U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,871,805 times
Default Prostitution in West Asheville

No, this is not a solicitation.

But has anyone else noticed that there are several women "keeping post" on various street corners in West Asheville lately? I haven't lived here that long, but I've never noticed the problem until recently.

I've never seen a prostitute downtown at all, so just wondering what's going on here in WAVL. Hate to see the neighborhood turn into the Bowery.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,468,426 times
Nah its pretty normal. Especially near scandals in downtown. I;m sure the police would apperciate a call though next time you do see them.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,731,968 times
Yeah, this is not unusual for West Asheville. Not that it's a bad part of town, but if you're going to see prostitution in Asheville, that's where it would be. I agree with saucy, you should let the police know where they are, and you might see the situation improve. The only thing is, career criminals are used to dealing with the police, so they probably won't get them right away. Better than doing nothing though.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,129,651 times
Every couple of years APD runs a "John sting" and usually end up nabbing a baptist preacher or two from neighboring counties. Gets rather humorous at times.

But I suspect it has been going on all along, you're finally seeing the true colors, as new comers eventually take off their rose colored glasses in a year or so.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 PM

10,893 posts, read 8,618,470 times
And if the prostitutes weren't out there trying to make an honest dollar,
what complaints would there be if they became dependent on the Gov't for their survival? Or if they became panhandlers instead? Or resorted to crime?

Give thanks when you see them!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM

458 posts, read 557,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
what complaints would there be if they became dependent on the Gov't for their survival? Or if they became panhandlers instead? Or resorted to crime?

This is funny.

An 'honest dollar'? I'd venture to say this is a 'supplemental income' for these ladies.

My 15 year old son attends school with future panhandlers (lunchroom beggars that harass for cash in front of the vending machines on a daily basis) and criminals (drug dealers). Your point?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

First off, that's a false dilemma; those aren't the only choices. They could also get a legitimate job.

Second, I don't have any problem with prostitution per se; what two consenting adults decide to do with their time and money amounts to a business transaction and is no concern of mine. However, what does concern me is the associated crime and problems that go along with it.

Personally, I think it should be legalized . . . but it ain't . . . and so the reality is that does pose potential problems.

Trust me, I'm not losing any sleep over it . . . I was just curious if this was a recent phenomenon, since I have seen *zero* prostitution in Asheville . . . but maybe I'm just not likely to hang around in places that they frequent. I do frequent Haywood Road though, which is why I ask. Again, was just curious if this was something new . . . and apparently it's not.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
An 'honest dollar'? I'd venture to say this is a 'supplemental income' for these ladies.
The only thing dishonest about it is that they don't pay taxes. I'd imagine the illegality of prostitution actually benefits them in that respect.

Other than that, it seems like an honest day's work to me . . . no less honest than a nurse, psychotherapist, auto mechanic, or other "service provider".

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,811,627 times
there for sure is a demand - and a need of someone to full fill it.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
They could also get a legitimate job.
What is a "legitimate" job? People providing entertainment others clearly want and are willing to pay for are not legitimate?

Quote:
However, what does concern me is the associated crime and problems that go along with it.
prostitution doesn't cause crime. There is no more crime associated with prostitution than average citizens in countries that have legalized it. I've seen that first hand. Crime is associated with prostitution in the USA only because our system inflates criminal behavior surrounding drug use, and forces the profession of prostitution to channel johns' money toward drug purchase. Legalize prostitution and provide more drug programs(inlcluding state provided free or reduced cost drugs for abusers) and more prostitutes won't be drug users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina