Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,362 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in NC in late October and I'm interested to go hiking somewhere along the Blue Ridge. I'm looking for a moderate hike with lots of great views to photograph
I know all hiking trails in the Blue Ridge are great, so I hope you can recommend your favorite one.
Nitsa - -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Go to the Craggy Dome overlook at mile marker 364.1 and park in the upper parking lot. The trail to the Craggy Pinnacle summit begins there. It is a fairly short, easy hike with many great photo opportunities at five or six different overlooks. Also, it goes through a tunnel of Catawba rhododendrons, which are very cool. Look for the old birch tree that is growing sideways, all twisted up from years of exposure to the elements at altitude. The summit is just over 6000 feet in elevation, and the views are spectacular.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
I like the Daniel Boone trail on the backside of Grandfather Mountain leading up to the Calloway Peak trail on Grandfather

Here's a link I found where it is described pretty well:

LocalHikes - Daniel Boone Scout Trail To Calloway Peak

Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,460 times
I love the Graveyard Fields hike and the story behind it! Also the Hike to Sam Knob Summit is a little tough but so worth the view - the hike at the bottom - Flat Laurel Creek is super easy and beautiful following this lovely creek around the bottom of Sam Knob. The parking is around 5,000 and the terrain in this area is like southern California - dry - no bugs - not so wet and damp like some of the Pisgah hikes.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,368 times
I second Sam Knob. Great, great 360 views!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,362 times
Thank you all! your advice is highly appreciated.
Now its a tough choice between Craggy Dome and Sam knob
Nitsa

Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 PM

172 posts, read 477,441 times
Sams Knob is Spectacular(make sure to take the Flat laurel Creek trail)...as well as Hemphill Bald
http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/HemphillBald_0000.asp

Old 10-14-2010, 06:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
I love the Graveyard Fields hike and the story behind it! Also the Hike to Sam Knob Summit is a little tough but so worth the view - the hike at the bottom - Flat Laurel Creek is super easy and beautiful following this lovely creek around the bottom of Sam Knob. The parking is around 5,000 and the terrain in this area is like southern California - dry - no bugs - not so wet and damp like some of the Pisgah hikes.
Can you make a loop out of the Sam Knob/Laurel Creek trail? I thought I read Sam Knob was an out-and-back trail?

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:49 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,460 times
When you leave the parking lot and head onto the Sam Knob Summit Trail - you are on level ground for about 1/2 mile - then you reach an intersection - Sam Knob to the right and Flat Laurel to the left - you do have to go up to Sam Knob Summit and then come all the way back down - but instead of heading back to the parking lot you just follow the Flat Laurel Trail which winds around and eventually takes you back to that parking area. So Flat Laurel is a loop with a detour up Sam Knob - does that make sense?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times
Isn't there a way to come down to Flat Laurel on the far side of the creek? That's not a very description, sorry. By far side, I mean the opposite side from the Flat Laurel Trail and you cross the creek. I did Little Sam for the first time a couple of weeks ago. That's a nice hike with a lot of views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina