U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 AM

7,943 posts, read 10,318,206 times
Is there one of those "Troubleshooter" TV news or newspaper features in your neighborhood? You could take some video of the dogs and send it to them--they seemt o love that kind of thing. They can usually put a fire under the proper law enforcement.

I am very sorry for you, but also very sorry for the dogs who are tied up all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM

12 posts, read 14,279 times
Thank you all for your good suggestions. Here is a little more background.

I live in a rural part of the county, there are no other close residents I can appeal to for setting up a united front. Everyone out here has at least one dog of their own. But there is a big difference between having dogs 50 feet from your window, and 300 yards away through the woods. No one wants to get involved. One neighbor I spoke with had just 6 words for me: "It was me, I'd shoot 'em". That's the mindset out here.

These "neighbors" with the dogs-(I need to think of a better word, neighbor implies a folksy relationship) - They do own the property so there is no landlord to contact. They have close to 5 acres, so locating the dogs in such close proximity to my house seems to be nothing less than being deliberately provocative.

Yes, Buncombe County Animal Control does have jurisdiction here. I have pestered the officer assigned the this area quite a bit. They are shortstaffed, and he does have to cover a large part of the county. By now, I practically know the ordinances by heart, there are clear violations, the officer even admitted this to me. What no one can answer for me is why they refuse to write citations?

Way back in August I received what is known as a "bark packet" from Animal Control. You have to document how often the dogs bark for about 2 weeks, then go through a long convoluted process involving mediation, supervisors, review panels, the magistrate, etc. What no one tells you is how long all this takes. I have finally been give a court date - not until January! Seems they want you to be certifiably insane by the time the smoke clears.

From all I have read on the internet, noise ordinance violations are very unpopular with the powers-that-be. Animal Control, Deputies, and Judges all hate them, and hate you for bringing them, and believe it to be something you should work out for yourself, or through mediation. In fact, this is the attitude I have been confronted with throughout this whole nightmare. There are lots of stories I've read about people who have been enduring situations like mine FOR YEARS.

I am currently sending another barrage of letters to everyone - County Commish's, Sheriff Dept., AC Director, even local tv station. I have already written to all these people and received no response from anyone, except for a brief e-mail from one the the Commissioner, who said she was sorry to hear about my situation, and would forward my letter to the Sheriff. I have even included links to my You-Tube videos showing the dogs barking their heads off day and night.

I am just totally out of ideas. Yes, it's great I finally have my court date, but I still think that in the meantime if citations could be issued NOW (well, they are in fact breaking the law), it would go a long way towards encouraging compliance.

Thanks, all…..it helps to vent.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,627,968 times
I'm sorry. It seems like you really have done everything possible. The only thing I would do if you haven't already, is make sure those letters are certified, then you at least know they got them.

I hate people like that because it gives all dog owners a bad rep on top of not being fair to the dogs. People are dumb and inconsiderate sometimes. I'll keep my fingers crossed that something works out for you!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM

2,962 posts, read 2,308,074 times
Finfan,

When we lived in Marble, NC, which is just outside of Murphy, we had kittens and three puppies dumped off on our property. Then a Pit Bull showed up because his owner didn't take care of him and he ended up attacking one of the puppies and nearly killed it. Someone at City Hall told me to shoot him.

We had a pack of stray dogs that used to kill livestock. We had a neighbor who let his two horses get down to skin and bones and when someone asked if they could take his horses (to rescue them), he said he didn't care if they shot them.

We ran into a lady at Wal-Mart buying dog food because people kept dumping dogs on her property. She couldn't get any help in the matter at all.

I thought I had moved to a third-world country. That was really the biggest culture shock I went through - the way animals are treated.

Some of the places in the mountains were isolated for so long that the "do it yourself" mentality prevails. Also the "don't interfere with me" mentality is strong.

When I lived there, the county had a bad relationship with the Humane Society and even cut off funding to them for a while. They not only didn't support them; they were very hostile toward them.

Even here in north Georgia, locals don't seem to get the concept of how animal rescue works. They get mad if local volunteer groups can't take their unwanted animals because they are already overflowing. And they get mad if they have to pay a fee to adopt or surrender a dog or cat at the Humane Society. They think spaying/neutering and shots shouldn't cost much. And they never see that THEY have created the problem by overwhelming the shelters because they won't spay/neuter their own pets.

They want the right to be irresponsible and still demand instant gratification from the shelters and volunteers. And they complain about newcomers, yet most of the volunteers are newcomers!

And when people make a plea for animal welfare, many locals will immediately accuse them of loving animals more than people. It's amazing how a good thing gets turned into a bad thing.

Yeah, I'm bitter, but I've earned it by being involved with a rescue group for the last few years. It's impossible not to be disgusted.

Animal control and welfare is at least forty years behind the times in some places in the mountains. There has been a little progress, but they haven't caught up to the year 1970 yet.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,627,968 times
Shootingstars, I work with a dog rescue too and couldn't agree more. Bear hunters are especially bad around here because a lot of people abuse their hunting dogs but law enforcement turns the other way with the "its our culture" attitude. And again, it gives the responsible hunters a bad rep which isn't fair to them.

Growing up here, I had friends parents who mistreated their animals, but you were just suppose to look the other way because it wasn't proper to report people....most likely, these kids went on to continue the cycle as adults.

This is the one thing about the mountains I wish would change, but with such small animal control and humane society budgets I don't see it happening anytime soon. Even with the new animal abuse laws they have to actually be enforced by to work and lets face it, its not going to happen on a large scale around here. I really believe this quote couldn't be truer either, "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Ghandi.

Just look at the OP as an example, she can't even get them to help her.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:56 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,950,772 times
to me, born and raised in Germany, it is absolutely heartbreaking, how animals are being treated ANYWHERE in the US .
It seems, animals have no rights at all in this country, 3-4 millions of cats and dog are being put down each year - that's just unbelievable.

the situations, you guys posted here could have happened anywhere (just the more rural you go, the bigger and more the animals get ....)

we live in a 8000+ town in Delaware, suburbian, more cookie cutter than rural, and I had to call AC several times.
worst example is my next door neighbor, who has his dog on a chain, chain is fixed to the garage ceiling, and if the dog moves to much, the chain it getting twisted and the dog literally hangs in the air on his back paws
garage door is usually closed, NO window, summer and winter, and whenever they leave for a long weekend, nobody will talk to him for 3 days.
he poops in there and the hose it down every two weeks or so.
I asked them, why the dog would have to stay outside .. they said, well, because he is not housebroken .. didn't know, that's a feature a dog already has

since animal control came and talked to them, they sometimes had the door open a little ... but after 10 days or so they went back to (their) normal and the door is closed.

I offered them several times to take the dog a friend, who runs a rescue group on a huge farm ... but they always tell me, they 'haven't decided yet'. this is going on for years and I just wish, AB would check back on a regular base.
down part: if they take the dog away and he is unlucky, he will be put down after 5 days - but isn't this even the better solution for this poor thing ?

He is quiet, when the garage door is closed - he barks like crazy, when the door is open (even after 12am, which is against the law here).
I called the police, the owners did not open, police went away and the barking continued .... horrible.

when I walk my dog 3,4 times a day, we were being attacked by lose dogs or dogs, who jump over the fences, several times. SO many people don't give their animals the opportunity to socialize at all and are surprised, who aggressive they act, when someone approaches.
I can't let my kids walk our dog, since it is just too dangerous. something goes totally wrong here.

sorry for this looong post and not really being helpful, but it simply breaks my heart, how humans treat other creatures and in what kind of hell so many animals have to live, until they finally leave this hell and can go over the bridge ....

when we were looking for a building lot in WNC, we would have loved an open use lot, a couple of acres, not too many neighbors ... but what the OP posted was exactly what we were afraid of ... next thing is, I hate guns and the recommendation, just to shoot them is just horrible and shows the inside of these people.

but, as angry candy wrote, even in neighborhoods WITHIN city limits there is a good chance, you are unlucky and will get a neighbor, who simply does not care about you - and his animals.

I think you are doing a very good job with documentation and so one ... but just don't think, there is enough support through animal control and police ... good luck with everything !

PS .. and the next thing ... they might take THESE dogs away ... but 2 weeks later these people will have new ones .. as nothing would have happened - their should be file for this criminals and they should never be allowed again to own an animal.
in germany we have animal-protection laws - and people, who take care of that and check on violations on a regular base.

sorry again for this long speech - I really LOVE living in the states, but things like this need SO much improvement

Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM

458 posts, read 595,960 times
Not sure if this applies, or would be of any backing to your situation, but have you contacted ChainFree Asheville about this situation?

A friend of mine volunteers with them, and she was who I vented/bounced ideas off of when I was going through my bad neighbor drama... given the fact that said bad neighbor initially tried to play the "Well, I have no control of my dogs slipping out of the backyard fence" card.

From what I understand, they're strict about dog tethering.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,950,772 times
funny, I just came across this site this morning, when I googled for restaurant-chain free asheville

chain free .... seems to be a good thing in many ways

Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 AM

458 posts, read 595,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
chain free .... seems to be a good thing in many ways
I agree.

The two things I know about ChainFree Asheville (in regards to dogs) are: They're there to offer aid in keeping dogs from being tethered 24-7. They also offer services ranging from little payment to free service (for an enclosure) to ensure dogs have a safe and secure environment to live in. That means a mostly tether-free existence and a quality fence to protect them from harm.

My friend who volunteers with them was ready to come over to my neighbor's home to fix their fence for free - because dog owners couldn't afford it. But... that was until the truth came out that their dogs just roamed free, by owner's choice.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM

2,962 posts, read 2,308,074 times
I wish I had more time to reply, but I'm just too busy today.

Listen, there are some points of view that locals have where I support them. But this is an issue that HAS to change because there is no room to excuse cruelty.

And it will change because of people getting involved. Don't ever tell yourself it can't change. It has to.

If I could only change one thing, this would be it. We have to apply more pressure and more education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina