Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,087 times

Advertisements

Where is a good place to meet locals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
It depends on where exactly you are....Asheville, Haywood county, etc....

or what you like to do that could help with meeting locals with common interest...

I know here in Waynesville most the locals(my age early 20's) generally hang out at Wal-Mart and places like that if nothing is going on.....

Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
In Asheville, there are lots of bars and breweries where I have made lots of good friends. The Wedge on Riverside Drive is a great spot; there are no TVs or anything, so you kinda have to make conversation with people, or you'll just be sitting there bored. People are generally friendly there, although I have noticed a trend lately of it becoming much more of a yuppie hangout. At this point, my absolute FAVORITE place to go hang out and meet people is Pisgah Brewing in Black Mountain. Believe me, it is well worth the drive! Fantastic beer, fantastic atmosphere (bonfire at night and concerts often), and very kind, humble people. I have met a lot of great people at Pisgah.

If you're not into the bar/brewery scene, try doing some volunteer work. A friend of mine met his girlfriend while volunteering on a downtown clean-up one weekend. If you volunteer for things that you are interested in, chances are you will meet some like-minded people. There are always lots of groups that are more than happy to have you join them.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Dear GirlNew,
If you are living in the Asheville area, pick up the paper Mountain Xpress or check it out online, it has listings of millions of clubs of people with like interests, everything from yoga to photography to hiking, pick out a few and go to their meetings and activities, you'll make friends. Also, the same paper has all the events going on in the area, including dog walk-a-thons, outdoor music and plays, and horse shows at the Ag Center.
GG

Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 PM

467 posts, read 1,188,614 times
I'm with the find something in the Mountain Xpress. I've met a few nice people going to book readings/signings at Malaprop's dowtown. I volunteer with the Asheville Grown::Buy Local organization, and in turn became connected with a local shop that carries my handmade goods and holds monthly craft meet-ups. One thing leads to another once you get out there. Volunteering at Manna Food Bank on River Road is another favorite for me and my children.

I love Pisgah Brewery too! I don't drink but that doesn't keep me from going to photograph music shows and be in the company of awesome and friendly people. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina