U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 13,478 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever considered or heard of an RV commune in WNC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 PM

4,116 posts, read 7,604,017 times
What do you mean by "commune"?

There are 2 RV parks in Maggie Valley/Jonathan Creek area, just north of
Waynesville, NC, on US 276 about 5 mins south of I-40. One is quite large, the other is smaller.
They offer RV parking by night, week, month I think. Both are clean, well set up, etc.,
I've been told.
GL, mD

Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Default RV Communes in WNC

"Commune" perhaps is not the right word but a concept we heard about while we were traveling in Colorado. As more retirees are living full time in their RV's it was discussed that they do not always like the RV parks and resorts as spaces are very close and would prefer more of a permanent setting with open space when they are not traveling and yet have a community feeling like a neighborhood. If a few people were interested in raising farm animals, horses or having a garden they could share the responsibility. Then of course you could have the best of both worlds and travel when you want.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 PM

426 posts, read 894,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassai View Post
"Commune" perhaps is not the right word but a concept we heard about while we were traveling in Colorado. As more retirees are living full time in their RV's it was discussed that they do not always like the RV parks and resorts as spaces are very close and would prefer more of a permanent setting with open space when they are not traveling and yet have a community feeling like a neighborhood. If a few people were interested in raising farm animals, horses or having a garden they could share the responsibility. Then of course you could have the best of both worlds and travel when you want.

Some RV Parks sell "deeded" lots for those RV'ers that desire a more "Permanent" location.............. is that what you are looking for? There are also RV Parks with "Park Models"......which are owned. These might be something you want to look into. Donna

Old 10-30-2010, 02:31 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,207,294 times
Maybe the OP is looking for an "intentional community" that allows RVs.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Default rv commune

Your right that the RV communities do deeded lots and are expensive and beautiful. This is more of an informal approach. Instead of a space of concrete and someone next to you it would be more space/acreage and not everyone next to each other. The only shared space would be a garden and/or animals. Depends on ones interest. A tight knit community with respect for each other's space.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 PM

5 posts, read 11,059 times
This was a thread from almost a year ago but I'm glad to see that the thought has crossed other peoples' minds. Having lived in rural communes in the NW throughout the 70's and living as a full time RV-er for more than a decade, I've envisioned the best of both worlds. Without a wealthy benefactor it would have to be a commercial endeavor with paying tenants, landlord's rules, etc. I worked at a private rv resort that was purchased by an individual to be shared with his friends in the Mt Hood area. Don't know what became of the project. 1000 Trails has been good for me but it requires mobility.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
I did some research to see if I could find anything even similar to what you are talking about, brassai, and so far, have not found it.

There WAS a spot that would have possibly interested you - Linville Land Harbor. It started out to be a place where folks could buy a little land, put a small accessory home on it that more or less "hooked up" the RV to the house. I believe it was first designed in the 70s, b/c I visited folks there (friends f/ college) - and toured the area. I went back many times in the 80s. The land was always so beautiful but the development struggled off and on, for many years. At one point, small homes w/ RV access, on cute lots, were available for as low as $25K.

It appeared the concept was "before its time." The houses often had very high "carport type" structures where you could pull your RV under - and then step out from your RV right into another part of the house - usually equipped w/ a kitchen, bathroom, living area and sometimes, additional bedrooms. People could landscape their lot - and there were several sizes of lots, some with streams, some with other outbuildings . . . They were done very nicely and I thought it was a terrific idea. There were some central structures, I believe - such as a clubhouse, and I think a picnic area - so folks could mingle w/ others.

However, over time . . . it became hard to re-sell the homes (or so I was told - and indeed, many were on the market) b/c folks who were interested in the price range and the lovely neighborhood did not need the high carports, so ended up tearing them off, expanding the houses, or they simply bought elsewhere.

I have not visited there since the 90s - have only seen online info lately. It appears the area has really developed beautifully, w/ a golf course, clubhouse, etc. I looked thru/ the website today, and couldn't see any reference at all to RVs, and didn't see any homes that look like the structures I saw in the 70s (no doubt, remodeled).

It appears to me that the concept was just before its time, as surveys suggest a lot of Boomers are mobile, many have RVs and would like a central spot to call home but would like to be on the move (or in a different location) for at least part of the year. Seems to me that it is the perfect time to offer a reasonable cost "demi-home" or "mini-home" where folks could pull their RVs, put a storage building on, have continual access to electricity and sewer, maybe a wood stove for heat in the winter, and some central gathering areas - would be very sought after.

Sadly, I just can't find any out there in western NC, but I will keep looking.

ETA: here is the link for Land Harbor - I guess it is possible they may still have some of those structures first built in the 70s . . . ??? But it looks a lot more expensive to buy there than it was in the past (since all the changes to types of property).

http://www.linvillelandharbor.com/

Last edited by brokensky; 09-03-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 09-03-2011, 06:06 PM

3,492 posts, read 3,097,871 times
Mountain Rivers Edge RV Resort in Murphy, sells lots. Very nice RV resort! However, not an RV port home community.

I know of RV port home communities in FL, TN and TX. We own a lot in FL in one, and looked at TN and TX as well. They really are great for those who full-time or want to keep their RV with them. We originally were going to build a small RV port home on ours in FL, but circumstances changed, but hopefully we'll build an RV pad just for the motorhome some day...

Best of luck finding your RV dream location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or