U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,266,671 times
Default Road Right of Way width?

I'm not in the area at the moment so I've looked on line but haven't found the answer to my question. How wide is the right of way on a public road in Buncombe County?

What I want to do is build a fence along the side of my property that abuts a roadway. It's not a private road. It's a regular two lane (one each way) road in the County and it's not in any city limits.

I need to make sure that it's out of the road's right of way. As I understand it, the right of way goes beyond the blacktop edge of the road. The distance, whatever that number is, is measured from the center of the road and out to the sides. I'm trying to determine what that distance is so I can ensure that the fence doesn't encroach on it.

So, does an yone know what the distance is for a right of way in Buncombe County? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM

98 posts, read 186,671 times
It all depends...LOL...send me a message with the street name and rough location. I will see if I can help you out.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 PM

7 posts, read 30,939 times
On Secondary roads in the countryside, the Right of Way normally extends from the middle of the road to the back of the drainage ditch. You can check with the NCDOT Division 13 office at this number to check on the distance for sure though: (828) 251-6171. Any of the engineers there should be able to answer your question, or point you in the right direction to do so.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,266,671 times
Thanks for the number to NCDOT, ncdragon. I will need it for this issue and other things I plan to do.

waytosouth - thank you for the offer, too. I sent you a message.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 PM
NCN

13,857 posts, read 11,268,705 times
I have heard 30 feet for years, so when I planted trees in 1975 on our property, I went to the center of the road and steped 30 steps thinking I would surely have them out of the road right of way, but calling the NCDOT is a very good idea because these right of ways sometimes change. You will see a sign on the road that states that the right of way is so many feet from the center of the road. I used to wonder why the signs were there. It is sort of like a zoning notice. If the road had not been in the center of the right of way--it is now.

I am not a lawyer, so this information is just as good as what you paid to get it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina