Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:11 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
SS20TS,

WNC Hiker provided you with the truth.
No he didn't. He provided you with a loaded question dripping with prejudicial language. It's also called "stacking the deck". Gimme a break. It's like me asking you: "how many times have you beat your wife today?". It's a loaded question which presumes already that you beat your wife.

Here's what he said:

"Now, you tell me, how many people think that a big, poorly designed house perched on a cliff with all the trees cut down so everyone down below can see it is tasteful. It's just not. Plain and simple, it's not. I feel extremely confident that 9 out of 10 people would agree with that."

Ridiculous question. For starters, who says these are poorly designed? Is WNC Hiker an engineer or an architect? It's just his unsubstantiated opinion. You can't just build any old structure on the side of a mountain; these things have to be legally approved.

Furthermore, "tasteful", by definition, is a matter of pure subjectivity; no one opinion is more right than another. Further, the most obvious evidence for lots of people finding them tasteful is that they continue to build them, and folks continue to buy them. Somebody must like them!!

Quote:
At least WNC Hiker said he didn't personally have the "Keep Out" sentiment.
Yes, he did say that. Can't argue with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
A constantly increasing population puts all of us at odds, without any of the resulting benefits of an expansionist economy.
Now we're getting somewhere.

As long as the ideology of growth drives the world economy, and consequently the behavior of most of its inhabitants, the competition for the world's dwindling resources will only increase.

Why do you think the rich city folk want to escape to the peaceful mountains in the first place? They don't call it the "rat race" for nothing.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
At lest Quote the right person If your gonna keep Attacking...it was ShipOfFools42 that said that...

Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
In the good old days, common sense prevailed and no one practiced the ignorance and arrogance to bulldoze gashes in mountain sides, just for a house, causing ecological damage and just butt ugly eyesores.
Well, not really. In the "good old days", Asheville was a largely unknown little dot on the map that more folks disregarded than visited. But with exposure comes notoriety and popularity, and ultimately the desire of people with money to come and buy their views with total disregard for others or the environment.

And you can bet your arsse that when people come to an area with pockets full of cash, the developers (local and otherwise) will come out of the woodworks to take their cash in exchange for building their mountainside mansions.

If you come, they will build it.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
At lest Quote the right person If your gonna keep Attacking...it was ShipOfFools42 that said that...
That's true, but you were agreeing with him, right?

Relax man. I'm not attacking anyone . . . I'm just refuting these illogical arguments. Don't take it personally.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
That's true, but you were agreeing with him, right?

Relax man. I'm not attacking anyone . . . I'm just refuting these illogical arguments. Don't take it personally.
Me and Quite a Few others Agree, that these houses on mountain sides are eyesores....hell the houses can be there, just leave some trees to hide it....

As a Fellow Kayaker(I assume by your name) How would you Feel if your Favorite run had Views of houses around ever bend in the river?....and the Majority of these people were "Move ins/Part timers" you would start to feel a little Dislike for these people(in General) like Most of the Locals feel Towards them today...there are always good and bad on each side, there can be 100 good ones, for it to only take one bad one to ruin the majorities view of the other....just saying....these views arnt as "illogical" as you make them seem due to how the Human Mind works.....

Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Me and Quite a Few others Agree, that these houses on mountain sides are eyesores....hell the houses can be there, just leave some trees to hide it....
Ok, but now we've gone from "9 out of 10" to "quite a few others". And I would say that quite a few others (myself not included) do *not* find them to be eyesores. On the contrary; I think if you polled the average American off the steet, they would oohh and ahhh.

Quote:
As a Fellow Kayaker(I assume by your name) How would you Feel if your Favorite run had Views of houses around ever bend in the river?....and the Majority of these people were "Move ins/Part timers" you would start to feel a little Dislike for these people(in General) like Most of the Locals feel Towards them today...there are always good and bad on each side, there can be 100 good ones, for it to only take one bad one to ruin the majorities view of the other....just saying....these views arnt as "illogical" as you make them seem due to how the Human Mind works.....
Of course I would feel terrible; I sincerely hope they don't develop that stretch along the French Broad near Stackhouse. I've already said numerous times how I feel personally about these mountainside mansions (I think I've used the term "loathe" several times).

But it would irrational of me to start plastering "DON'T MOVE HERE" bumper stickers on my car and hold resentment against all people from NY, NJ, and FLA etc. because *some* of them behave like that. Even if *most* of them behave like that (which I don't think is a given).

Don't you see, this is exactly the kind of thinking from which racial stereotypes stem. It's the same kind of thought process.

So no, I disagree; I would not react as such.

Perhaps it is human nature to put people into boxes like that, but if so, we should resist the urge to engage in such thinking. I'm not perfect by any stretch, but I try to judge people on an individual basis, not on their accent, license plate, geographical heritage, skin color, or other random quality. And I think it behooves others to do the same.

Give someone the benefit of the doubt before lumping them into some box, as the latter is counterproductive and unfair.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 PM

I feel the Average American would would "oohh and ahhh" More on a trip through the GSMNP then that of towns with Houses all over the mountain Side....

Personaly I try to get to know every before passing judgment but the Average American will Profile people under just a few experiences....thats why Iv maintained that I Personally don't have a problem with people moving here(Other then the mountainside Development), unless they give me a reason to dislike them just like any other Local....But the AVERAGE person just isnt like that, That is what you have to understand....It would be just like someone from here going into LA, NYC, etc....buying and tearing down the Clubs and what not....the locals there would not like it and you would start to get the same message form them as you do the locals here.....

and come on "Quite a Few", and "9 out of 10" same thing....your nit picking....

Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Have you taken a scientific poll to prove your 9 out of 10 people agree with you?

I just spent the last week in Maggie Valley and Waynesville. I didn't get this huge sense of alllllllll of the people who live there hating the large homes being built. Most people were in fact very welcoming including folks from the South and my accent clearly is not Southern. I know several people who live there and have built homes there. They don't get that don't move here garbage from other people. They all work there. Some had vacation homes and moved their permanently. They pay their taxes. Their money is green just like yours.
NC Paddler,

Besides the fact that you quoted some lines that WNC Hiker never wrote, you didn't seem to grasp what I was responding to.

I was specifically answering the message above where the poster didn't seem to believe that a lot of locals feel resentment because none of them said anything directly to her or her friends.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I feel the Average American would would "oohh and ahhh" More on a trip through the GSMNP then that of towns with Houses all over the mountain Side....
Then we'll send the wrecking ball over to your house pronto so we can restore it to the pristine, wild place that it once was.

Repeating the same irrational arguments doesn't make them any more rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina