Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,371 times

Advertisements

Please tell me about Candler. I am considering a property there and need to make a decision. Haven't lived in the area for many years. I love the proximity to Asheville and I need some acreage. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,922,506 times
The only thing I know about Candler is it's proximity to Canton, which has a paper mill. Depending on where you are in Candler, you may get some of the paper mill smell blowing your way. It's very variable. Some areas of Candler will get it and some areas won't get it. That is why I rejected consideration of some properties in the Candler area before I bought a house back there. I didn't want the chance of living with that horrible smell.

For example, I had reason to be staying in a hotel recently. I stayed in one across the street from the Biltmore Square Mall. It's off of 191 (Brevard Road) near Sardis Rd. I guess technically that's kinda' West Asheville, but that puts it even further away from the Canton paper mill than Candler. I smelled the paper mill in the morning.

The smell was not heavy at that distance, but it was there and it was objectionable. In some parts of Candler, it would have been worse. The affected parts of Candler were closer to the smell so it would have been stronger.

That's my only caution about some parts of Candler. Otherwise, there are some developed areas, rural areas, and junky areas just like any place. Be sure to look at what's around you to see if it's tolerable for you. I'm sure others will jump in with more thorough information.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,445,833 times
You can smell the paper mill almost anywhere in WNC if the conditions are right. A few weeks ago I could smell it from fairview. Granted, candler is most definitely worse, I don't think its all doom and gloom because of the mill.

I gotta say though, I hate when people come on here saying this. Go for yourself and find out if you like it. Spend a few weeks there, maybe even rent a short term rental out while trying to find a home. Random strangers cant make that decision for you!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I gotta say though, I hate when people come on here saying this.
I'm sorry you hate it but the truth is the truth, facts are facts and it's a significant issue for the area in spite of how some people may want to minimize it. It certainly affects the desirability of properties out there for some people. The OP came here asking for info and to withhold or deny it would be rather pollyannish and it would do them a disservice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Go for yourself and find out if you like it. Spend a few weeks there, maybe even rent a short term rental out while trying to find a home. Random strangers cant make that decision for you!
This is absolutely the best advice, although preperation is the key and then the opinions the OP gets can be accepted or rejected as they see fit. I certainly hope that they get some other opinions, especially from those that live out there, so that they can develop a better picture.

There's a couple other things I'd like to add for the OP after I had some time to think. These are a couple of issues I came across a few years back.

First, depending on where you're looking in Candler, you may find yourself using the Smokey Park Hwy for a lot of your trips in and out of the area. It parallels I40 just south of the interstate.

When I was considering the area, I found that I didn't care for the looks of the area along the side of Smokey Park Hwy. There was quite a bit of junky sections with run-down businesses. We're not talking old retail storefronts. It's more like run-down buildings with small operating businesses that keep old debris or junk piled up in too many visible areas. It may not be an issue for you. If so, just ignore what I said.

Second, if you'd be traveling on the main thoroughfares that also provide access to the Biltmore Lake development, traffic may be a concern for you in that area. They've rerouted one instersection with Sardis so the flow is improved, but the morning and evening drive-time traffic still remains. The road I'm referencing is Sand Hill Rd.

Last edited by garth; 10-06-2010 at 12:00 AM..

Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,371 times
Thanks for all replies. I'm grateful for any information. I have visited the property twice and did not notice any smell. I've received some feedback from other sources that the Candler area is one of the more drug and crime ridden areas surrounding Asheville. I realize it's all relative but I don't want to buy in an unsafe area. Renting will not work for me. I have several big, friendly, slobbery dogs.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:41 PM

Candler is kinda' a wide area. I don't know anything about drugs, but Candler offers all kinds of different environments. Some of those environments would be more prone to that kind of activity than other areas like the rural acerage that you're seeking. I would expect that, if there's a problem that would affect you, it's in certain areas like apartment complex or higher density neighborhoods that don't quite match what you're looking for. If you've got acreage, you probably won't know or care about neighbors smoking a doobie in their house a few acres away.

You can always run by the Buncombe County Sheriff's Department and ask them about drug or crime activity in the neighborhood that you're considering. I did it, and even talked to a few deputies on the street, and found each source to be very candid. It helped me a lot.

Good luck on your search. I know you're "big, firendly, slobbery dogs" will be happy in the country!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:04 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,445,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
I'm sorry you hate it but the truth is the truth, facts are facts and it's a significant issue for the area in spite of how some people may want to minimize it. It certainly affects the desirability of properties out there for some people. The OP came here asking for info and to withhold or deny it would be rather pollyannish and it would do them a disservice.

Uh.... I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant I hate when people come on here asking us to answer if they should move to somewhere in WNC or not. Thus the rest of the paragraph explaining they need to visit for themselves. Not that I hate people giving advice on the area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina