U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM

1,420 posts, read 4,437,673 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting for 3 days, mostly to see fall foliage, photo opportunities and to visit Biltmore.

I also hope to fit in a visit to Chimney Rock.

Are there any Asheville restaurants, galleries, sights that are "musts"? I really want to visit the Arboretum, but I will do that next time.

As far as restaurants, I'm not looking for 5 star french gourmet cuisine, but an authentic, non chain local operation that has great food (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I'm a meat eater, love veggies, love pasta (but trying not to overdo that), and am not interested in Asian cuisine for purposes of this trip. I also don't drink beer, but I love wine.

As for the sights, I will spend a day at Biltmore (I could probably spend that much time just in the gardens). I don't want to be inundated with tourist attractions, although the food tour sure sounded good. But I can do that another time as well. Is Chimney Rock too touristy? Are there better alternatives for serene nature walks and photography?

What outdoor spots, accessible via the Parkway or side roads, are sure to offer fantastic nature scenes? I really like to avoid crowds which is why I am coming during the week vs weekend.

I'm sure you get this question all the time and are sick of answering it! But any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM

45,270 posts, read 85,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I'll be visiting for 3 days, mostly to see fall foliage, photo opportunities and to visit Biltmore.

I also hope to fit in a visit to Chimney Rock.

Are there any Asheville restaurants, galleries, sights that are "musts"? I really want to visit the Arboretum, but I will do that next time.

As far as restaurants, I'm not looking for 5 star french gourmet cuisine, but an authentic, non chain local operation that has great food (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I'm a meat eater, love veggies, love pasta (but trying not to overdo that), and am not interested in Asian cuisine for purposes of this trip. I also don't drink beer, but I love wine.

As for the sights, I will spend a day at Biltmore (I could probably spend that much time just in the gardens). I don't want to be inundated with tourist attractions, although the food tour sure sounded good. But I can do that another time as well. Is Chimney Rock too touristy? Are there better alternatives for serene nature walks and photography?

What outdoor spots, accessible via the Parkway or side roads, are sure to offer fantastic nature scenes? I really like to avoid crowds which is why I am coming during the week vs weekend.

I'm sure you get this question all the time and are sick of answering it! But any advice is appreciated!
didee, may I ask, where are you visiting the mountains from?

Also, visiting during the week is a GREAT idea, it will help you avoid any real crowds

Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM

1,420 posts, read 4,437,673 times
I'm driving over from the Triangle area. Thought I would do I-40 to Hwy 70? to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, then to Asheville. Then Biltmore. Then the BRP to Blowing Rock, then Hwy 329 back to I40 to home.

Maybe I should do it the opposite direction so I can do the BRP on the front end and leave the lower elevations another day or two to develop color? I wish I had more time. I would love to spend a week but I can only muster 3 or 4 days max. And since I hate crowds and long lines, the weekday itinerary results.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM

45,270 posts, read 85,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I'm driving over from the Triangle area. Thought I would do I-40 to Hwy 70? to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, then to Asheville. Then Biltmore. Then the BRP to Blowing Rock, then Hwy 329 back to I40 to home.

Maybe I should do it the opposite direction so I can do the BRP on the front end and leave the lower elevations another day or two to develop color? I wish I had more time. I would love to spend a week but I can only muster 3 or 4 days max. And since I hate crowds and long lines, the weekday itinerary results.
What I would consider is this...do I40 to 321, head north up to Blowing Rock. Enjoy the whole Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain, Linville Falls area - THEN head to Asheville. After you are done with Asheville you head to Chimney Rock last. When you are finished there you head up hwy 9 to I40 and then head home

Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM

36 posts, read 79,651 times
When I think "authentic Asheville non-chain restaurant with great food", I think Tupelo Honey. Asheville is blessed with many good restaurants, but we've found Tupelo Honey consistently good for meals any time of day, and for the varying tastes of all in our family.

For atmosphere, I'd definitely hit their downtown location; however, it is often packed with a long wait and parking can be a bit difficult. The south location is easy parking, attractive (just very new), and the food is every bit as excellent.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,433,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAngel View Post
When I think "authentic Asheville non-chain restaurant with great food", I think Tupelo Honey. Asheville is blessed with many good restaurants, but we've found Tupelo Honey consistently good for meals any time of day, and for the varying tastes of all in our family.

For atmosphere, I'd definitely hit their downtown location; however, it is often packed with a long wait and parking can be a bit difficult. The south location is easy parking, attractive (just very new), and the food is every bit as excellent.
I haven't been impressed with tupelo honey since it changed hands several years ago. I gave it several tries and the food was always mediocre and after an extremely rude waitress last time, have refused to go back.

Try less "main stream" places like village wayside in biltmore village, or early girl eatery downtown.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:16 AM

1,978 posts, read 3,103,270 times
^ Agreed about Tupelo Honey. Has gone down in quality big-time. Early Girl has similar food, way higher quality. BUT, if you come to Asheville, please please please eat at NINE MILE!!! It is by far my favorite restaurant in town, and I eat there at least once a week. I make the drive over from Oakley (which I will admit is only 10-15 minutes) on a regular basis to eat there. It is absolutely phenomenal! Also, the people who own the place and the people who work there are top notch, fantastic people. It is a very cool mixture of Caribbean food, pasta, and delicious fresh vegetables. My favorite is a dish with jerk marinara and alfredo, with chicken, squash, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, and pineapple. Seriously, you really should try the place. For dinner, the price is around $15 (for a salad and an entree), and you can get dishes that include really good trout as well. If you're vegetarian, they have plenty of offerings.

I swear I don't work for Nine Mile, but whenever someone asks for restaurant recommendations, it is always the first place I recommend. But one thing: if you don't like spicy, ask for mild! The medium and hot are quite spicy, more for pepper lovers. Just try it, you'll love it! It is on Montford Avenue, in the historic Montford neighborhood. When you see the convenience store at Montford and Cumberland, it is just past that.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:27 AM

648 posts, read 1,193,710 times
Nine Mile is great, Ship Of. We live in the Arden area and drive up there periodically to get "lit up." The food is quite tasty. We like it hot, but it is tasty either way.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 AM

467 posts, read 1,002,340 times
Mmmm. Food.

Places I think everyone should try while visiting Asheville: City Bakery, Early Girl Eatery, Sunny Point Cafe (west AVL), Nine Mile, Wasabi (though it's Japanese) Papas and Beer, and Nona Mia.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 AM

652 posts, read 2,015,530 times
I'll second NINE MILE!! We were there just a few days ago while on our real estate search trip. I wanted to go because my favorite vacation in the world is always going back to Negril Ja. I had to see if NINE MILE lived up to my expectations.
It's not exactly as authentic as what we ate while in Negril but I do have to say it was GREAT non the less and the next trip back in January you can be sure I'll go back again!!
Great food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina