U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2007, 05:09 PM

143 posts, read 356,592 times

Advertisements

We had a radon test done on the home we are wanting to purchase and it came back with 5pCi/L in the basement. The basement is not liveable space and the home inspector said if he were to test for radon on the next level it would be below the guidelines of 4pCi/L.
Should this be a cause for concern?
When I say the basement is not liveable space I mean there is no acess to it except from outside but it does have good headroom so at some point the basement could be converted into a useable space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 AM

92 posts, read 299,095 times
Well, I personally wouldn't worry about a test result of 5. If you decide to finish the basement later and are going to spend a lot of time down there then retest it at that time. You can then decide if you need/want to do some kind of remediation if it comes back > 4.

The only other concerns on radon I've read are if you already have some lung problems or if you have young children.

Of course, everyone has their own personal level of comfort with these kinds of things so ultimately you'll probably want to read up on affects of radon and make your own decision.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 31,767 times
THE ABOVE MEMBER IS WRONG PERIOD! 5.0 IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL THE READINGS ARE IN TRILLIONS SO YOUR READING IS 5,000,000,000,000 YES GET IT FIXED. The remediation is quick and easy done by certifed professionals in a couple of hours.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:04 PM

92 posts, read 299,095 times
I don't think the majority of the literature out there agrees with your position that a reading of 5 absolutely requires remediation. Note, that the author stated the basement is not liveable space. That is a key factor.

See the following info from the website below. The author of that website is a professional home inspector. A simple search on Radon will find many sites with similar info and conclusions. As I said in my original post, everyone has to look at all the factors and determine what their personal risk level is.

BTW, I have radon remediation in my own home so I'm not anti-remediation or against builders/contractors selling radon remediation. However, we spend lots of time in our finished basement and the test levels prior to remediation were approx 15. The key is understanding the factors and making a reasoned assessment. You might want to read people's posts and do a bit more research next time before stating someone is absolutely wrong IMHO.

Article Understanding Radon

9. WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THE LEVELS OF RADON IN MY HOME?
The following represents our opinion, based on our understanding of the radon issue from several sources.

A... If the house tests above 20 pCi/L most experts agree it is prudent to install a system that can permanently reduce your families exposure to radon.
B... If the house tests below 4 pCi/L most experts agree that there is a relatively low probability of significant health risk at this low level of exposure. However, we recommend retesting the radon levels once you move in, to verify this low reading. Industry surveys show that up to 30% of the radon tests in real estate transactions are subject to some ventilation. LET THE BUYER BEWARE. We once tested a house, that measured 168 pCi/L in a child's bedroom. The selling agent ordered a retest by a tester known to test on the second floor with the windows open. He told my clients the house only measured 3.5 pCi/L and they didn't have a radon problem. Although he never gave my clients a written report stating this.
C... If the house tests between 4 and 20 pCi/L there is no need for immediate panic, but you will have to make some difficult decisions. About 50% of the houses we test fall in this gray area. The average Colorado home measures 5.9 pCi/L. The national average is 1.5 pCi/L and outside air measures about 0.35 pCi/L. The closer to 4 or 20 pCi/L the easier the decision should be. The most difficult decisions are in the 10 to 12 pCi/L range.

10. WHAT OTHER FACTORS SHOULD I LOOK AT IN DECIDING WHETHER TO MITIGATE OR NOT?
Cigarette smokers should keep their exposure to radon as low as possible. Smokers have eight times the risk from radon as non smokers. Smokers who reduce their radon exposure from 6 pCi/L to 2 pCi/L, will receive as much beneficial risk reduction as the non smoker who reduces their exposure from 34 pCi/L to 2 pCi/L.

If the house was tested in an infrequently used basement. It may have measured a radon level that is two to three times the actual level you are exposed to, spending most of your time upstairs.
You can reduce your families annual radon exposure about 40%, if you open the basement windows a few inches to allow cross ventilation from May till September. This may be appropriate for slightly elevated houses that don't need year round reductions.

People with young children should be more concerned with the possible consequences of radon exposure 20 years from now than someone in their late sixties or seventies.

Families with a hereditary predisposition of cancer should be more concerned about radon exposure than families who don't have any history of cancer.
If you work for a company that might transfer you in the future, our employer probably will hire a relocation company to purchase your home. Today, most relocation companies insist that the house test below 4 pCi/L before they will buy it. Some buyers have adopted this position; anything below 4 pCi/L is fine while anything above 4 pCi/L is unacceptable. This unfortunate misinterpretation of EPA guidance, could cause you to pay for a radon mitigation system when selling your home. At this time your family would not receive any benefit from the radon reductions.

The decision, What to do about radon? is a personal choice that only you can make. Some people feel it is best to reduce as many of life's risks as they can. Other people feel the money spent installing and operating a radon mitigation system on a moderately elevated home could be put to better use, having regular family medical and dental check ups, or making other safety improvements in their home.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:26 PM

234 posts, read 842,044 times
I totally agree with Researching. I had radon of 68 pci/l. But it is living space. I had the seller put in a mitgation system for 1500$. It brought it down to 2 pci/l.

don't worry about 4 pci/l

Old 07-31-2007, 07:13 PM

100 posts, read 246,571 times
Question As to location--

I am considering moving to the Lenoir area from southern Md. I plan on having a home inspection of whatever house I buy there. Is a radon test the normal thing for that area?
Thanks, fredda

Old 07-31-2007, 07:53 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,324,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredda View Post
I am considering moving to the Lenoir area from southern Md. I plan on having a home inspection of whatever house I buy there. Is a radon test the normal thing for that area?
Thanks, fredda
The EPA recommends buyers get a Radon test for any area.

http://www.ncradon.org/docs/epahmbuygud.pdf

Old 08-01-2007, 08:15 AM

100 posts, read 246,571 times
Smile MM34b

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the link.
fredda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina