U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 20,411 times
Default Any Asheville City Neighborhoods above 3000 ft?

We are just looking at Asheville as a potential summer getaway. My husband and I are interested in cool summer days and city lights at night. I understand that we need to be above 3000 ft.

Are there any neighborhoods in or around Asheville that are at a minimum 3000 ft in elevation as well as city lights at night?

I would like to narrow down my real estate search if I can. Thanks for some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:31 PM

And to clarify in case there were additional questions before anyone could help us, we are just asking what Asheville neighborhoods would work with these two requirements and there may not be any. Schools are not a consideration (just a summer home), neighborhood avg cost is variable (the cheaper the better, of course, but under $600,000 would be good), and to be honest, my husband is not a Boy Scout so that is another reason to stay close to Asheville.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:42 AM

765 posts, read 1,389,428 times
Most of Asheville is at about 2100' and even Town Mtn peaks out at around 2500'. THere are a lot of houses up on Town Mtn Rd that might fit your bill for proximity and night lights but you're going to hav to settle for under 3000'. If you go further north on Town Mtn Rd you'll eventually hit 3000' but that will put you well outside Asheville proper and get you over near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Download Google Earth and take a visual tour of the terrain

Old 11-14-2010, 10:13 AM

Thank you so much for responding. Your answer was certainly helpful. As you can see, we are interested in the mountains without becoming mountaineers! Are there any other close-by communities to Asheville that might work with city lights and 3000 ft that you could recommend?

We have heard about Cashiers and Highlands but I can't get my husband interested in those more rustic locations. I could probably get him about 15 minutes' drive out of Asheville proper!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM

765 posts, read 1,389,428 times
Well, 15 minutes covers a lot of territory in Asheville. I live north of town right on the Weaverville line and can be downtown at Pack Square in 10 minutes and all the way around to the Biltmore entrance on the south side of town in 20 min. There are some mountainside developments on Reynolds Mtn in Woodfin on the northern border with Asheville but those houses are on steep slopes and look ready to slide down the hill. As my wife will tell you the real problem with getting up high is you have to take the skinny and steep mtn roads to get there--that's why I don't live up there! We looked at one house up Haw Creek in Sondley Estates but it was 1.25 acres on about a 60 degree slope making it worthless--we wanted a yard to garden in. Consequently we didn't spend much time looking at mountaintop locations.

There are a couple other issues to be concerned with in the mountains. Make sure you're not on too steep a road for the fire dept to get a truck to you. They also don't like to go down roads that are too narrow to turn their trucks. One crew lost a truck last year when a brush fire over ran it before they could get it out.

A good realtor should be able to find you some listings that meet your desires but make sure to stick around after dark to to confirm the view

Old 11-14-2010, 01:18 PM

5,264 posts, read 4,546,538 times
Try High Vista Estates, or the Cliffs at Walnut Cove off Rt. 191 on the way to Asheville. You can see plenty of lights from either of those places. Or Fleetwood Estates in Laurel Park, Hendersonville and/or Carriage Park in Hendersonville. You don't have to be IN Asheville to see Asheville.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,731,968 times
Cofga is right on the money, as always. The problem with living on mountains at high altitudes is the roads. When the winter comes (and it comes earlier up there, believe me), those roads will get icy and extremely treacherous. You will need a 4WD or some chains to get up to your house in the winter. Now, you said it's just a summer house, so maybe that won't be an issue, but I bet you'll fall in love with the place and want to come spend Christmas here sometimes or you might even sell your old house and move here! In that case, you want to make sure you're on a road that is drivable in the winter, and where the utilities like trash pickup and emergency services can get to you. My friends live ON a mountain in Leicester, and they take their own trash to the dump in their truck twice a month. It's not exactly what I would call fun, but they are more than willing to do it in order to live up there. And I would be too.

You say you want mountains but don't want to become mountaineers. What do you mean by that? Because if you mean you want mountains but don't want to have to deal with the difficulties of living in the mountains, well, I don't know what to tell you. Living in the mountains is very different than living in the flatlands, and it takes some getting used to. I would take a close and careful look at what it is that you're looking for before you take the plunge on the Southern Appalachians. There are much more vacation-home-friendly mountain areas that are much closer to you (I am assuming to live in Los Angeles, but I guess that could mean Louisiana too). Places out in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, all of them have some spectacular mountain views without having to live IN the mountains. Here, the terrain is mountainous pretty much everywhere, with the flattest area being the valley that Asheville sits in. And even in Asheville, there are a lot of very steep hills and curvy roads.

The last thing I will say is about the weather. You need to be prepared for less sunny days than where you're coming from, whether it's Los Angeles or Louisiana or even somewhere else. We get a lot of cloudy days here, even in the summer. I would say the Fall is probably the least cloudy season, and I know it's the driest. Summer time here is humid, and this past summer we had afternoon thunderstorms nearly every day for several weeks. If you're only going to be here in the summer, then that's what you should think about: the humidity. It may be in the mountains, but it's still the South, and it's humid here. At higher elevations it's definitely better, but then you have the problems I listed in the paragraph above.

Good luck to you on finding your place.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:44 PM

170 posts, read 197,438 times
To be very honest with you, it will be very very hard to find anything Above 3000' that is in a neighborhood environment......i live in a neighborhood just outside of Waynesville and we don't even have street lights, and our roads are always unplowed and unsalted in the winter as well and I live well below 3000' .....hard to live in the Mountains without becoming a Mountaineer.....

Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I married a Yankee and he is not good with "roughing it" so that is what I meant by not being mountaineers. He wants his internet access and his cable TV (with FoxNews and the Soccer Channel) and to enjoy the view out the windows. We want to be able to drive to our vacation home within 12 hours so that puts Asheville in the circle.

We currently live in God-forsaken South Florida (and I am a Mississippi girl) so you can surely understand my desire to get back to the cooler weather, woods, hills and friendlier folks! There are a couple of properties up on Town Mountain and Sunset Mountain that we will look at when we visit at Xmas.

I think, like marriage, we will have to compromise -- I want, at a minimum, the illusion of being in mountains (by being on the outshirts of Asheville at at high an elevation as possible without seeing my neighbor next door) and my husband gets to keep his sanity by not actually being in the woods.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 AM

45 posts, read 59,772 times
Arden area . I work in a community 10 minutes from Asheville that peaks around 3300' . I do the snow removal there so I know you will be able to get out if you come up for winter . You can see Pisgah Mountain , Southern Highlands , and foothills of South Carolina with 360 degree views . The developer / planner built a couple of picnic - viewing areas in the community for sightseeing . Constant breeze of about 5-10 mph and very nice neighbors ( I work for several of them ) and quite a few are part time residents . Good luck with your search !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina