Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,695 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Murphy, NC with my parents. I'm studying for my associate degree in Computer Information Technology at the local tech college. I'm originally from Wisconsin and have lived in North Carolina since 2011, with a 8 month gap back in Wisconsin.

I personally hate living in Murphy. It's an extremely small town with no jobs. I have no family other than my parents, and don't know a whole lot of people. I just don't feel like I fit in with the culture and have no history here. This town is very bland and boring.

I'm debating of transferring to a normal college in Asheville or the Raleigh area to study for a bachelors degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems. I'm still not 100% sure if the cost of a normal college is worth the price, but wanted to see if Asheville might be a good option if I do transfer.

I have been to Asheville before and enjoyed myself, but I have only seen small parts of the city.

(Questions)

Does Asheville have a good amount of computer based jobs?

Are they open to atheist people?

Is the UNC college any good?

Are outsiders welcome, like Yankees? :P (Murphy seems to have a local first policy when it comes to jobs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
What are you looking to do with a degree in computer science or computer information systems?

If you are looking to obtain a bachelor's degree, Western Carolina University and University of North Carolina Asheville have programs in computer science. Western Carolina University has an additional program for computer information systems.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,695 times
I would like to become programmer, creating software, business or otherwise. I figure getting a degree in CS or CIS would help me gain the skills to create commercial quality software, rather than me watching some Youtube videos and just programming a little for a hobby. My ultimate goal would be creating my own indie video games.

My main concern would be the high level math. I wouldn't call myself a math wizard, but i'm ok at it. From what I understand CIS is a little lighter on the math and focuses more on the business solutions / business programming side of things.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
If you are looking for less emphasis on math and think computer information systems is right for you, definitely go that route.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:55 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctravel View Post
Asheville may be fine for attending college, but I think you should be looking at larger cities when you search for a post-college job. For example, Charlotte, Raleigh (and the RTP), and Greenville/Spartanburg, SC will be much larger sources of computer jobs.

BTW, I think the CIS degree is a fine way to go. Most of the real job market emphasizes solving business problems with computers. If you develop indie video games, you would probably have to do that as a side business outside of your day job.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Agree with GA1 above: if you desire to remain within a reasonable drive of Murphy, NC, I'd look at much larger metros (after completion of college courses) - these include: Greenville/Upstate SC, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and (gasp) Atlanta. The Asheville metro may offer a few CIT opportunities but the pay may be much lower than in larger cities.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:22 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
No question, skip Asheville and go to the RTP and pick either UNC or NC State for your BS degree. With a BS in that field, you would be well positioned for a good job almost anywhere I n the U.S.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Bottom line: Transfer to NC State, get your credentials and look for good jobs from there. You will like that path better.

UNC-A is good, Western can give you what you want academically; no slam on them. But jobs are lacking and that is your goal in the end. Go where you can get the education and get jobs.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:10 AM

395 posts, read 462,474 times
Quote:

(Questions)

Are they open to atheist people?

Is the UNC college any good?

Are outsiders welcome, like Yankees? :P (Murphy seems to have a local first policy when it comes to jobs)
I am sure you have heard by now that Downtown Asheville is known to be a very liberal, accepting little mecca. It prides itself on that. It's quite the amalgamated center and whether you are Southern, Yankee, or whatever, no one really seems to care. People from all parts of the country are there, with many different ideas and walks of life being represented.
Where you finish your education and where you will end up getting a job don't necessarily have to be the same place. While getting your education, you can enjoy yourself in a fun and vibrant little city with an interesting nightlife (although lack of places to go dancing, it seems. If anyone is looking for a good business idea, I think a good little dance-place could do very well!). My daughter has been having a wonderful time going to UNCA. Good school and nice, safe little city to enjoy with friends. When she is finished with her education, she will be moving on to another area/state/country for a job, but meanwhile Asheville will be a very positive part of her life-long memory.
If UNCA has the program that you would need to get the degree you want, I would look into it. The other nice thing is that if you/your parents are residents of NC, the tuition is VERY fair for in-state students for the NC University system. You really can't beat it for the quality you would be getting.
All best in whatever you decide!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:

It's an extremely small town with no jobs.

So you would be moving here with no job. There are no jobs here either unless you want to work in hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina