Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,367,619 times

Advertisements

Forgot to mention - thank goodness finding a job isn't an issue. We have a business and work at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 PM

4,781 posts, read 10,538,214 times
We looked very hard at Brevard, back in '00, and liked the area a lot...

Still get over there for some music events and a couple of golf tracks
for inter-club play. The only less obvious point is the town, and much
of the surrounding plateau of "housing" is not "mountain" elevation:
it is 2200-2500 feet elevation, which is ~ Asheville and many other
western NC lower elevation areas. Works for many of you, but we
wanted cooler summers w/out days on end of A/C, and those elevations
do not provide for that.

Good town and area, however...
GL, mD

Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 PM

Motor David,

I did consider elevation. This summer has been so unusually HOT, that I kept saying I was going to move to a higher altitude, like Cashiers.

The weird thing is that most of the weather sites I checked all showed Brevard as being several degrees cooler in the summer than Asheville. But my favorite one, Intellicast, showed hardly any difference, as follows.

JUNE JULY AUGUST

79 82 80 Brevard
81 84 83 Asheville
80 83 82 Waynesville

The area of Transylvania County I'm looking at is outside the town limits at an elevation of 2,500 to 3,000. The Town of Brevard is at 2230. Yet Intellicast shows the area I'm considering as one degree warmer than the town!

I guess there's no way to know for sure until I find out the specific elevation of the specific neighborhood.

(I don't want to reveal where I'm looking at this point.)

That's the problem in the mountains - there are so many different elevations in a small area. I'll probably keep checking weather web sites. I don't understand why they contradict each other.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,512,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We looked very hard at Brevard, back in '00, and liked the area a lot...

Still get over there for some music events and a couple of golf tracks
for inter-club play. The only less obvious point is the town, and much
of the surrounding plateau of "housing" is not "mountain" elevation:
it is 2200-2500 feet elevation, which is ~ Asheville and many other
western NC lower elevation areas. Works for many of you, but we
wanted cooler summers w/out days on end of A/C, and those elevations
do not provide for that.

Good town and area, however...
GL, mD
Yes, that is one of the reasons I am drawn to Blowing Rock. So I see your location is Waynesville? Is Waynesville significantly cooler than Brevard? Do you feel you gain an advantage temperature wise in the summer by living there? Thanks.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 AM

4,781 posts, read 10,538,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Yes, that is one of the reasons I am drawn to Blowing Rock. So I see your location is Waynesville? Is Waynesville significantly cooler than Brevard? Do you feel you gain an advantage temperature wise in the summer by living there? Thanks.
Booya,
Waynesville "downtown", is ~ 2800 ft elevation, so it is slightly "higher", but similar to Brevard, et al, in that under 3,000 ft zone.

We live up on the ridge of Eagles Nest Mtn, looking down on Waynesville and, across the "valley" toward the Balsams, Mt Pisgah, the Canton Gap and Cold Mtn.

We are at just under 5,000 ft, so while we had the warmest, muggiest summer here in 9+ years, our high in the shade was 79; that's not to say
the house didn't get warmed up, and we ran our A/C more this summer than the past several summers combined.

So, not pitching Waynesville per se, and if one does not "like" the higher elevations surrounding many of the western NC towns, (as there are some detriments at this elevation, esp if one is still working), then the Waynesville vs Brevard vs ____, is academic, imo.

However, Waynesville and some other towns do offer lots of houses slightly "up" the mtns, in the 3500 ft range, which is almost a whole climate zone cooler than living at ~2500-2800 ft. All, Fwiw...
GL, mD

Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 AM

It's a tough decision. For summer, I'd LOVE to be at 3,500 elevation. But for winter? I know the Lake Toxaway area is higher elevation, but I'm not interested in anything available there that's at a decent price range (which isn't much).

Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,512,663 times
Thanks for the input. There all beautiful areas. Decisions decisons.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 PM

Default Clarification - At Last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
The area of Transylvania County I'm looking at is outside the town limits at an elevation of 2,500 to 3,000. The Town of Brevard is at 2230. Yet Intellicast shows the area I'm considering as one degree warmer than the town!
I finally confirmed that the area I'm looking at is a bit cooler and rainier than the town of Brevard itself. The elevation is 2500 to 3000, and from what I can gather it's probably on the higher end. 80 inches of rain per year.

The average high in July is 81 degrees, which is the hottest month of course. That's an improvement over where I am now.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 PM

532 posts, read 1,086,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I finally confirmed that the area I'm looking at is a bit cooler and rainier than the town of Brevard itself. The elevation is 2500 to 3000, and from what I can gather it's probably on the higher end. 80 inches of rain per year.

The average high in July is 81 degrees, which is the hottest month of course. That's an improvement over where I am now.
Where are you looking?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 PM

I'm afraid to say where in case someone else swoops down and snatches up the one place we're thinking about.

Haven't spoken to the owners yet.

SORRY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina