Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,704 times

Advertisements

We moved from North Central Maine, after living there for 30+ years, to Central Florida. We have been here for almost 5 years and we have had enough! My wife is a healthcare professional and I am currently a student. We are looking at the areas around Hickory and Morganton. It looks alot like Maine in those areas as I have visited before. Can anyone recommend a small town, not too far from shopping or a small mall, where we can finish raising our children? We are ok with some snow, but we are unsure how often it snows, how much you get in that area, and how long it stays. We loved the country lifestyle we had in Maine, and we both lived in small towns in Maine with under 5000 people, but 6 to 7 months of winter was way too much! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM

76 posts, read 223,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRAQNBACK04 View Post
We moved from North Central Maine, after living there for 30+ years, to Central Florida. We have been here for almost 5 years and we have had enough! My wife is a healthcare professional and I am currently a student. We are looking at the areas around Hickory and Morganton. It looks alot like Maine in those areas as I have visited before. Can anyone recommend a small town, not too far from shopping or a small mall, where we can finish raising our children? We are ok with some snow, but we are unsure how often it snows, how much you get in that area, and how long it stays. We loved the country lifestyle we had in Maine, and we both lived in small towns in Maine with under 5000 people, but 6 to 7 months of winter was way too much! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What program are you currently studying? Think about Boone or any of the small towns within 15 miles of there for starters....

Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:

Hickory is very nice and growing and has easier access to Charlotte Via Rt.77 and Greensboro / Asheville via Rt. I-40. You may want to check out Black Mountain also; it is closer to Asheville and mountain views abound. It is also a very wholesome environment for children, educational considerations and job prospects near Asheville. Black Mountain could very well be on some of the next lists of "best towns" etc.

ME to FL was one extreme to another wasn't it. So many northerners make that mistake. We'll forgive you ... c'mon up to where we have four seasons, all beautiful. A little snow... I have not used my snow shovel in 8 years. It melts by noon.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 7,704 times
Thanks for the help. As far as school, I'm looking at something in the science field. I would have no problem working outside for the National Park Service or something along those lines. My major is Environmental Science right now. Quilter chick, you havn't used your snow shovel in 8 years? That sounds pretty good! How often and for how long are the cold spells in that area? Are the towns in the area prepared for snow, or does everything close when it snows? I probably can come up with alot of questions, but I want to make sure on my next move. I want it to be our last move. Thanks again!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:32 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times
UNC Asheville has a top notch Env Sci program at both the undergrad and masters level. As for working for the NPS or any other gov agency, don't get your heart set on it. I just retired from Interior after 32 years as a research ecologist and jobs are going downhill now and with the budget issues will continue to do so in the immediate future. At my agency in just the last decade we went from having so few office spaces that we had to carve up labs and hallways to fit them in to the point in the last few years where we had such a surplus of offices we were using them for storage. Of course there will be openings in the future but competition will be very tight.

In this area field biologist positions are limited mainly to NPS in the GSMNP, a few along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and a few in the USFS. Even those are tight. I did some work with the USFS biologist for the GWNF and TJNF in Virginia and she used to have to work outside her area at least one month each year to cover her salary. There are some state jobs but those are even more limited and pay a lot less. Even contractor jobs are becoming limited these days. Eventually the economy will expand and some jobs will come back but I expect govt jobs to be limited in the foreseeable future.

Don't want to discourage you just be aware of the situation and make sure you excel enough to be one of those who float to the top. Good luck

Old 11-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. As far as school, I'm looking at something in the science field. I would have no problem working outside for the National Park Service or something along those lines. My major is Environmental Science right now. Quilter chick, you havn't used your snow shovel in 8 years? That sounds pretty good! How often and for how long are the cold spells in that area? Are the towns in the area prepared for snow, or does everything close when it snows? I probably can come up with alot of questions, but I want to make sure on my next move. I want it to be our last move. Thanks again!
Depending on what elevation you are at, you will get some snow here in the mountains. In my locale we are at just about 2300' twenty miles south of Asheville. Last winter there were 3 or 4 "snow storms" amounting to maybe 3" at a time. In 2004 I can remember only one "storm" that put down maybe 6". But it does not last long at all; temps during the day on average in the winter are aroun 40-50 degrees so it melts. If you driveway is in the shade of course, it will melt somewhat and maybe turn to ice overnight. They do close the schools more often than in the flatlands for obvious safety reasons. More steep roads and more unpaves roads in some out of the way areas; very curvy and narrow roads also. Ice: that is the worst problem here because there are so man beautiful tall trees and pines that they become heavy, some can break or topple over, and power outages occur.

If the locals see over 8" of snow, it's a "blizzard".

Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,207 times
I moved to Leicester, NC in June 2010 and it's just the right distance to all the necessities, but quiet and rural and absolutely beautiful. My property has both a stream and pond, and only 30 minutes from Asheville.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:29 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
I was just about to come and say the same thing as cofga about the NPS and related jobs. I've been applying to numerous jobs all over the country with the park service, forestry, and other groups and have yet to get anywhere. I thought I'd be able to find one easy around here. I very quickly learned I was dreaming. Talking to those employed by them, they say don't set your heart on living anywhere more than a few years if you do manage to get in because they move you around so much. If you don't want to move from here, I wouldn't suggest looking into the NPS.

In fact, you would think this area would be crawling with biological jobs. Its not. I am planning to move to Raleigh or out west in March due to not being able to come by a job in almost two years.

Also, I'm not sure how someone said they haven't used a snow shovel in 8 years. Last year we had several 15 inches + snow storms. People sat here and complained about how awful last winter was. Yet they fail to realize that was what a WNC winter was always like until the last 10-20 years or so, that or they aren't from here and didn't know that anyways.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM

Well we didn't have "several 15" snowstorms" here in Hendersonville. We are further "south" and at a lower elevation than Fairview.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Talking to those employed by them, they say don't set your heart on living anywhere more than a few years if you do manage to get in because they move you around so much. If you don't want to move from here, I wouldn't suggest looking into the NPS.

This really isn't true. I spent the last 32 years working for Interior as an ecologist and all of them in the same building! The biologist at the Shen Nat Pk that I used to work with had been there for at least 10 years when he voluntarily moved to take a job with Fish and Wildlife in Ariz. Same story for the USFS biologist in the GWNF and TJNF. She ahs been there for years and is a local. The USFS biologist I know down here also is a local. Now if you are into management then yes you should expect to move aroud if you want to climb the ladder to a Nat Park or Nat Forest super.

In fact, you would think this area would be crawling with biological jobs. Its not. I am planning to move to Raleigh or out west in March due to not being able to come by a job in almost two years.

Here's a tip. I never got a job by just applying for it and never hired anyone that way. I got my start as a volunteer and that became my ticket to a career. And when I needed a field asst I would go to the local college and ask around among my old profs for good students or I'd hire from the vols or summer students. It really is a matter of who you know not what you know in many cases.

Also, I'm not sure how someone said they haven't used a snow shovel in 8 years. Last year we had several 15 inches + snow storms. People sat here and complained about how awful last winter was. Yet they fail to realize that was what a WNC winter was always like until the last 10-20 years or so, that or they aren't from here and didn't know that anyways.

In Weaverville we got the 12" heavy snow in Dec last year then several dustings the rest of the winter. Only used my shovel once for the Dec snow--the rest melted off by noon each day.

Responses

Last edited by Cofga; 12-01-2010 at 06:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina