Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 07:19 AM

24 posts, read 27,475 times

Advertisements

we are from Syracuse ny and are looking to relocate somewhere in NC and are looking at different areas/options. we are both in our early 50s and will need to find jobs. i'm in the administrative field; my husband is in auto repair. a few things we would like to know about Ashville:
weather year round, traffic (is it very congested)?? we have been to Raleigh and absolutely hated capital blvd - just seemed the areas there were dangerous driving conditions. what is the comparison in Ashville? we are looking to move somewhere where there are a lot of things to do, nice weather, job opportunities - and if anyone knows how the driving is from 81 S to ashville - is it a terrible drive? like I said I am not a race car driver and am not an aggressive driver. thank you !!!

also, we will be looking in the 100-150 range for a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:25 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm102691 View Post
That budget won't get you much besides a condo in Asheville. The prices are among the highest in the state. However, you could find houses in that range outside the city.

The other issue is jobs. It is hard to find a decent-paying job in the mountains. However, I wish you well. Asheville is a truly beautiful place if you can support yourself.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:37 AM

474 posts, read 837,618 times
Yes, it's going to be hard to find a house in that price range in Asheville, but you might be able to find one just outside the city limits in Candler or Leicester if you look hard enough. I don't think you'd have too much trouble finding jobs in your particular fields with your years of experience. As for traffic (among other reasons) you need to visit during the summer and see what you think. Can be busy, but there usually aren't any slowdowns except maybe 5-10 minute ones during peak times. If you're thinking longterm, I think it will get worse though.

If you're looking in all of NC, think about Winston-Salem. Lots of things to do, not too far from the mountains, and you could find a fantastic house in your price range.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:32 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,502,969 times
I agree with Bilbono except that your real estate budget is completely unrealistic for the Asheville area. When I think of Ashevile.... very high = real estate; very low = jobs and wages. Also Asheville traffic is congested a lot of the time, especially for a city of its size.

The recommendation to consider Winston-Salem is excellent. Go to the Triad sub-forum and read a lot of the threads there. W-S a lot more accommodating with regard to real estate, jobs, and traffic. And it's easy to make day trips to various parts of the mountains such as Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk and SW Virginia.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm102691 View Post
we are from Syracuse ny and are looking to relocate somewhere in NC and are looking at different areas/options. we are both in our early 50s and will need to find jobs. i'm in the administrative field; my husband is in auto repair. a few things we would like to know about Ashville:
weather year round, traffic (is it very congested)?? we have been to Raleigh and absolutely hated capital blvd - just seemed the areas there were dangerous driving conditions. what is the comparison in Ashville? we are looking to move somewhere where there are a lot of things to do, nice weather, job opportunities - and if anyone knows how the driving is from 81 S to ashville - is it a terrible drive? like I said I am not a race car driver and am not an aggressive driver. thank you !!!

I would suggest you start by looking online at www.Realtor.com, enter your criteria, wants and needs, and specify the areas that posters above have suggested. A condo in Asheville for that price would even be very difficult to find, very. Determine what you can afford including property taxes, insurance, and so forth and zero in an area to visit first. After that, your priority is finding jobs.

Even in Hendersonville, 26 mi. south of downtown Asheville, your stated price range will be difficult unless you want to invest in a fixer-upper, or find a condo under let's say, $175K. This is a vast area ... #1 visit, #2 get a job once you've decided on an area. Do not buy w/o a job unless you're paying cash and have at least a year's living expenses as a backup.

PS: Yes, Asheville, and roads leading into downtown can be very congested, especially during tourist season. 81S is usually a decent drive, except once you get near Rt. 40 and Rt. 240, and Rt. 25 around Asheville. I think Rt. 25 has a traffic light at every block.

Best wishes.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 05-21-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina