Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 79,800 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on driving from Palm Beach FL to the closest snow destination. I've heard NC is the best place to go. I'd like some suggestions on the easiest route, kids-friendly snowy areas and lodging. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
Tony's Tube world(I think thats the name of it) in Maggie Valley seems to be a decent sized attraction....one big Hill kids can sled/ride down in rubber tubes....

when do you Plan on Coming?.....Mid to Late December through February is the best time for Snow id say.....

Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begemot View Post
I'm planning on driving from Palm Beach FL to the closest snow destination. I've heard NC is the best place to go. I'd like some suggestions on the easiest route, kids-friendly snowy areas and lodging. Thanks!
The only place in NC you're gauraneteed to see snow in NC is at the highest elevations, which are usually in the wilderness, not in any place you can actually drive to

HOWEVER, starting Thanksgiving week most of the ski slopes will begin making snow. Plan to head to one of those and you'll be sure not to disappoint your kids. Beech Mt is at some of the highest elevation in the state, so look at traveling there

http://www.skibeech.com/

Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM

45 posts, read 158,372 times
http://www.skiwolfridgenc.com/

Here's another link

Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begemot View Post
I'm planning on driving from Palm Beach FL to the closest snow destination. I've heard NC is the best place to go.
Best compared to what?!? You do know that NC is a Southern state? The farther north you go, the likelihood increases greatly. We go a whole winter sometimes with no snow in most of the state. People move to NC to get away from snow!

I would say the mountains of Virginia or even West Virginia. NC might be the closest place with mountains that sometimes get snow, but it's not as if they are covered with snow all (or even most of) the winter. A lot of the ski slopes in NC make fake snow. If I were planning a trip somewhere based on finding snow, I'd go a bit farther north, for sure.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
^ OP said they want to go to the closest snow destination. Of course, I wouldn't consider NC (even WNC) to be a "snow destination", really. It's just a place where it snows sometimes. You would be better off getting yourself a plane ticket to Vermont. That is the most picturesque "snow destination" I can think of, really. Flying to Boston and renting a car for a week would be a bit more expensive, sure, but it would be much more worth your time and money than driving up to WNC. Here, it's just bitter, windy cold, lots of bare trees, and snow if you're lucky. If you want to see a "winter wonderland" with gorgeous mountains, forests, two-lane roads, farms, rolling pastures, all in a state where billboards on the roadside are illegal, Vermont is the spot. It's truly the best place on the East Coast to go for a winter vacation. You can go to maple sugaring places, go ride snowmachines, skiing, snowshoe hiking, lots of art, bed and breakfasts, just everything you imagine when you think of a winter vacation. I can't say enough good things about Vermont - as a state to vacation in, that is. Living there, well, that's another story for another day.

But yeah, that's my recommendation. I know it might not be what you were looking for, but I promise you will get a lot more out of a winter trip if you go there than here. This town REALLY shuts down in the winter, and it's just bitter cold with no snow. That's the reason I want to go north one day; they get very similar temperatures, but WAY more snow. We kinda get screwed in that way: we get all the cold, but none of the snow of northern locations. You factor in the wind coming off the mountains when the air temp. is 15-20F at night, believe me, it's colder than you would think. And this is coming from someone who loves cold and is considering Fairbanks, Alaska as a possible future home.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM

45 posts, read 158,372 times
Okay ; OP said he was driving ................

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 PM

6 posts, read 79,800 times
Thank you everyone for great suggestions! Yes, I understand that the 'real' snow is way up north and I am aware of many wonderful snowy areas throughout the states. Unfortunately this winter I'm unable to fly, but I still wanted my son to experience real (compare to S FL) winter for the first time. We were planing on going at end of December.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 PM

99 posts, read 390,455 times
I'm also in the same boat. last year was able to go to colorado, but unable to this year. Was thinking of driving somewhere in NC from fl. Just not sure of a good spot so the kids could play and do alittle sledding. Some of the sledding places you have to be 5 or a certain height and my youngest is 4. I'm dreaming of a little cabin on a snowy hill.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 79,159 times
I just researched that topic of "Snow" for our trip at Christmas. There are two ski locations just outside of Asheville. One is north and the other is west (both about 20-30 minutes drive).

We plan to do the snow-tubing for a couple of days just for fun -- they have either real snow or will make the snow for the tubing. We, too, are from South Florida and I know exactly what you want if your child is under 10 years old. We did the same thing but took our child to Switzerland for a sledding holiday two years ago. We were that desperate for the "snow" experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina