U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 12:17 PM

44 posts, read 81,268 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be coming down for 1+ in October to look at the neighborhoods in the area -- particularly West Asheville and Weaverville -- for potential relocation, and we'd love to be able to stop into a couple of open houses just to see what housing is like. (It's too soon to involve a realtor because we haven't even decided that we'll be moving there.)

But I can't find any open houses. Are open houses not done in western NC or am I not looking in the right places?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 PM

765 posts, read 2,363,847 times
Yes they nare done--we've had several in this neighborhood this summer. However, open houses rarely result in a sale and realtors don't like to do them from what I've seen and been told (by my realtors). Your best bet is to get online and look at all the listings in your area of interest/price range. Then if you find any you're really interested in arrange for a visit with a local realtor. You don't have to sign any papers until you get serious. Keep in mind that sales in Buncombe County for August were down so realtors are still desperate. Have a good trip

Old 09-11-2010, 02:29 PM

756 posts, read 1,519,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Yes they nare done--we've had several in this neighborhood this summer. However, open houses rarely result in a sale and realtors don't like to do them from what I've seen and been told (by my realtors). Your best bet is to get online and look at all the listings in your area of interest/price range. Then if you find any you're really interested in arrange for a visit with a local realtor. You don't have to sign any papers until you get serious. Keep in mind that sales in Buncombe County for August were down so realtors are still desperate. Have a good trip
I agree with Cofga 100% here. We shopped Jan-May and bought in May. Open houses were not nearly as helpful as searching on line and then getting a showing from an agent.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 AM

44 posts, read 81,268 times
We're not looking to buy probably for at least 2 years, and I don't want to impose on a realtor to show us housing that won't result in a sale. We just want to see the inside of some houses, and thought an open house would be an approach.

Cofga, you said that a few were scheduled in your neighborhood during the summer. Do you know if there's a way to find out which they are? I haven't found any search on the internet that shows open houses.

Thanks,
Marcia

Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,506,997 times
mbenay-

DM sent w/ a link for searches

Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM

765 posts, read 2,363,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenay View Post
We're not looking to buy probably for at least 2 years, and I don't want to impose on a realtor to show us housing that won't result in a sale. We just want to see the inside of some houses, and thought an open house would be an approach.

Cofga, you said that a few were scheduled in your neighborhood during the summer. Do you know if there's a way to find out which they are? I haven't found any search on the internet that shows open houses.

Thanks,
Marcia
If you go to individual realty company websites and look for their advanced search options, they often have one for open houses

Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 AM

120 posts, read 350,836 times
Even though you may not be purchasing a house now but rather in two years, if you feel you have done your homework on the area for what your needs are and you are at the seriously considering moving here stage then it would be actually a good thing to contact a couple or a few realtors and go meet with them. 1) to see who may be a good fit for you 2) for perspective and information Then after you meet with the realtors, if you especially like one and it is appropriate, ask to see a few houses. Often realtors will communicate and stay in contact with prospective clients to keep them updated so that when the time arrives to move and buy a house it is a win-win situation for everyone. The key is to be up front with them about your situation right from the beginning and to not waste their time. We have done this and found it quite valuable.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM

426 posts, read 978,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenay View Post
My husband and I will be coming down for 1+ in October to look at the neighborhoods in the area -- particularly West Asheville and Weaverville -- for potential relocation, and we'd love to be able to stop into a couple of open houses just to see what housing is like. (It's too soon to involve a realtor because we haven't even decided that we'll be moving there.)

But I can't find any open houses. Are open houses not done in western NC or am I not looking in the right places?

Thanks!

You can go to openhouse dot com and look for Open Houses on
Homes and Land, Trulia, Zillow and Craigslist. I am sure other Realtors post them their too...... I also put my listings Open House info on MLS........ but you would need a Realtor to search that for you. Open House attendances are up and down. The Realtor hosting will try to capture you as a buyer that they can work with if the one the Open House is for doesn't work for you. I agree with the advice to search online....... realtor dot com is a great place to start. When you are ready, a Realtor is able to assist you in relocating with their RELO company. They can help you to sell and buy even out of their area if they work with a RELO company. Learn as much as you can about the areas that interest you 1st......... have employment worked out, seach schools and other things that are important to you....... then when you are ready, contact a Realtor (**NOT all Real Estate Agents are REALTORS) that will do their best to find the right home for the best price for you. Good luck. I am relocating too........ so even though I am a REALTOR I am doing all of my research prior then we will take a short trip up to make our final decision. NOW is a SUPER time to BUY!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-03-2010 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Soliciting is NOT allowed on this site!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina