Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:15 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Driving Sunday night (12/12/10) in the Boone area will be treacherous, possibly deadly. I'm not overstating this! If we are under a Winter Storm WARNING, DO NOT drive up here!! At the least it will be a boring stay in the motel room, at worst you will be involved in a wreck. By Tuesday the roads should be passable.

If you're in a 4x4 you MIGHT be able to make it up to the ski areas. If you wait until Tuesday you will have a great trip and will enjoy your stay. If you do come up anyway, drive slow in the snow, have an emergency kit (water/snacks/blankets) in the car in case you end up in a ditch, and make sure your phones are charged. *47 is the # for the highway patrol.

Do not be fooled. It will rain until you hit about 3000' feet normally about 20 minutes outside of Boone. That 20 minutes will take you at least an hour or more and will be the most dangerous part of your trip. You will not be able to see more than 2 car lengths ahead. Keep a very close eye on the weather, 7-Day Forecast for Latitude 36.2°N and Longitude 81.66°W right now forecasters are forecasting winds Sunday night in the 60 mph range. If you hit a patch of ice, you WILL be off the road.

PLEASE wait until Tuesday!! The ski slopes will still be here, I promise. Grandfather Mountain will be closed probably until at least Thursday. Unless you want to experience blizzard conditions firsthand, be smart and wait.

I'm a pastor, a pilot, and a weather geek! You can trust me!!

Seriously, Tracey
Tracey, no one ever goes in a ditch around here in an area with cell phone service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
EVERYONE in the High Country is taking this storm very seriously. Blizzard conditions are expected sun evening and all day monday. I agree w/ Tracey....it is NO time to be on the road. Tonight we are expecting sleet turning to snow....that is NOT the worst of it...it's tomorrow afternoon/ evening when the 'SHOW' begins. Don't take a chance of ending up in a ditch, by tomorrow if the storm takes the projected path the warning will be STAY OFF THE ROADS. God forbid someone spins or slides....FORGET the cell phone....someone could (God forbid) be having a heart attack and the road needs to be accessible to emergency vehicles. CAPISH????? I stocked up today as others did, mainly horse feed, dog food....I won't starve but I can't give my horses a can of Cambells soup! Stay warm, stay safe, I even have my oil lamps ready in case the power goes out (during the night) According to the forecast we may feel like we are in the movie "The Shining"....YES...it could be THAT BAD.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:10 PM

ps, I live in the High Country.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:28 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,773 times
I got my hay and feed in, the wood stacked on the porch, full propane tank for my no electric cooking/heating, full tank of gas in the car, car pointed downhill . . . I'm ready! we are close enough in the foothills to never know just what it's going to do here. We'll probably get sleet/rain/snow but not much. I do have to go "up the mountain" to Blowing Rock in the morning. That church thing ya know . . . If it turns colder sooner than expected and there's ice I stay home. I'm not preaching so it's no big deal. My windy (like a watch not windy weather) twisty roads are not treated EVER and ice easily. I'm supposed to have a food pantry delivery from Second Harvest Food Bank on Monday . . . yeah, right! Another day in the life!

Tracey

Old 12-11-2010, 04:46 PM

Default Cell phones & ditches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Tracey, no one ever goes in a ditch around here in an area with cell phone service.
People go into ditches all the time up here, usually because they're ON their cell phones!!

If it is really bad and a car slides off the road there is no guarantee that they will have any cell service up here, or that EMS will be able to get to them even if they have a signal. We have many places up here that don't have service at all, my home being one of them, the entire parkway in this area is a dead zone, most of Ashe County is a dead zone, and about 1/2 of Blowing Rock doesn't get a signal ether. This is not Asheville.

Our winter weather in the NW corner is more akin to Minnesota but with mountains. And our snow usually melts after a week or so. But when we get a really bad blow, 2" of snow/hr w/30mph winds gusting to 50 and visibility down to less than 1/4 mile, rescue can't get to people who are stranded, cell phone or not. It's just common sense to have water, snacks and a blanket just in case. NCHP will tell you (on your cell phone no less) to run your car engine 10 minutes every 30 for heat, crack a window for fresh air, and hunker down until they can get to you. You've never been stranded in a blizzard, have you?

Banner Elk in Avery County is forecast to get a foot of snow before Tuesday. I have a friend up there, new to the area, who put his car in a ditch last week. It's still there! (And he has a cell phone too. Who knew?) I tried to tell him, "Don't rent for the winter on Beech Mountain!" Did he listen, no and now he and his family are stuck up there for who knows how long!! His wife is a tad ticked off . . .

Geesh

I really hope the forecasters are totally wrong about this one and it turns into a non-event. That would make me VERY happy!

Tracey

Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM

This just in . . .

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING ABOVE 3000 FEET FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH
IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON SUNDAY TO 7 AM EST TUESDAY. A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TONIGHT TO NOON EST SUNDAY.

* ACCUMULATION...1 TO 3 INCHES OF MAINLY SNOW TONIGHT...FOLLOWED
BY 6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...EARLY ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE LATE TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY
MORNING...WITH HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
MONDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...SNOW AND ICE COVERED ROADS INCLUDING BLOWING AND
DRIFTING SNOW.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST AT 15 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 55 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...ZERO AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE TEENS BY SUNDAY NIGHT AND
SINGLE DIGITS BY MONDAY NIGHT.

* WIND CHILL...ZERO TO AS LOW AS 15 BELOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW
ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN
EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...
AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

THE PUBLIC IS ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS...OR ICE
ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE VIA EMAIL AT
RNK.SKYWARN@NOAA.GOV OR AT PHONE NUMBER 1...8 6 6...2 1 5...4 3 2
4.FOR ADDITIONAL WEATHER INFORMATION...VISIT US ON THE WEB AT
HTTP://WWW.ERH.NOAA.GOV OR AT HTTP://WEATHER.GOV.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Winter storm warning posted here too....ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY....to the OP, I highly doubt Grandfather Mountain will be open tomorrow, I hope you reschedule and have a FABULOUS trip!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM

179 posts, read 399,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What is your name, we'll watch the news. haha

AAhaaa ha ha...you're soo funny, you should be a stand up comedian...

Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 PM

179 posts, read 399,569 times
Thanks for the warnings and all the weather input you guys put in. It still sucks that i opened this thread to know what to do up there and we could not keep it in track, somebody should have opened a weather thread for that. Anyways...i did go and had an awesome time! I arrived at Boone at 6am with snow everywhere and drove fine all day. Went to the Appalachian Ski Mountain and skied from 9 til 3 pm. Then we went sight seeing, ate, walked around. We will be going back in January when the snow is not to bad so we can go to Grandfathers Mntn. By the way if you have an AWD vehicle i don't see what the problem is, i drove a FWD civic for 5 hours and it was not hard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina