U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 PM

44,326 posts, read 54,810,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Important and up to date BRP information:

Blue Ridge Parkway - Road Closures (U.S. National Park Service)

That's good info about the Doughton Park area of the Parkway being closed now until the spring

Fortunately the detour is very easy and won't cost our OP much time while still giving them pretty countryside to look at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 12:29 PM

2,467 posts, read 3,051,928 times
QuilterChick,
I picked "Clayton,GA" simply as a first day get to point, further north than "Atlanta".
LoveMountains: nice itinerary, but your suggestion is 4 days.

OP, I still feel it can't be done in three days, unless one is zooming by one little section of the
BRPkway, and then back on the interstate, esp in these shorter day times.
GL, mD

Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
QuilterChick,
I picked "Clayton,GA" simply as a first day get to point, further north than "Atlanta".
LoveMountains: nice itinerary, but your suggestion is 4 days.

OP, I still feel it can't be done in three days, unless one is zooming by one little section of the
BRPkway, and then back on the interstate, esp in these shorter day times.
GL, mD
Perhaps I misread...I took the OP to mean they had three days from Atlanta

If the trip to Atlanta from Florida has to be considered than you are right, it will be a four day trip.

I hope the OP comes back and clarifies. If they truly only have 3 days from Florida to Rhode Island they will only have time to see a small section of the Parkway near Fancy Gap, VA at most.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 4,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Perhaps I misread...I took the OP to mean they had three days from Atlanta

If the trip to Atlanta from Florida has to be considered than you are right, it will be a four day trip.

I hope the OP comes back and clarifies. If they truly only have 3 days from Florida to Rhode Island they will only have time to see a small section of the Parkway near Fancy Gap, VA at most.
The trip is 3 days starting from FL. I'll spend the night at Atlanta, GA. So, that already cost me one day. I'm planning to zoom through the area at 6/7am and get to Chimney Rock Park at around 10am or so. I'll spend about an hr there to sightsee (I heard it's pretty there). After that, I'm gonna drive by Linville Falls and Linn Cove Viaduct. Is the viaduct near its visitor center? I can't find it on Google Map. That should take about 3 more hrs. After, I'm planning to drive straight to Staunton, VA or some nearby entrance Skyline Drive area and rest for the night. The next day, I'll drive through Skyline Dr and go straight to RI. I should make it to RI by Thursday night, right?

Old 11-28-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimeaciax View Post
The trip is 3 days starting from FL. I'll spend the night at Atlanta, GA. So, that already cost me one day. I'm planning to zoom through the area at 6/7am and get to Chimney Rock Park at around 10am or so. I'll spend about an hr there to sightsee (I heard it's pretty there). After that, I'm gonna drive by Linville Falls and Linn Cove Viaduct. Is the viaduct near its visitor center? I can't find it on Google Map. That should take about 3 more hrs. After, I'm planning to drive straight to Staunton, VA or some nearby entrance Skyline Drive area and rest for the night. The next day, I'll drive through Skyline Dr and go straight to RI. I should make it to RI by Thursday night, right?
NO WAY. Your trip is overly ambitious.

If you now want to see Chimney Rock Park you'll be adding even more time.

You need to understand, these areas you want to see are off the beaten path - they take time to reach. And once you reach them don't you want to spend more than 5 minutes enjoying them?? Nobody just "drives by" Linville Falls, lol. It takes a while to reach it on the Parkway for one thing and for another thing you have to get out and hike to the overlook to see it. Also, Chimney Rock is awesome, but you need a few hours there at least, especially once you've paid the entrance fee of about 15 bucks to get in! And no way will you reach Chimney Rock from Atlanta in 3 hours. Give yourself more like 5 hours.

Trust me, if you only have 3 days for this trip you really don't have time to do so much. You could follow my route (Interstate 85 to hwy 321 up to the mountains), not spend the night in Blowing Rock or Boone, not see the Mast General Store, and just take hwy 421 once you've seen Linn Cove Viaduct to connect up with interstate 77. Head north and drive at least as far as Roanoke. Then the third day will be to get you from Roanoke to Rhode Island in about 12 hours.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:18 PM

2,467 posts, read 3,051,928 times
OP:
If Linville Viaduct/G'father Mtn are a stop point on Day 2, I would blow out of GA at the crack of dawn, run 85 to I-26, get off I-26 in TN near Unicoi, traverse across to Blowing Rock, and Linville Viaduct is just south of Blowing Rock, at ~ mm 302 on BR Pkway. G'father Mtn entrance is on parallel road 105.

GOOG map:
Unicoi, TN to Blowing Rock, NC - Google Maps

For better local BRP detail, see the BRP map pdf I pasted a few pages back, and scroll down to Linville/Blowing Rock area.

Fwiw, Staunton, VA to Pro, RI is ~600 miles and doable in a day, barring some calamity on the route.
GL, mD

Old 11-28-2010, 01:25 PM

5,647 posts, read 5,244,363 times
If he's spending a night in Atlanta, then he definitely has to come into Hendersonville via I-26 and get off at Rt. 64 East, if he wants to get to Chimney Rock. Yes, Chimney Rock is too ambitious, save that for another time or give up something else. Plus most everything there is closed at this time of the year, it's a ghost town. I'm not even sure that CR is open?

Roanoke to RI ? almost impossible in one day. As I said before, Hendersonville to Providence is 17 hrs., a 2 day trip sensibly, and that is with an overnight around Carlisle PA -- then the following day to Prov. and that's with no full meals at restaurants and no sightseeing involved. I can make it from Hendersonville steady driving to Carlisle PA in about 8 hrs. depending on traffic on 81 ... 70 mph + There is always some construction on Rt. 84 through NY that will hold you up too.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
OP:
If Linville Viaduct/G'father Mtn are a stop point on Day 2, I would blow out of GA at the crack of dawn, run 85 to I-26, get off I-26 in TN near Unicoi, traverse across to Blowing Rock, and Linville Viaduct is just south of Blowing Rock, at ~ mm 302 on BR Pkway. G'father Mtn entrance is on parallel road 105.

GOOG map:
Unicoi, TN to Blowing Rock, NC - Google Maps

For better local BRP detail, see the BRP map pdf I pasted a few pages back, and scroll down to Linville/Blowing Rock area.

Fwiw, Staunton, VA to Pro, RI is ~600 miles and doable in a day, barring some calamity on the route.
GL, mD
David, your route from Atlanta to Linville would not be quickest I'm afraid, though it would be pretty My route from I85 to hwy 321 near Gastonia gets them there roughly an hour quicker.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
If he's spending a night in Atlanta, then he definitely has to come into Hendersonville via I-26 and get off at Rt. 64 East, if he wants to get to Chimney Rock. Yes, Chimney Rock is too ambitious, save that for another time or give up something else. Plus most everything there is closed at this time of the year, it's a ghost town. I'm not even sure that CR is open?

Roanoke to RI ? almost impossible in one day. As I said before, Hendersonville to Providence is 17 hrs., a 2 day trip sensibly, and that is with an overnight around Carlisle PA -- then the following day to Prov. and that's with no full meals at restaurants and no sightseeing involved. I can make it from Hendersonville steady driving to Carlisle PA in about 8 hrs. depending on traffic on 81 ... 70 mph + There is always some construction on Rt. 84 through NY that will hold you up too.
Roanoke to Providence, Rhode Island is not impossible in one day. Mapquest calls it "11 hours and 7 minutes"

Old 11-28-2010, 01:42 PM

5,647 posts, read 5,244,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Roanoke to Providence, Rhode Island is not impossible in one day. Mapquest calls it "11 hours and 7 minutes"

If you've done that route, I guess you could speak from experience. If not, give it a good college try and report back. 11 hrs. in one day is a minimum, and in a perfect world with no accidents, no road conditions, no construction, no state troopers, and no stopping. Believe me I do it more often than I'd like, and only once in the winter. You get up around Port Jervis NY and Wilkes Barre / Scranton, and the weather in the winter can be ugly.

Whatever, I'm parking at Charlotte Douglas next month and taking the easy way, direct flight to PVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina