U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:56 AM

529 posts, read 920,094 times

Advertisements

I understand. But if it is in Brevard there hasn't been much swooping going on here for a couple of years. Definitely a buyer's market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 AM

4,830 posts, read 5,455,875 times
Yeah, I find the market a little different in Brevard. A lot of the inventory seems dated compared with surrounding towns. On top of that, Brevard seems more expensive for what you get!

Even stranger, I've seen several homes on the market that were built in the last five years there, but look dated. I also find the exterior colors dull and gray.

Found a new one that defies the prevailing trend and is located further out. Still think the price is a bit higher than it really should be, but is still a better value than what else is available.

It just seems like people in Transylvania are REALLY proud of their real estate. LOL. Even Lake Toxaway homes are more expensive than stuff in Cashiers and Highlands.

But I keep seeing figures that show Transylvania county having lost a small percentage of population over the last few years. That trend is the opposite of most mountain counties.

Anyway I'm still hoping to find the right place there because of all the county offers.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM

3,776 posts, read 3,779,972 times
I agree Brevard holds it real estate in high regard lol!
Real estate is higher there than say Waynesville and other towns. But it has definitely come down in the last 2 years ALOT! They are experiencing the effects of the downturn in the economy too.
In fact I have friends that drove up there this week to check out a few houses up for auction, one is in Brevard. This house was on the multi listing for quite a while and now is up for auction for over 100k less than the asking price.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:02 PM

Yeah, it's especially frustrating to look there when I see what I could get where I am now. We were also sky high during the bubble, but not as high as Transylvania. And we have come down faster too.

But I think that whole area of NC didn't feel the effects as early.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 AM

10 posts, read 23,950 times
Default praise for the "cool town" creators

As for "cool" towns, who creates them with their great atmospheres? I cannot imagine having the stamina to plan, organize, build, set up, decorate & run a business with its constant employee, overhead and profitt worry problems, all the while smiling and keeping an upbeat, exhaustingly positive attitude. I will thank them for their work as I pass through spending too little to help them much.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:17 PM

10,277 posts, read 14,133,241 times
Brevard is a darling small town. A bit on the isolated side if you need access to a large mall, there is one in Asheville that is "so so". No discount malls anywhere. WalMarts and middle of the road stores abound near Asheville. Kohls, Target etc. Brevard is relatively a retirement town as are most of the mountain towns in WNC. It is difficult to get ANYwhere from Brevard, keep that in mind. I lived near Penrose for a long time, and it was awful trying to get to I 26 if you wanted to go south to Greenville SC to get to a real city. Asheville has a lot of small shops, caters to the "young hippies" coffee house, artsy, multi colored hair culture. If you choose Brevard, plan to stick in that general area. Everything else is 20 miles from there.

Hendersonville is an okay town, lots more to do than Brevard and better highway access. Lots of traffic in Hendersonville in the summer, lots of developers went belly up in Hendersonville area and Asheville area, abandoned developments between those two towns and not much has been done since the boom in real estate.

Been here for over 10 years, and if I had to pick a place now to move to in the vicinity, it would be north or east of Asheville. Fairview area or Black Mountain area, better access to Rt. 40. Hickory is lovely and better highway access to Charlotte via Rt. 77. I've even considered going to the foothills of upstate SC. Traveler's Rest, Greer, etc. to get closer to airport and excellent shopping in Greenville.

The Asheville airport is a joke. Everywhere you want to go requires a connection either from Charlotte or Atlanta. Thre is a nice airport in Greenville also, but you still need to connect to get anywhere. Charlotte is a long 2 hr. ride from Hendersonville, from Brevard, forget it. I don't fly out of Charlotte in the winter simply because the weather is too unpredictable in the mountains.

That's about it. Hope this helps. Brevard is a basically tourist town. If you need employment and need good access to shopping, stick with larger towns, and visit Brevard when you need a old timey town fix.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 30,063 times
While I agree that Brevard and Transylvania County are wonderful areas, there is something else that you should make sure to look at before you "take the plunge" and buy. If you have a "view" you are going to be taxed on it! People I worked with that lived outside Brevard were taxed for the "view" from their property. When thinking about building on another section of their property, they found out that "view tax" would increase. Check out what the total property taxes are before committing.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 PM

529 posts, read 920,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie28759 View Post
While I agree that Brevard and Transylvania County are wonderful areas, there is something else that you should make sure to look at before you "take the plunge" and buy. If you have a "view" you are going to be taxed on it! People I worked with that lived outside Brevard were taxed for the "view" from their property. When thinking about building on another section of their property, they found out that "view tax" would increase. Check out what the total property taxes are before committing.
Ahh Maggie, that's a good one.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie28759 View Post
Yearly taxes and neighborhood association dues are shown on most of the web sites I've looked at.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 AM

3,776 posts, read 3,779,972 times
One thing I disagree with in one of our fellow members comment. I don't consider Brevard as simply a "tourist town" or a "retirement town."
In fact I think Hendersonville, although bigger is much more of a tourist mecca and definitely more of a retirement town.

I think Brevard has a great mix of locals, retirees, and college student. It is a "real town" in my humble opinion. It is also a great outdoorsy town. I was also surprised at the conventience of the Asheville airport. In fact Brevard residence are closer to the airport than some residents in east Asheville.

I don't mind that Brevard doesn't have malls, discount malls, Kohls etc. In fact that is one of the things that attract me to it. They have a fantastic gear store that I can get clothing and athletic wear.
Asheville is plenty close if I find the need for a larger shopping experience! lol.
I also don't feel it is isolated as some have stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina