Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:52 AM

21 posts, read 45,669 times

Advertisements

I know western NC is beautiful with the mountains, lakes and views. I'm wondering which towns have cool summers with LOW humidity. I guess what I'm looking for is a quaint, quiet, small, safe and pleasing summer weather town. I'm not bothered by the fact that in the mountains there could be some harsh winter weather. I'm also looking for a spot where you can be a drive away from the big box stores but you can live in surroundings where there aren't too many close neighbors. Know of any place like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,638 times
Blowing Rock, it is 70 degrees right now. Although, we have had an unusually hot summer for us.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Waynesville...here at 5,000 ft, we have 68.8 degs right now, at high noon.
Agree with Catbirds: hottest and muggiest summer we have experienced in
our 9 years here.

To the OP: there are a couple dozens towns/areas that fill your request, here
in western NC, imo. More specifics would help as opposed to any of us pumping our
own home place or, writing term papers with a couple dozen ideas...
GL, mD

Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 45,669 times
I guess my specifics are small(5000 or less), safe( to go for a walk in the evening), quiet(neighbors not too close--would like a couple of acres--like people, but not on top of us) and quaint(just has a nice old fashioned feel to it). Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for ? View Post
I guess my specifics are small(5000 or less), safe( to go for a walk in the evening), quiet(neighbors not too close--would like a couple of acres--like people, but not on top of us) and quaint(just has a nice old fashioned feel to it). Thanks for taking the time to respond.
If you include ~3500 feet to slightly less than 5,000 ft elevation, and those things you listed, that narrows it down to about every plateau and
ridge line in western NC, elevation-wise, and maybe 3-4 dozen+ towns/"areas".

For starters, listing my home area first:
Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Sylva, Bryson City, Clyde, Canton, parts of Madison county, maybe areas of greater Asheville, Black Mtn, Blowing Rock,
Boone, etc. I am sure I missed some, at least based on elevation and "good places" to live; that list is simply off the top of my head.
GL, mD

PS: Probably not the 3 or 4 easy recommendations you want, but if you haven't done so, you might spend an hourish reading through several similar
threads to yours, on this forum.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,638 times
and then there is the West Jefferson area and north to Mouth of Wilson that borders Va. or around Trade or Mountain City, Tenn. just across the line in N.C. Besides hiking, tell us what interest you. Are you an artist or writer, would be farmer, someone that can work at home. How much can you spend would make a big difference in where you may find your little piece of heaven. Prices are coming down some but some places much higher than others. Most of the places listed have charming little downtown areas.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for ? View Post
Have you looked at Abingdon, VA? (not too far from Boone)

Old 08-29-2010, 04:27 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Connesstee Falls

Old 08-30-2010, 05:43 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,901 times
Cashiers / Highlands.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Some great recommendations already, and I personally really like the West Jefferson area for year-round living since it doesn't swell with tourists like Blowing Rock and doesn't swell with college students like Boone.

One point that hasn't been made is that you will not find anywhere in the mountains of NC with low humidity...humidity is high throughout the state of NC. The difference is that in the mid-high elevations of the mountains the temperature is usually low enough that the effects of the humidity are not as apparent and the overall comfort level is quite nice.

If you are truly looking for a mountain environment with LOW humidity, you'll have to head to the Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina