Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 AM

30 posts, read 77,558 times

Advertisements

@ Francois, I did see the sign on 40 for the NC school for the deaf, thank you.

@ EnglishCream: I never thought of the bad weather beiong a factor in the commute. Thank you all for your insight.

I don't know yet if were going to be relocating there even if he does get the job. It just didn't feel like home for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 06:30 PM

30 posts, read 77,558 times
My husband said he would get a 4x4 and drive slow or stay overnight if it was too bad. We're used to driving on ice and snow living up north. We really want to get out of the city that isn't a dealbreaker for him. He will do the commute until he found something in Spartanburg.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,475,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kidsrenough4us View Post
My husband said he would get a 4x4 and drive slow or stay overnight if it was too bad. We're used to driving on ice and snow living up north. We really want to get out of the city that isn't a dealbreaker for him. He will do the commute until he found something in Spartanburg.
Driving on ice and snow here in and out of these mountain roads is treacherous, especially over near Marion, and I40 to I26 or however he's going down to Spartanburg is nothing like driving in snow on flat roads up north. Is it all possible for you to find somewhere in between to make life easier and safer? All the best to you in your new venture.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM

181 posts, read 330,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kidsrenough4us View Post
Hello everyone, My husband and I currently live in Philadelphia and my husband has been applying for jobs in NC and SC. We lived in SC in 2007-2008but my husband was laid off due to the recession so we moved back home and he finished his bachelors degree. Now he's finally finished and we want to get back down to the Carolinas. My husband has a job internview on Tuesday in Marion, NC. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

We will be there on Tuesday 12/7 and I thought since we're there would it be jumping the gun if we looked at a few rentals? I would like to look at the area and schools. if he were offered the position we wouldn't have another chance to come back down so I think this would be the best time to find a place.

I found a few on craiglist that look nice and affordable but we're from philly and we get taxed out the wazoo and gas is already $3.00 a gallon so a house under $1,000 is affordable. We live in a 2bedroom apartment and pay $750 and have no space and share a basement.

Our daughter is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids. She attends a excellent school here and she has a interpreter and a certified hard of hearing teacher in the classroom with her all day. I'm hoping we can find a school that will accomidate her, does anyone know if there's any inclusion schools or programs for our daughter?

Also, how's the crime in Marion? I'm sure it's not as bad in Philly but here we know the bad neighborhoods and the good neighborhoods. Are there any parts of Marion to stay away from? Any gangs, ghettos or projects?

We want to live on acerage where houses are far far apart. No subdivisions! We want seclusion and space the exact opposite of what we have here.

One more question, if you work for the state do you have to live in NC? In case we decide of move back to SC where we were in 07-08 I would commute about an hour to Marion if I was allowed. I'm sure I'll get taxed in both states but I'm ok with that.

Thank you in advance for your responses, have a blessed day!
We lived in Rockland County (30 mi. north of NYC) and we're now in Asheville (a year). Be careful viewing craigslist - it's a start but what you read and what you see may be two totally separate things. Taxes are lower here but so are the services... SC may be even worse. We made the right move for us (I was in IT and was laid off and couldn't find work - had to move).

Good questions about crime rates. Have you tried an online search? Years ago (1997ish), we considered a moved to Charlotte and found a fabulous city map with crime icons per area. When you hone in on a neighborhood call the cops and ask them about the rates. Although a real estate agent is not supposed to divulge this info, there are ways of getting it from them just not blatantly.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,035 times
Seriously, I'm originally from up North, and am very used to driving in snow and ice, but I wouldn't dream of being on those mountain roads in those conditions unless I happened to have a deathwish.

Even in the rain some of the backroads can be very dangerous. Driving on them in ice would be unimaginable.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,475,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGuy123123 View Post
Seriously, I'm originally from up North, and am very used to driving in snow and ice, but I wouldn't dream of being on those mountain roads in those conditions unless I happened to have a deathwish.

Even in the rain some of the backroads can be very dangerous. Driving on them in ice would be unimaginable.

this thread is two years old now ... wonder if the OP ever dedided to come here after all. FWIW, I'm also from the northeast, and unless you live at a very high elevation and drive on black ice, there is no comparison to the road conditions here, at least south of Asheville "down here" in Henderson County. We've driven back and forth to the northeast during the winter at times, and the only place I get slighty nervous is coming through the mountains up by Erwin TN. The scenery is incredible though ! sometimes distracting if you don't keep your eyes on the road.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 PM

8,784 posts, read 10,202,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I'm no expert on Marion, but judging by previous threads on City Data, it seems to be one of the least desirable places in the mountains.

Maybe someone could chime in about whether there's a good nearby place to live if you work there.
It is.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 AM

128 posts, read 157,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
It is.
Well, to be fair, all the cities nearby to include Morganton, 'RAWF-ton' (locals know what I mean ), Shelby, Hickory,... with the exception of Asheville (CITY LIMITS, mind you), aren't any better in many regards. Since the disappearance of many of the textile and manufacturing opportunities beginning in the mid-to-late nineties (among other changes I am not at liberty to talk about here), the whole area has been going downhill, particularly the foothills region.

Last edited by Erix; 04-10-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 03:07 PM

172 posts, read 288,774 times
(and now it is five years old). But since I saw this newly replied, I wanted to add that I drove into Marion recently and then turned around and drove back out. It appeared to be desolate with no pedestrian activity that I noticed. The only thing that stood out was the police station which looked newer and more noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina