS was too steep for regular living. the vistas are spectacular and we would have to explore specific residential areas - but I think going there made us realize that we really like a town - with a variety of things to do and not so isolated. I am glad we got to see LS - I've been intrigued by the area ever since friends said they visited or had homes there.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Hi I know where Spruce Pine is but am not familliar with Little Switzerland? Where is it? Thanks

Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 AM

Little Switzerland is on the Blue Ridge Parkway several miles southeast of Spruce Pine. a small enclave built into the mountain - a couple of inns, stores and restaurants - spectacular views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina