U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM

96 posts, read 154,040 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience using chains for the roads...and if so have you found some you like. Most likely they will be for a Camry but may use them on my wifes RAV4.

Have to travel for my job and will be covering someone on maternity leave in Hayesville (from Asheville) about every other day over the winter and just want to make sure I am prepared. Not looking forward to traveling the Appalachian Highway in the winter. Had a fun year traveling last year with all that snow . Even had to pay a very nice ex-con with a box of steaks to drag my tiny Altima with bald tires down from Cashiers to Brevard last year....a nice 5 hour trip.

Would prefer to use snow tires but moved to an apartment at the moment and don't have a place to store tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM

2,561 posts, read 3,304,272 times
Tire cables are easier to use than "chains"...and, all made for fairly low speed driving, (25-30 mph), which is fine until you get up and out of the situation and need to drive on the usually clear highways. Then, it's pull over and take them off. We, and a few of our neighbors have a set, but they are not fun to put on/take off and really only for severe inclines/descents in seriousazz weather. The cable sets tend to be pretty specific in size, so they may not be swappable between your two cars.

I would rec'd a good set of dedicated winter tires, if you or you wife need to get out everyday, and travel some distance. No room in the apt? Store your summer "bald ones" at a friend, or ask the local tire joint if they will store them for a nominal fee.

Some "chain" info:
Car Tire Chains and Snow Chains

And, TireRack is a good place for a reasonably priced set
of dedicated winter tires, in my experience.

GL, mD

Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,934,688 times
I'm buying a set of tire chains soon, as I have a friend who lives on a mountain at high elevation with a really twisty switchback road leading to his house. I drive a front-wheel-drive Honda Accord (4 cyl 5 speed manual), so I am not taking the chance of losing traction halfway up that road. It would be a very bad situation. The reality of it is, in WNC the problem is ice and steep hills. And the cable chains are the worst type of "chains" for ice traction. The ones I'm getting are called diamond link, and you can get them from Tire Chains by TireChains.com at a good price ($60 a pair). They are extremely nice especially for the fact that you don't need to drape them over the tire and then move the car forward. You just put them on and drive forward a bit, retighten them, and you're good to go. They are approved for "highway use" as well, although the maximum speed is 30 mph. Still, if the conditions are bad, you don't need to be driving above 30. And since the diamond link chains are so easy to install and remove, they're just the best to have. That's what I'm going with myself.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 PM

96 posts, read 154,040 times
thanks for the info....yeah I was just looking at some diamond ones on Amazon

Amazon.com: Thule 12mm CB12 High Quality Passenger Car Snow Chain, Size 100 (Sold in pairs): Automotive

They will be more for coming down the mountain if the snow/ice kicks in. It's a 16 hour day when I go there in good weather so not looking forward to the bad. The highway there from Hayesville to Silva has a section of about 9 miles where you only have to tap the accelerator 2 to 3 times for a few seconds. Other than that it's just downhill.....and not a place I want to lose traction.

Last year coming down from Cashiers I got stopped for a car that drove off the side (25 foot drop)....and a CAT was out there with 4 foot tires and chains....I was out walking around and the driver looked at me and said..."Is that your car" (pointing at my bald tired altima....to which I replied "Yes"....then he kindly replied.... "Stupid F'er".........so trying to not be so unprepared this year

Just one of the bad parts of being a floater pharmacist.....

Old 10-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Those look awesome! Self-tightening makes them one notch better than the ones I was going to get. I will definitely be purchasing a set of those Thule ones in the next month or so. Like I said, I have friends who live on very treacherous roads, and my road is a fairly steep hill as well, so these will definitely come in handy. The way I see it, there's no good reason NOT to have a set of chains.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 AM

677 posts, read 921,563 times
A good set of All Season radials (not the cheap ones) is all you need. I lived in WNC for 25 years and never hAD THE NEED FOR CHAINS. I drove 25 miles every day no matter the weather. I have an 02 Chrysler Limited. The only time was the blizzard in the late 90's and nothing moved then.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:07 AM

^ I do believe you, and I respect your position, but when great quality chains are affordable, and I have friends who live on treacherous roads, I see no reason not to buy chains. I don't drive a 4WD anymore, so I am not taking the chance of losing traction halfway up the hill and sliding off a ~200 foot drop. No thanks. And you didn't mention the model of your Chrysler. They make several different models in "Limited". Like I've said, I learned to drive in Massachusetts, and I am very confident in my driving abilities, but for those times when the conditions are really bad, chains provide peace of mind, and you can't put a price on that. On some of the roads I drive, traction could be a life or death matter, and I will choose life.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:58 PM

677 posts, read 921,563 times
concorde

Old 11-06-2010, 12:53 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,784,294 times
Chains are only for the back roads, once you hit the main road, it will be scrapped and chains only dangerous (less traction than good tires) slow you down, chew up asphalt and wear-out quickly.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 AM

^ Oh definitely. I won't be using the chains on main roads - no need really. The main reason I bought them is that I have friends who live ON a mountain out in Leicester, and their road is really treacherous. I visit them two to three times a week, so I need to be able to get up and down their road. They are two of my best friends in the world, and I won't just cut off going to see them just because of some snow. As soon as I get off of their one-lane road and down to the main roads, the chains will come off. Also, I know other people who live on similar roads, and the chains should definitely come in handy. If not, I will have them forever, so it won't be a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina