Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Booya,

I agree with everything you said. I've only driven the Main Street of Hendersonville one time. It was summer and the cars were bumper-to-bumper with tourists. I could see myself having fun there, but it just didn't feel like home to me.

Everyone has their own version of Shangri-La and that's a good thing, or else we'd all be living on top of each other.

Plus everything is relative. I have a HUGE drive to get to any sort of mall from Hiawassee, Ga. If I move to Brevard, I'd have Asheville in one direction and Greenville in the other. Both of them are much closer than what I have now.

The only way to live with a mall five minutes away is to live in a city. Been there, done that.

My current county only has about 10,000 people. Transylvania has about 30,000.

For me, a move to Brevard brings me more culture and civilization. For someone moving from a large city, it would bring them less.

It's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
In fact I think Hendersonville, although bigger is much more of a tourist mecca and definitely more of a retirement town.

I think Brevard has a great mix of locals, retirees, and college student.
My current town is divided between locals and more elderly retirees. We don't have very many newly retired people. People in their sixties would be young here!

This is one of the things that attracts us to Brevard - a mix of age groups. I've just arrived at age 52, and I'm not retired! Between the summer camps and the college, the families, locals, and retired, Brevard has a real mix of people running around.

And wouldn't it be a fun town for grandchildren to visit? Between O. P. Taylors, sliding rock, summer camps and all the outdoor activities, it would be a child's fantasy.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
How are you going to get to Greenville SC from Brevard? You have to either go Rt. 280E to get to I-26, or go 64 E to Crab Creek Rd. into Hendersonville which is very pretty, but a pain.

Yes Hendersonville seems to be more of a tourist attraction, and I love Brevard immensely, to visit, don't get me wrong. But the reason is Hendersonville is quick access to Asheville (20 mins.) and I-26 in either direction. Greenville downtown 45 mins. GSP airport 45 mins.(via the "shortcut" off Rt. 25) and Charlotte airport 2 hrs.

Have you been to Mills River or Etowah? Very nice, rural, homes tucked up in small developments. Worth checking it out.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Quilter,

We are not looking at anything in a development. We've zeroed in on a house, but the situation is unusual, so we'll see.

As far as how I'm going to get to Greenville, take out a map and look at where I am now (Hiawassee). I'm much worse off now.

Besides, I'll probably only want to go to Greenville a couple of times a year at most. I have a black belt in internet shopping.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Quilter,
We are not looking at anything in a development. We've zeroed in on a house, but the situation is unusual, so we'll see.
As far as how I'm going to get to Greenville, take out a map and look at where I am now (Hiawassee). I'm much worse off now.
Besides, I'll probably only want to go to Greenville a couple of times a year at most. I have a black belt in internet shopping.

I have the same Black Belt Shooting Stars!

I am familiar with Hiawassee, I use to go camping in N.W. Georgia-Black Rock Mountain. Love that area and the little town of Clayton. just not as much as Western N.C!
So you are looking to move from Hiawassee to N.C?

Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
How are you going to get to Greenville SC from Brevard? You have to either go Rt. 280E to get to I-26, or go 64 E to Crab Creek Rd. into Hendersonville which is very pretty, but a pain.

Yes Hendersonville seems to be more of a tourist attraction, and I love Brevard immensely, to visit, don't get me wrong. But the reason is Hendersonville is quick access to Asheville (20 mins.) and I-26 in either direction. Greenville downtown 45 mins. GSP airport 45 mins.(via the "shortcut" off Rt. 25) and Charlotte airport 2 hrs.

Have you been to Mills River or Etowah? Very nice, rural, homes tucked up in small developments. Worth checking it out.
I go on 276 to Greenville.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
[/u]
So you are looking to move from Hiawassee to N.C?
Yes, and the only thing I'll miss about Hiawassee is beautiful Lake Chatuge and the way you can see it all over town.

I was never sure that I was going to stay though.

I also lived in Marble, NC (outside of Murphy) for four years, but that was never going to be permanent.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
I go on 276 to Greenville.
You know, I thought that was a route. Thanks for the confirmation.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Yes, and the only thing I'll miss about Hiawassee is beautiful Lake Chatuge and the way you can see it all over town.
I was never sure that I was going to stay though.
I also lived in Marble, NC (outside of Murphy) for four years, but that was never going to be permanent.
Ok, I had a friend that was trying to convince me how great Murphy was but I had reservations. Besides it being less expensive than other areas I did not find it as appealing as other areas of WNC.
Do you mind sharing your take on the area? Thanks.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 PM

I have two takes on Murphy and they're right here on the forum. One is under Animal Control (it was dismal) and the other was where I answered someone who asked about Murphy - that thread may be on the next page.

Let me know if you don't find it.

Murphy is so far west, it was isolated longer than other towns and has taken longer to organize itself to be more inviting and longer for people to find it. It's not as organized as a community - you won't find all the established festivals other places have. It's sort of spread out.

I have some good memories because it was a quiet refuge for me at the time I moved there, but I really don't love the place. The downtown doesn't attract me, but it's gotten much better so I'm sure some people love it.

The altitude is significantly lower than any of the areas you're looking at - it gets pretty hot in summer compared to towns further east.

Murphy is no where on my list. LOL I always knew it wasn't ever going to be my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina