Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 AM

148 posts, read 550,234 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if the trees have started to change
I went to the web site But can not seem to find the information.
Looking forward to a nice ride through the Blueridge Mtns.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Yes

Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 AM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
We have a front warning for tonight and a cold front moving in which will drop daytime highs by about 10 degrees for the next week so things are going to happen very fast now. The birch tree in our yard just went from green to yellow almost overnight and maples in the Asheville area are really starting to pop as well.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:03 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I agree with Cofga on the almost overnight changes. And, with the heavy rain yesterday and the scheduled wind for later tonight, tomorrow and into Sat, the leaves will take a beating, at least at this, and higher altitudes.

Lots of micro climates and hard to generalize, but if one is looking at "color" in the higher elevations and more northern of the western counties, I would not wait and hope...I personally like the more bare, softer faded look in the weeks to come, but the tourists like the snap now and in the next week, imo.
GL, mD

Old 10-14-2010, 11:50 AM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times
motordavid nailed it - the wind and rain are hammering the leaves right now. The best time was Monday and Tuesday this week. The color changes have happened very quickly in the past week with first cool highs, then 3 days in the 80s, rain, and back to cool. My recent pics: Fall Colors 2010 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20166606@N07/sets/72157625023566821/ - broken link)

Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM

277 posts, read 687,867 times
Do you all really think the wind is going to sweep a lot of the leaves off the trees today and tomorrow? I went out fall color "peeping" last weekend but was hoping for one more good weekend . . .

(Obviously, nothing any of us can do to change the weather.)

The maples and birch trees have really changed colors considerably, I would definitely agree, almost overnight, it seemed.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:31 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb View Post
Do you all really think the wind is going to sweep a lot of the leaves off the trees today and tomorrow? I went out fall color "peeping" last weekend but was hoping for one more good weekend . . .

(Obviously, nothing any of us can do to change the weather.)

The maples and birch trees have really changed colors considerably, I would definitely agree, almost overnight, it seemed.
No expert and the timing is very hard to predict, but the "colors" we are seeing now are present all season; it's when the abscission layer that connects the leaf stem to the branch "shuts off", that the "hidden color" fueled by pigments, glucose and waste products allows the color to appear. It's that same "layer" on the stem that finally forms a tear line,
and the leaf is stripped from the tree branch...at our elevation, when the weather guessers talk of a windy day or two, we brace for 40-60 mph +.

Thus, I would predict considerable leaf strippage at many locations of the higher elevations.

But, don't despair: go out for a drive or hike and enjoy Autumn! There will be lots of leaves and color to view.
GL, mD

Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM

The most fun driving the BRP is not just stopping at the overlooks but having the colors of trees parallel the road .

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
And the worst part of driving the BRP is getting stuck behind people (usually with plates from the Peninsular State Just South of the State of Georgia) going literally 15 mph in a 45 mph zone! I understand a leisurely drive to look at stuff, but that's why the overlooks are there: to look at stuff! Please, at least go close to the speed limit. The BRP is a very well made road, perfectly banked and very fun if you enjoy carving corners in your car, and my car is pretty sporty, so that's what I like to do. I don't drive dangerously, but I do drive enthusiastically, and that is pretty much out of the question right now with all the leafers around.

But don't let my rant stop you from coming to see our wonderful Autumn. It's beautiful, and everyone should see it for themselves. Just please, eyes on the road, cellphone in the pocket, and go the speed limit. If you can manage that, you are more than welcome here!

Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 AM

Wait til you are in a straight away before passing a cyclist they are experiencing the parkway the best way; Less pollution on the fragile mountain tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina