Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

I was so sure about moving to Brevard and then decided to keep renting here for a while and take it slow.

I somehow knew that radon was higher there, but finding out about it in water caused me to do more research. The house we had been interested in there had a well!

The more I think about it, the more wary I am. I breathed a ton of second-hand smoke when I was married before, so I feel my lungs are a bit compromised. The thought of possibly adding radon into the mix is scary.

The experts say that even if a house tests low for radon, the readings can change due to cracks and settling. What a pain in the ***!

I don't want a log home because they have to be re-stained and sealed so often. Some friends recently spent $10,000 to have their very new home redone and now wonder what they were thinking when they built it because it won't last long.

Likewise, it seems like you can never rest assured about the radon. Like a log home, it's a job that's never done!

Anyone think I'm overreacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 02:13 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Anyone think I'm overreacting?
Well, yes and no! It is important to be aware of these potential issues and then look out for them before you commit to a contract. Here in NC it is much harder to back out of a contract than in some other states. So get the radon tests in both the air and water if it is on a well. Most sources suggest testing for radon once or twice a year because foundations do settle and cracks open. Conditions in GW are not likely to change much where radon is concerned unless something happens in your area that alters the normal flowpaths (such as a major development putting in a lot of new wells or a single common well that pumps a lot of water). If you have a basement that you plan to finish out them make sure to check all the contacts at the wall/floor and have them sealed tight before installing the wall finishing.

Of course you could build with a ventilated craw space and make sure you are on city water etc., etc. but don't become paralyzed with fear. Look into as many of the possible issues associated with a given area and that is where having a real estate agent with a lot of experience and knowledge will avoid problems. For example ask your agent about radon and if he/she doesn't know as much as you do then go find another agent. And don't be afraid to ask here if you have questions but remember that this board is full of self-appointed experts so take the responses with a grain of salt.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:19 PM

What is "GW"?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:22 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
What is "GW"?
Ground Water...sometimes referred to as surface aquifer,
or "unconfined aquifer", depending on which class one took.

As opposed to a (usually deeper), well water, drawing water from a confined aquifer.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Well, yes and no! It is important to be aware of these potential issues and then look out for them before you commit to a contract. Here in NC it is much harder to back out of a contract than in some other states. So get the radon tests in both the air and water if it is on a well. Most sources suggest testing for radon once or twice a year because foundations do settle and cracks open. Conditions in GW are not likely to change much where radon is concerned unless something happens in your area that alters the normal flowpaths (such as a major development putting in a lot of new wells or a single common well that pumps a lot of water). If you have a basement that you plan to finish out them make sure to check all the contacts at the wall/floor and have them sealed tight before installing the wall finishing.

Of course you could build with a ventilated craw space and make sure you are on city water etc., etc. but don't become paralyzed with fear. Look into as many of the possible issues associated with a given area and that is where having a real estate agent with a lot of experience and knowledge will avoid problems. For example ask your agent about radon and if he/she doesn't know as much as you do then go find another agent. And don't be afraid to ask here if you have questions but remember that this board is full of self-appointed experts so take the responses with a grain of salt.

Cofga: I need to remind you that radon mitigation is not an area of "expertise" for Realtors:

".... associated with a given area and that is where having a real estate agent with a lot of experience and knowledge will avoid problems. For example ask your agent about radon and if he/she doesn't know as much as you do then go find another agent. "

There is no need to find another agent unless the agent is incompetent in other areas. An experienced real estate or even a new agent, will not venture into the realm of advising out of their sphere of knowledge; it is not only careless to do so, but could be against the law in several instances. The Realtor's duty is to suggest and/or refer their clients to a selection of experts in the local area.

Only licensed radon mitigation experts and licensed home inspectors can advise on the subject.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 12-12-2010 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Cofga: I need to remind you that radon mitigation is not an area of "expertise" for Realtors:

".... associated with a given area and that is where having a real estate agent with a lot of experience and knowledge will avoid problems. For example ask your agent about radon and if he/she doesn't know as much as you do then go find another agent. "

There is no need to find another agent unless the agent is incompetent in other areas. An experienced real estate or even a new agent, will not venture into the realm of advising out of their sphere of knowledge; it is not only careless to do so, but could be against the law in several instances. The Realtor's duty is to suggest and/or refer their clients to a selection of experts in the local area.

Only licensed radon mitigation experts and licensed home inspectors can advise on the subject.
I wouldn't expect a realtor to provide mitigation advice. However (and this is just an example) if I asked about radon and he said it wasn't a anything to worry about or knew nothing about it then I'd head out his door fast. Also, if I were looking at a house down gradient from the old CTS plant in Arden and I asked about any water quality issues I'd expect him/her to be aware of it and refer me to the EPA or state water quality folks. There is a difference between knowing the area you serve and giving technical advice.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
after inspection our house came back with 12 pCi/L. so it's 3 times higher than it should be (and 12 times higher than I wanted it to be )
the health of my family is a big concern, but I won't back out of the contract because of this, I just want to take really good care of it.

I wonder, why the former owner did not bother, they had a water filtration system in the basement (we are in city water), but nothing to take care of the radon.

Usually the testing is taking place in the basement, right ? for our next testing I most of all want the bedrooms being tested.

I found this a very informative site and my questions were pretty much answered.

Article Understanding Radon (http://www.discoverit.com/at/phi/article.html - broken link)

they say, between 10 and 12 it would be a hard decision, but I don't think so. keep the risk as low as possible (especially with a family history of cancer) is my motto.

sealing all cracks will be one of the first things and installing this mitigation system.

I wonder... what's with radon outdoors ? it's coming out of the soil, so if I would plan on a veggie garden or my kids and pets digging holes ..... should that be a concern too ? Or is it just the indoor result, I should worry about ?

I can't understand, how one CAN'T take care of that actually .

If anybody happens to know: where exactly is this radon coming from ?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 AM

Radon comes from the radioactive decay of small amounts of radium in the rocks around here. The concern is with it in enclosed areas where there isn't enough exchange with the outside air to dilute it. That also is why you often get higher radon readings during the winter months compared to summer since the house is all sealed up. By sealing the foundation cracks and installing the mitigation system you prevent it from leaking into the house from the surrounding soil and should be able to get the readings down below the MCL. Outside there will be no problems, and since it is a gas it's not something that will accumulate in vegetables, etc. Since you'll be on city water there are no issues with it in your drinking or bath water. Make sure the test was done in the basement area with all the windows closed. I'd also ask for additional tests on the main level in high use rooms like the bedrooms, kitchen or family room. The high concentrations may only be in the basement and this will help you decide on a mitigation plan.--Larry

Last edited by Cofga; 01-11-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
after inspection our house came back with 12 pCi/L. so it's 3 times higher than it should be (and 12 times higher than I wanted it to be )
the health of my family is a big concern, but I won't back out of the contract because of this, I just want to take really good care of it.

I wonder, why the former owner did not bother, they had a water filtration system in the basement (we are in city water), but nothing to take care of the radon.

Usually the testing is taking place in the basement, right ? for our next testing I most of all want the bedrooms being tested.

I found this a very informative site and my questions were pretty much answered.

Article Understanding Radon (http://www.discoverit.com/at/phi/article.html - broken link)

they say, between 10 and 12 it would be a hard decision, but I don't think so. keep the risk as low as possible (especially with a family history of cancer) is my motto.

sealing all cracks will be one of the first things and installing this mitigation system.

I wonder... what's with radon outdoors ? it's coming out of the soil, so if I would plan on a veggie garden or my kids and pets digging holes ..... should that be a concern too ? Or is it just the indoor result, I should worry about ?

I can't understand, how one CAN'T take care of that actually .

If anybody happens to know: where exactly is this radon coming from ?
It's coming from all the rock - it's a naturally occuring gas

To quote the "experts": Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas and comes from the natural breakdown (radioactive decay) of uranium. It is usually found in igneous rock and soil, but in some cases, well water may also be a source of radon

Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Yes to what Cofga said. Radon is not a problem outdoors whatsoever - only in places where it gets trapped and can build up.

From what I've read, even if you mitigate it, you should still have it tested on a regular basis because the readings can change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina